Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
714 replies to this topic

#91 PuckDrop

PuckDrop

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Luo got this team 1 win away from a Stanley Cup parade and now his days in this city could be numbered. Who could have envisioned this? I know it's business an all but this is so surreal.

Ohh the humanity.

#92 Cindilette

Cindilette

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

For those who can't read between the lines. This is luongo asking to be traded. He's sick of Vancouver the same way I bet Cody is. And the same way I bet Kassian is becoming sick of it too. Who's going to want out next, from this hockey market joke. MG said it best comparing us to Columbus.

I think you are reading way too much into this. We all know Lu loves this franchise despite the crap the fans and media give him. From the way he is sounding on the radio, he really doesn't want to leave. If he did, he would have requested a trade a long time ago but he put up with it.

I for one don't want to see Lu walk away. I want this team to win the cup with him. I want him to retire as a canuck. Call me crazy and stuff, that's how much confidence I have on Lu.

#93 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

The happiest person in all of this is Cory Schneider's agent!

Cory has so much leverage right now. He can push for a huge deal. I don't know if the Canucks have played this properly. They have given loads of power to both of their goaltenders and have given away most of the control in this situation. If they are going with Schneider it is going to be expensive. If they do trade Luongo he has total control of where he wants to go.

This is a tough situation for the team. It's going to be a long, tough summer for Mike Gillis. Especially if he fires AV next week.

#94 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Thank you. All this blame on the fans is just a very poor argument. As if the fans affect the decisions made by management.

So many Lu supporters are like out for blood or something. Cory fans aren't much better either.

I think it's time for a change both in net and in the coaching staff. Simply because it's time for a change.

Nobody is saying the fans affect decisions made by management. However, it's a completely different story when a goalie is repeatedly reviled, jeered, has the failures of the team heaped on his shoulders by media and fans alike. You think that doesn't have an effect on them? That it wouldn't make them reconsider staying in a city where he gets nothing but crap in the newspapers, on radio, on television and from the fans? You don't think THAT has an effect on whether a guy would consider waiving an NTC???????

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 24 April 2012 - 12:06 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#95 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yup, you could hear in his voice he was upset and it actually looks like he is for sure on the way out....

I will never forget, when we got Lu everyone was happy we finally got a legit number 1 great goalie. Lu was our team for the first 2-3 years, I thought Lu would always be treated as a god, as he once was. But I honestly no doubt, never thought fans would turn on him, like they have done and so quick. I hope Schnieds is ready to handle this.

I will always support Lu and he will always be my favourite goalie. Liked him from day 1 and in his FLA days, hope he gets a cup very soon beause he freakin deserves it!
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#96 Slim Guru 604

Slim Guru 604

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

5 division Championships in 6 years, 2 Presidents Trophies, Game 7 of the Cup finals....... Let's fire the coach, get rid of a great goalie, blow up the team etc etc etc.

This fan base is a fickle *****.

Posted Image Posted Image

#97 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,563 posts

lu is such a professional. took everything from the fans and media in stride, when a lesser guy would have snapped

Posted Image

who was fitted with collar and chain

who was given a pat on the back

who was breaking away from the pack

#98 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

it's terrible. i feel really bad about this situation

I agree, I love both goaltenders (I believe Schneider is a little better of a goalie) but this makes me sick to my stomach. It just feels wrong to be selling the guy up the river after all he has done for this organization but I guess that is the difficult business of the hockey league.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#99 canuckniforlife

canuckniforlife

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

I refuse to believe Luongo is leaving I dont think fans give him credit for how much he has done for the Canucks franchise. Say what you will I've been a fan long enough to appreciate what we have and I will support Luongo even IF he is traded.

From a business stand point it doesnt look good for Luongo....Schneider may be the better choice please Hockey Gods let us have one more chance with both!

#100 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

5 division Championships in 6 years, 2 Presidents Trophies, Game 7 of the Cup finals....... Let's fire the coach, get rid of a great goalie, blow up the team etc etc etc.

This fan base is a fickle *****.

Simple...and all true.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#101 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,214 posts

Ken Holland pointed out this teams' immediate future/problems when interviewed mid-season.

-Cody Hodgson, former CHL player of the year, can not be allowed to become a star as a Canuck.
-The Canucks also have to decide on the future of the Cory Schneider/Roberto Luongo tandem. The Canucks having two all-star calibre goaltenders isn't allowed.

While problem 2 is more surmountable (in theory, because of Lack), problem 1 is disturbing because Hodgson was Gillis' first draft pick as a GM. Hodgson improving so much in junior after being drafted made him a key figure in any plans Gillis had. But the more time passed, the more obvious it became that Hodgson would never be allowed to play as a Canuck, long-term. Gillis knew this, but he refused to trade him until he had some worth. Hopefully Kassian is worth it, long-term. (But likely not, since Hodgson is far more valueable as a center and a potential offensive star, while Kassian is a 2nd line banger, tops.)

Canadian teams have different rules than teams in the US. It's been that way since the dawn of the Gary (desperately trying to expand the US market) Bettman era. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#102 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Going to be an absolute crap show during the off season
Posted Image

#103 miked1101

miked1101

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Yup and Cody didn't want to stay here either.

You think Kassian is getting sick of things?

Raymond? Kesler?

We may not have to blow up the team if the market runs all our players out of town and stops management from doing their jobs. I'm sick of the Vancouver hockey culture. It's the main reason we have trouble winning a cup.

If only we could blow up the market and run all the media out of town and rebuild that.
Posted Image

#104 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

And... before any deal happens they will want to lock up Cory. Imagine if they dealt Luongo only to have Cory simply accept his qualifying offer. If I am not mistaken, that would leave him as UFA at the end of next season.

After seeing the comments people have made here, I would absolutely love for that to happen. These fans really deserve neither.

People say oh no, the fan base is good there is just a small group of these horrible fans when really the fan base is for the most part horrible with a very small group of good followers. And those good people can cheer for the players elsewhere while the majority gets what they deserve, which is nada.

#105 forevernucks19

forevernucks19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Trade Schneider and keep LU...Jeez what does that say about our team when we attempt to demonstrate our commitment to a player through a long term contract and make him our captain, only to strip him of his captaincy and trade him 2 years after. He is an ALL STAR GOALIE who CHANGED this franchise around. :picard:

Thank you!

#106 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,571 posts

I feel bad for Luongo... he's supposed to be the franchise goalie, and after everything he's done for us, he may never become just that.

#107 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

it's terrible. i feel really bad about this situation

Man unreal ...when I pay my hard earned money to see the Canucks play, its to watch Loungo make a big save or the Sedins on the power play.

After everything Loungo has done for our team I cant believe they are hanging him out to dry like this.

I hope everyone's happy. We've basically run the best goaltender we've ever had out of town. Our past captain, and a core member who has put up with everything we've thrown at him. Captain Kirk McLean and King Richard Brodeur are honoured in this city, while Roberto Luongo is treated like the court jester who people have grown tired of when he doesn't blow you away every time.

Good luck in the future Luongo. I'll be supporting you in the rest of your career, proudly wearing the jersey you signed for me.

Yea :(

...Media in Vancouver and the stupid retarded fans can suck it...basically forced Lu to say he'll go it the team wants, and some retard fans can't even support a goalie on a consistent basis. And talking about consistency, its not every game Lu is going to have a shutout....every player has his ups and downs, so there's nothing different when Lu has them.

I wish Lu leaves now cause of this...seems as if he doesn't feel welcomed here anymore, and it was cause of him so many players came here to play along side an elite goalie that gave them a chance that no other person could. He deserves better than the cr@p he gets here for breaking goalie records, staying humble, and being the best goalie in Canucks history, and for the media and dumb@ss fans, I wish you guys are happy if he leaves and Schneid's starts sucking....would come to show you don't run out the best in the world for no reason.

Where ever Lu goes, I'll be with him 100% and I'll just laugh when you guys cry that our goaltending isn't good and FA's aren't signing with us anymore.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#108 forevernucks19

forevernucks19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

problem is if luongo goes, we have no reliable back up

Thank you!!!!!!! someone understand me finally!

#109 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Wow, don't know what to say. I know it's a business, but this feels so weird. ...IF Luongo leaves, can Schneider handle a full season? How ready is Lack? I just can't imagine Lu in another jersey ..

#110 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,164 posts

just heard it on the team

he said he's willing i Gilis asks him.....key point being that Gilis has to ask which gilis has said he will not ask any player to waive the NTC

This is a different situation where a player has openly stated he's open to the idea. Gillis now has that door open to him where he wouldn't have even tried without Luongo bringing it up.

This doesn't mean Luongo is unhappy. He knows the team will have to go in one direction or the other, if not this summer then soon. It sounds to me like he's willing to stay if Cory will get us a good return, but he knows there are other places he'd be happy as well.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#111 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

I honestly think Lu will move and be happy with another team and do well, and we are going to end up a mess.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#112 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

No luongo in Vancouver next year = no chance in hell at a Stanley cup.

Quote me on it.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#113 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

and there you have it...
that's his PC way of saying "I want a trade"
he'll probably end up in Fla or TB

There's no way he is asking for a trade in those quotes you moron. Way to try and twist what he says into something negative.

Pathetic.

It seems like people just crave controversy around here.
Posted Image

#114 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

For the record people THIS DOES NOT MEAN HE IS GETTING TRADED.

However, if he does, it is a business and we'll just have to accept it.

#115 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

He is only one of many victims of this city's high expectations.

#116 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

And anyone want to take bets on how long it takes for people to turn on Schneids if he becomes Goalie #1?? Because it's going to happen, just as it has, it did, with Luo. It boggles my mind how any goalie would ever want to play in Vancouver the way they get treated by a certain segment of the fan base and the media.

From the interviews I've seen with him he also seems to be a very no nonsense kind of guy when it comes to fans jeering players. He was visibly angry about how the crowd treated Lu sometimes, so what makes people think that he is going to put up with this bull for more years if another team offers him a good starting job in a less hostile environment?

#117 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

We had to get rid of one goalie and like I said to my wife "we should approch Luo and ask him what he wants for the future" well he made it easier for us to trade him.I would love him or Schneider, but looks like we gets Schneider the better of the two.This means Lack will be up next year and will give us another great pair!!Hope we get a sniper for the second line and a D man plus a first round pick or more then that,if not whom ever gets Luo gets a steal!
Posted Image

#118 Nucks780

Nucks780

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

I am not the least bit surprised. I would want to leave too if I was treated like Luongo. I'm glad he's leaving because he deserves so much better. I hope he wins the cup one day, but not before us. I've always been a supporter of his and will be very sad when he's gone. He's done more for this team and city than the haters realize. Screw you Luongo haters. I'm very curious to see what we can get for him..
Thanks for the great years Nazzy. Favorite all time

Posted Image

Posted Image

RIP Luc Bourdon (February 16, 1987 – May 29, 2008)
RIP Rick Rypien (May 16, 1984 – August 15, 2011)
RIP Pavol Demitra (November 29, 1974 – September 7, 2011)

#119 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

hummmmmm....better put my sunglasses on for this one B)

shizz it could get interesting!!

#120 forevernucks19

forevernucks19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

Kes sounds sad too :(. His voice makes me cry :(.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.