The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who would you draft with the 5th overall selection?

If we get the 5th overall pick from TO for Lu who would you draft?   

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Burke is in a real jam right now. If the Maple Leafs do not make the playoffs this season ( his 5th season with the organization ) Burke will most likely be fired as the GM. While Burke does posses a lottery pick in this years draft, at number 5 he will most liekly get a player that is not redy to make a huge impact at the NHL next season. That being said Burke has also been known to give up the future to help the team win now. So its very easy to see that Burke giving up the 5th overall pick for either Lu for Nash. These days you need a good goaltender to win so i would say that Burke goes for Lu. Who would you take with that 5th selection?

1) Fillip Forsberg - a very skilled swedish power forward. socuts have said that he has the skill to one day maybe over take Yakupov as the best offensive talent in this years draft. However as of now he would not make the big team right away. the biggest reason is that he still needs to gain 15 - 20 more pounds to fill out his frame. thats not to mention that he has never played North American hockey before. However he is very decorated at the international level representing sweden at many different tournamnets. at the u-17 world tournament he won MVP.

2) Morgan Reilly - without a doubt the most offensively gifted defencemen in this years draft. has the abilty to one day quarterback a teams powerplay. he has drawn up a lot of similarties to erik karlson in style of play. great skater, good vision, good passing abiliy and good shot. on top of everything he is BC boy and has listed his favorite team as the Vancouver Canucks. however i really belive that the Islanders will take him over Reinheart at number 4.

3) Griffin Reinheart - this guys stock has been rising like crazy as of late. such a rocky steady defencemen and so realiable in his own end not to mention he has a huge boom for a shot that could be very useful on a powerplay. this guy is so good that he has the potential to over throw Murray as the best defencmen in this draft one day. he has scout drawing up a lot of comparisons between him and players like Shea Weber and Alex Elder. we absolutly could not go wrong taking this BC boy, who also listed his favorite team as the Vancouver Canucks. at 6'4'' and over 200 pounds this right handed defencmen has both the size and skill to make the NHL next year.

4) Mikhail Grigorenko - at 6'2'' 200 pounds this guy is a huge center with unbelievable talent. so much talent that he could be the best player out of this draft in a few years. this guy has drawn up comparrisons between him, malkin and spezza due to his abilities. however as unbelieavly talented as this guy is he has some major issues regarding his attitude and work ethic. people say hes lazy and uninspired at time but he did play with mono for some time and that could have drained his energy. either way i think this guy is a pretty safe bet. some people will say we dont nee anymore centers but maybe we need to take a look at a guy who can take Henriks spot on the top line a few years down the road and i doubt the canucks will get another lottery pick anytime soon so this may be a good opportunity to find a future number 1 center who can replce Hank on the top spot in 3 or 4 years.

My opinion - if the Canucks do get the 5th pick from TO i think its a choice between Forsberg and Reinheart. Gillis has shown that hes starting to lean towards players who have size and both these guys can be big, powerful players in the future. The Cauncks love to pick swedes but you cant argue with drafting elite hometown talent. Really hard decision but i think you gotta go with Reinheart in this spot, i think hes just too good to pass on. what do you guys think?

Although I worry about players when their value rises quickly as it can drop off just as quickly, I do like the idea of having Reinhart on the team.

At the same time, I would be somewhat surprised if Burke deals the pick though. He may make an offer for Luongo, but I would think he might try to hang onto his pick this time around.

Yakupov :bigblush:

Haha but seriously out of those that you mentioned I would have a really tough time choosing between Forsberg and Grigrenko. Wasn't Grigerenko drawing Malkin like comparisons?

Also we all know what ahppened to the last big European center who dropped in the rankings on draft day.......ZOMG KOPITARZ haha, I couldn't help it sorry. ::D

Griffin Reinhart, no questions asked.

Grew up a Canuck fan, and after Murray is probably the most reliable defender in the draft. He's got great size, and even though he isn't overly physical, he can really throw his body around. He reminds me of Brent Burns almost, but I feel like he could become even better than that.

This thread is almost cruel. Thinking about how much a top-5 pick would help this team....

....in a perfect world Burke makes the trade for Lu. In a perfect world.

We all really need the playoffs to finish and the real offseason to begin. Training camp seems like an eternity away.

I would draft... nobody...

I would dangle that pick as part of a package to get Weber. If Nashville is unable to sign him, then a high pick like that as part of a package that includes signed roster players would be attractive.

After all the crap and second guessing Burke has taken from the Kessel deal where he traded away two 1st round picks do you really believe he's going to deal away a guaranteed top 5 pick for Luongo? I have a tough time accepting that as a possibility

Archived