The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MacTavish Fired/steps down

wtpasc

Gillis had him coaching the Wolves so he had an experienced NHL coach in waiting to replace AV if that was the way things went. Once it was decided that AV was staying, the opportunity MacT saw was gone, so no reason to stay.

He's becoming a Senior VP, it's not like he just took a job as a stick boy...

Certainly he'll be coaching the Oilers again soon if they struggle early. I predict they will, then he'll step in and that will begin a big turnaround that will lead to decent season/playoff run. Seems to happen every year now.

You have to wonder if the perception around the league now is that the Canucks' current window has indeed closed. Cheers.

TOML

Certainly he'll be coaching the Oilers again soon if they struggle early. I predict they will, then he'll step in and that will begin a big turnaround that will lead to decent season/playoff run. Seems to happen every year now.

You have to wonder if the perception around the league now is that the Canucks' current window has indeed closed. Cheers.

TOML

Why?

i don't think they were particularly pleased with how he handled the team, to be honest. they should have done much better (espescially on special teams) than they did. the Midwest division championship this season was more like capturing the SW division in the NHL a couple years ago that it was a particular accomplishment. with the team they had, it should have been a western conference championship.

i don't think they were particularly pleased with how he handled the team, to be honest. they should have done much better (espescially on special teams) than they did. the Midwest division championship this season was more like capturing the SW division in the NHL a couple years ago that it was a particular accomplishment. with the team they had, it should have been a western conference championship.

I think he was merely a backup plan if AV doesnt re-sign or gets fired, but now that he's signed a long term contract, theres no reason to keep an NHL calibre coach in the minors.

I would send Arniel back there, and get Hanlon from the VG as his assistant.

and so ends the MacTavish experiment. I wasn't really a fan of how he handled the farm team this season, and I guess neither was gillis (despite what he says in this article). I just don't see it being MacTavish's decision on this one, more like a "save face and step down" sort of thing.

Archived