The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Is Not Nhl Ready!

gradin123

Kassian was one of the few players who I thought was actually into the game last night. He made some nice plays in the corner, worked hard, was in on the forecheck. Not sure what else you could have asked from him. I'd like to see him up with Kes.......maybe some of that would rub off on kes, who was one of the worst players on the ice last night

Nope he isn't and Hodgson was, take a look at our pp since trading Hodgson 17% before that it was sitting around 25% I believe. Guess that's what happens when you trade your 2nd pp line's centre. and 3rd leading goal scorer on the team... Still baffles me why he was traded, if he wanted out his value would have only gone up after winning a cup.

Raymond is confused as to what to do. I look at him crashing the net, they blow the whistle and he skimpers away. MAN UP and chirp, dig a bit, don't be a girl.

Kassian will develop. How long did it take CoHo to develop?

Kassian was fine - it was a lame call - not a playoff hockey penalty - all of a sudden we are seeing hair-trigger sensitivity and it is odd - not that I am against calling the game properly in the playoffs....

I can just imagine what Kopitar et al would do if matched up against Hodgson....

Great deals MG.

Ignore them all Zack and keep working hard - you are doing fine and will be a star here.

Read the recent columns from Buffalo. The Sabres and their fans ARE totally happy with the trade. The guy the Canucks should have got back for Hodsgon if they really wanted to do the trade was Foligno. The Sabres people like Foligno better than Kassian, he is also a power forward but he also has some smarts and that is something Kassian lacks and you can't teach brains.

For all the people defending the trade saying Kassian will be a star I again say even if that is true the trade should have waited until the offseason because it is not helping the Canucks right now.

Cody did have a real tough start in Buffalo but in their final 8 games or so he was excellent for them.

Come on guys, how quickly did we forget how badly we needed more size to be able to compete with a bigger team that likes to throw its weight around. For the playoffs, we have to anticipate every possible scenario, whether it be facing a quick forechecking team, a trap team, a team with a solid top 4 defencemen but a weak bottom 2, a big crashing team, etc.

Last year, we made to to the SCF with only 2 scoring lines and an active D (I don't recall significant scoring from the 3rd and 4th liners), so what's to say we can't do the same again. And this time, instead of having an undersized, under-aggressive bottom six, we would actually have a pretty good forechecking line with offensive upside (Higgins/Lapierre, Hansen, Pahlsson) and the option to have a crashing line (Bitz, Kassian, Malhotra) or a more offensive line (Ebbett, Malhotra, whoever).

I don't expect Kassian to be a superstar offensively, but I do expect him to be able to go in on a forecheck and ring some bells and wear down the opposing defencemen. I also expect him to go out there and try to stick up for some teammates who are getting pushed around. He needs to put it in the back of the net if he finds himself with the puck all alone in the slot, but the other 95% of the time, I just want him to be haunting their D everytime they go retrieve a puck behind the net, dig a puck out of the corner, or try to pinch in on our 4th line to keep the puck in. He should be playing with Lapierre's attitude and hit everyone who isn't wearing a blue jersey.

And com'on, it's post-game 1, give the guy a freebie in his first playoff game won't you?

Go 'Nucks Go!!!

I think you need to watch a little closer.......Kassian is rarely out of position and his defensive discipline is very good.  Just because he doesn't look smart, doesn't mean he isn't smart.  After he got called for the charging penalty, and then the hit on the late icing call, the next time he came down on the forecheck, he checked over his shoulder at the linesman to make sure it wasn't icing so he could go in an make the hit.........to me that indicates a very high hockey intelligence and the ability to learn from past mistakes.

what does he do to lead you to believe that he isn't hockey smart?

Bodee, why do you think he had a bad game?  I saw a kid who was pumped to play, threw his body around, played disciplined defensive hockey, got in the opposing teams face and was one of the few players on the Nucks who looked like they gave a crap about wining the game.

I would say AV agreed because even after he took the penalty, he was right back out on the ice, which indicates to me that AV thought he was doing what was asked of him.

take your blinders off.

we were a better team with hodgson. kassian brings size, but like wiese, bitz, bernier, pyatt etc, if you dont use it, and you dont score, whats the point????

what happened to our powerplay since the hodgson trade??

what happened to our scoring??

Read the recent columns from Buffalo. The Sabres and their fans ARE totally happy with the trade. The guy the Canucks should have got back for Hodsgon if they really wanted to do the trade was Foligno. The Sabres people like Foligno better than Kassian, he is also a power forward but he also has some smarts and that is something Kassian lacks and you can't teach brains.

For all the people defending the trade saying Kassian will be a star I again say even if that is true the trade should have waited until the offseason because it is not helping the Canucks right now.

Cody did have a real tough start in Buffalo but in their final 8 games or so he was excellent for them.

I understand Cody might have wanted out but the Canucks didn't have to trade him now and if they did they really should have got a guy who has more experience and might have actually helped the Canucks in the Playoffs this year and over the next couple of years.

Archived