The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet -- Kesler One Of 2012 Disappointments

combover

as per sportsnet:

Ryan Kesler, Vancouver Canucks

While the Canucks have another Northwest Division title under their belts and another chance to reach the Stanley Cup final, one part of their team that has regressed this season is Ryan Kesler.

Kesler, a 40-goal scorer last season and someone who has averaged 69 points over the last three seasons, struggled offensively this season for his hockey club. While Kesler will either get close to the 50-point mark or get just below it, it will be a low for him in his last three seasons after getting 73 points last season and 75 points the season prior.

On the other hand, Kesler has done everything else right for the Canucks. He kills penalties, is aggressive, works hard and creates scoring chances.

With that said, when the Canucks needed him to step up offensively this year, Kesler failed to come through in the manner in which he usually does.

anything to write something negative about a team that has been in the top half of the standings for 90% of the season. he fails to mention the surgery Kes had in the off season.

only vancouver gets negative media for being a winner

^^^^^^^ and im guessing he didnt get a chance to shoot 100-150 pucks a day in the offseason, w.e. number it was, that was a huge reason for his offensive burst last year, his wrister just doesn't have that same quick release and accuracy it had last year

Without keslers stellar performance that he had last season we still are on the verge of winning the presidents trophy. What does it say about our overall team when the sedins are 30 pts behind there previous years pace and so is kesler yet we still are close to top in the leaugue? If kesler cant step it up in the playoffs then he just isnt capable of it for reasons we dont know. but if he can repeat last years playoffs then we will be a stronger playoff team than last year

Kesler I think was overhyped following a season in which his scoring % was way too high and when our PP was clicking at an unbelievable pace. I don't think it's a stretch to say that some people (at least those who are avid fantasy hockey players) knew that Kesler won't have as good of a year that he's had in the last two.

It's a good thing though that Kes's game isn't all about points and scoring. He contributes to many aspects of our game. Not worried about Kesler as much. If he keeps giving his 110%, then no complaints from me.

Kesler I think was overhyped following a season in which his scoring % was way too high and when our PP was clicking at an unbelievable pace. I don't think it's a stretch to say that some people (at least those who are avid fantasy hockey players) knew that Kesler won't have as good of a year that he's had in the last two.

It's a good thing though that Kes's game isn't all about points and scoring. He contributes to many aspects of our game. Not worried about Kesler as much. If he keeps giving his 110%, then no complaints from me.

Oh Man!!!

There is no question Kesler was a "dissapointment" this year.  More so to the Fantasy hockey league owners (myself included :( ! ) than to his team.

This guy is a beast in all aspects. It is my hope that He, and the Twins, will elevate their games come the playoffs.  You can tell these guys are keeping it pretty cool all season in terms of their emotional investments (with exception of the Boston game and the series' between the Wings and Hawks).

You'll see the level of their play exponentially get better when the games actually mean something.

I'd venture to guess that Kesler has even more talent on his wings this year than last. He should be putting up the numbers imo.

With that said, there are several factors why I am not surprised he isn't.... his injury being the main factor imo.

Kes did well last year and throttled the Preds in the playoffs last year. I'd rather have a healthy Kesler going past the second round this year, and to have the opportunity to make an impact when we hoist the Stanley Cup this year.

I wonder if he is still feeling discomfort from his surgery or is hurt in some other way. Despite the team finding ways to win, we DO need more production from our first two lines. Kesler single-handeldy got us past Nashville last year. If he and Booth don't produce, I'm worried about how far we go this year, as teams seem to have figured out how to neutralize Hank and Danny. OTOH, we do have bigger bodies and more grit on lines three and four, and (lately) the goaltending has been consistently good. Overall, I agree that Kes has under-performed and he would probably agree as well.

One assist in his last nine games played.

He is having far more problems offensively -shooting and skating.

I hope he finds his groove but as of yet he is not the player of years gone by.

He has had the full season to recover but is not overpowering the oppostion to date.

It's true. He has been a disappointment so far. But only offensively...

He has had multiple slumps throughout the year. He also doesn't use his teammates very well and is not as smart with the puck, by that I mean when there's a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 chance for example, he'll shoot when he had a player wide open.. OR.. he'll pass when a player is covered when he had a good chance at shooting.. He also seems to give the puck away in the offensive zone a lot more.. But this is all comparing to last year, which I think he overachieved in goals. On defense, he is still great

I know his injury has set him back a bit, but he has had more than enough time to get back into the swing of things right?

Anyways, it all depends on how he does in the playoffs.. If he plays like he did last playoffs, nobody will care about the regular season at all

EDIT: Since we're on the subject, the Sedins could also be considered a disappointment with there play in the second half of the season

Archived