The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

Hearing news about Luongo to FLA deal...could be done sometime this week..names being discuss: Bjugstad or kulikov, versteeg, theodore, a late pick for luongo, tanev, schroeder, 1st rd pick, jensen.

FLA gm is insisting on adding jensen if canucks want bjugstad. Gillis trying to get a deal without jensen involved and also trying to get the 1st rd pick to a 3rd...will investigate more.

HELLSSS NO!

-Jensen is gonna be a dominant power forward and our best prospect.

-If Florida wants our 1st round pick throw in Gudbranson or no deal

The only way to keep winning in hockey long term is through drafting and we cannot afford to keep trading away high draft picks.

***Counter offer

to Florida:

Luongo

Schroeder

Tanev

1st round pick

to Vancouver:

Gudbranson

Bjustad

Theodore

Versteeg

-Schroeder although 5'9 is built like a tank and has a higher upside then Kris Versteeg and a better skater.

-Florida is easily getting the best player in the deal (Luongo) and a top 5 goalie in the league.

- They get our 1st round and a young dman in Tanev who has 2 years of nhl experience under his belt for Gudbranson

- Theodore is a toss in

-Luongo's value covers the rest

Not sure about Botchfords history of 'insider info', but here his post:

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford

Wowsa. From my standpoint that's quite a bit, lol. I understand the roster player and great prospect, but the 1st rounder IMO is negotiable. Does anyone know if next years draft is supposed to be any good?

I can't shake the feeling that Lu ends up in Florida and that Bjugstad is part of the package. Every Gillis/Gillman interview talks about needing depth @ centre, Florida has a lot. Fingers crossed. Gillis bring us Bjugstad, all 6'6 of him.

I like the way our team looks now with the semi revamp of our defense. Now that our major signing is out of the way(unless we get Doan).

We can easily just go into the season with both Louie and Schneids.

I'm all for it because I love having an elite goaltender in the net for every single game.

Gillis is definitely in the driver seat, we are better for not trading Lou. So eventually a team is going to break and pay out the ass to get him.

Gillis is like an hired sniper, patiently waiting for the right moment to strike.

Wowsa. From my standpoint that's quite a bit, lol. I understand the roster player and great prospect, but the 1st rounder IMO is negotiable. Does anyone know if next years draft is supposed to be any good?

I can't shake the feeling that Lu ends up in Florida and that Bjugstad is part of the package. Every Gillis/Gillman interview talks about needing depth @ centre, Florida has a lot. Fingers crossed. Gillis bring us Bjugstad, all 6'6 of him.

HELLSSS NO!

-Jensen is gonna be a dominant power forward and our best prospect.

-If Florida wants our 1st round pick throw in Gudbranson or no deal

The only way to keep winning in hockey long term is through drafting and we cannot afford to keep trading away high draft picks.

***Counter offer

to Florida:

Luongo

Schroeder

Tanev

1st round pick

to Vancouver:

Gudbranson

Bjustad

Theodore

Versteeg

-Schroeder although 5'9 is built like a tank and has a higher upside then Kris Versteeg and a better skater.

-Florida is easily getting the best player in the deal (Luongo) and a top 5 goalie in the league.

- They get our 1st round and a young dman in Tanev who has 2 years of nhl experience under his belt for Gudbranson

- Theodore is a toss in

-Luongo's value covers the rest

All of these UFA signings are just making Luongo's contract show how decent it really is overall. We are talking about Suter and Parise getting 8.5 million per year and 12 years. Sidney Crosby money. It's insane.

Can you imagine what GM's would be offering Luongo if he was to hit the market as a free agent yesterday. Guarantee the same teams trying to trade for him would be offering him 10 year deals at minimum 70 million.

The fact that you have an elite goalie that can be a gamebreaker for 10 years locked up at 5.33 is unheard of nowadays. I really would love if the Canucks kept Luongo and used Schneider to get a great forward. Look at the contracts of goalies like Price, Quick, Rinne, etc. If you want a gamebreaker you need to pay the big bucks and give long term too or you miss out.

The point is that I really dont look at Luongo's contract as a disadvantage or weakness in trading. I think Gillis is brilliant for waiting until after free agency so that he can make his point stronger and I commend him for not being in any rush to deal. If he doesnt find the deal he wants I would suggest taking Luongo off the market at start of the season and wait until trade deadline to put him back on as he can jack the price up again.

I don't really take anything from Botchford seriously - but if Gillis' starting point was Gardiner, roster player, pick, that is an apppropriate response to the line out of Toronto - ie. Luongo for a cap dump like Komisarek - laughable - or the idea that Gardiner is an untouchable. If Toronto want to pretend that Luongo isn't worth a first rate prospect, let alone two or three decent assets, then they aren't serious about acquiring him.... and will regret that next February, March, April...

I think after reading posts here that we should quit drafting players. And definitely give up on everyone we lately drafted in the first round. Next summer all trades will include Jensen + Ballard + 1st. and in 2014 it will all be about trading Gaunce.

(if possible, try to trade the to Florida for their 1st round picks from the previous couple of drafts, cuz they don't understand the value of great prospects)

I hope the reason Gillis isn't signing anyone isn't because he's being held up by not being able to trade Luongo.

We're allowed to go over the cap by 7 million, but that would kind of hurt his bargaining position even more.

With a Luongo trade we have around 8 million, which would give us enough for another top 6 defenceman and a top 6 forward.

So I'm getting the sense Botch isn't reliable, lol.

Ya, if Toronto doesn't get a good goaltender (Lu or someone else), they're destined for more of the same. Another year hovering around giving up most goals against, for the 6th straight year. Cause I'm slightly evil, I'd like to see the look on Burkes face when Lu's traded to Florida :)

I hope the reason Gillis isn't signing anyone isn't because he's being held up by not being able to trade Luongo.

We're allowed to go over the cap by 7 million, but that would kind of hurt his bargaining position even more.

With a Luongo trade we have around 8 million, which would give us enough for another top 6 defenceman and a top 6 forward.

You know how homophobes are always secretlly gay right? So who are the worlds biggest Luongo-phobes? yes Chicago fan's!

This thought just came to me now, but visually several month's ago I asked myself which uniform did I see Luongo wearing in the future, and I saw him in the Blackhawks uniform, and this was way before radio mentioned him as an impossible suitor.

I'm no betting man, but everyone knocked me 2 seasons ago for seeing Schneider as our number 1 so go ahead and knock Luongo as a Hawk!

Archived