Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Schultz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#1 SpursCanuck

SpursCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

I keep seeing everyone banging on about Justin Schultz, I am over in Scotland and would like to know a little more on him, could someone point me in the right direction and tell me a little more about him and why he is so highly rated here and why he was never drafted...

I know he is a DF
Comes from BC
Is a Free Agent

That's about what I know, fire away peeps and thanks
Posted Image

#2 Gäz

Gäz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

He was drafted in 2008 by Anaheim, so there's something you didn't know. :lol:

totally agree although i wouldnt have minded jvr in a 3 way.

Context, people, context.

#3 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

This website here has some advanced stats and a LOT of information regarding shultz!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Justin+Schultz

Edited by clidefrog, 25 June 2012 - 10:32 PM.

Posted Image

#4 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,144 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

He was drafted, in the 2nd round by the Ducks in 2008.

But due to something in the CBA, he is about to become a very young UFA. I think it might be the same 80 game rule that the Canucks were facing with Gragnani last year (even though they let him walk anyways).

Basically, Schultz is being described as the best defenseman not currently in the NHL. However, didn't we here the same sort of label for Brunnstrom and Gustavsson (sp?) a short while ago...
Posted Image

#5 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

Ok. I see all these Shultz threads.

How good is this guy supposed to be?

Projected #1 D Man, #2 Dman, top 4 or bottom pairing? Also is he a point scorer or a shot blocker?

Edited by Henrik Sedin, 25 June 2012 - 10:29 PM.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#6 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

I keep seeing everyone banging on about Justin Schultz, I am over in Scotland and would like to know a little more on him, could someone point me in the right direction and tell me a little more about him and why he is so highly rated here and why he was never drafted...

I know he is a DF
Comes from BC
Is a Free Agent

That's about what I know, fire away peeps and thanks

Practically nobody here has seen him play for any real period of time, so take everything with a grain of salt. He's from the Okanagan, his family are all Canucks fans, let the rumours fly!!!
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#7 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

Projected #1 D Man, #2 Dman, top 4 or bottom pairing? Also is he a point scorer or a shot blocker?

He'll put up 99 points his first year good,

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#8 Canuckaidian

Canuckaidian

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

http://www.hockeysfu...justin_schultz/

There's a link and he's supposed to be a top 4 ready defence man who you can sign without losing any players or picks and on top of that he's still young. Schultz is limited to a two-year, entry-level contract at $925,000 US annually so it's a pretty good deal to coming your way in return if he signs with you.

Edited by Canuckaidian, 25 June 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#9 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,211 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

He was drafted, in the 2nd round by the Ducks in 2008.

But due to something in the CBA, he is about to become a very young UFA. I think it might be the same 80 game rule that the Canucks were facing with Gragnani last year (even though they let him walk anyways).

Basically, Schultz is being described as the best defenseman not currently in the NHL. However, didn't we here the same sort of label for Brunnstrom and Gustavsson (sp?) a short while ago...

During the last week of May, 2012, Schultz officially "de-registered" from the University of Wisconsin triggering a process that will likely make him an unrestricted free agent (UFA).

According to league rules, from the time Anaheim was given notice of the de-registration from school, the Ducks have a 30-day exclusive window to try to sign him or trade him. If Anaheim does not sign or trade Schultz, he will be eligible to sign an Entry Level Contract with any of the NHL's other 29 teams on July 1, 2012.

According to Wikipedia

-------------------------------------------------------------

Judging by the clamour to court the former Anaheim second-round 2008 draft pick — he became a UFA on Monday thanks to a loophole in the expiring NHL collective bargaining agreement that cites his extra year of BCHL play before jumping to the NCAA and then snubbing the Ducks at the June 1 signing deadline — there’s widespread belief that at age 21, the West Kelowna product has a level of maturity to excel at the pro game. And with Schultz limited to a two-year, entry-level contract at $925,000 US annually, suitors are salivating.

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1ysJSDPsS

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 25 June 2012 - 10:39 PM.

fzbyi9.jpg

#10 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,864 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

This website here has some advanced stats and a LOT of information regarding shultz!

Beat me too it. That one is a favourite 'source' of mine as well.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#11 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,490 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

He's compared to Drew Doughty.

And in terms of offensive ability I can see why, he rushes the ice just they way Doughty does, he also has a very good accurate wrist shot and can control the the power play from the blue line, a really dynamic offensive player.

He also won best defensive player in the WCHA in both 2010-11 and 2011-12, so his defensive game is improving aswell.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 25 June 2012 - 10:52 PM.

zackass.png

#12 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

Remember back in 2004 when that was still funny?
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#13 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

What is this? Luongo is supposed to have all the threads not Schultz...

SYvE9NH.gif

#14 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,864 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

It gets boring if we can't diversify a little. We hardly needed another Schultz thread though.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#15 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,942 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

If Schultz picks us over TO and Lu refuses to go to TO, i'm going to be one freakin' happy camper. I'll even stop signing off all my posts. :lol:

TOML
Posted Image

#16 Teksys

Teksys

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

According to @SamJam99 @AndreOullet_UH and @BroadStBull Schultz is coming here. Not sure how reliable these sources are but i'm gettin excited about July. 1st.

#17 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:29 PM

According to @SamJam99 @AndreOullet_UH and @BroadStBull Schultz is coming here. Not sure how reliable these sources are but i'm gettin excited about July. 1st.

I bet you know how unreliable these sources are.

#18 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

If Schultz picks us over TO and Lu refuses to go to TO, i'm going to be one freakin' happy camper. I'll even stop signing off all my posts. :lol:

TOML

Oh god. I hope we get Shultz now, I'll be a happy camper

HS

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#19 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

I always say, you stick Schultz with Edler and it's like Ehrhoff never left.

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#20 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

Projected to be a top 4 DMan, with a huge offensive upside.
Has an absolutely wicked wrist shot, and put up 91 points in 78 games in his final 2 years of University, winning Defenceman of the Year in both seasons.
Have little doubt he could step right onto our line-up and put up 30+ points. However to get used to a NHL length schedule, I'd put him with the Wolves for a year where he would likely be one of the top DMen in the league,

Jagermeister.jpg

#21 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

HS

+1

G2S

#22 Aloha_Vancouver

Aloha_Vancouver

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:14 AM

Has an absolutely wicked wrist shot, and put up 91 points in 78 games in his final 2 years of University, winning Defenceman of the Year in both seasons.
Have little doubt he could step right onto our line-up and put up 30+ points. However to get used to a NHL length schedule, I'd put him with the Wolves for a year where he would likely be one of the top DMen in the league,

If he even saw this post suggesting he would be in the AHL we'd have no chance of signing him. Be careful what you say, I'm sure he watches every message board in the NHL
Posted Image

#23 TRR

TRR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:27 AM

I imagine whoever he decides to sign with will have to promise him a roster-spot.
Posted Image

#24 CaNuCk_in_NzL

CaNuCk_in_NzL

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

TOML

HS

+1

G2S

Omg TOML, now look what you started! Everyone is starting to sign their posts! :sick: Sigh...

CINZL

Edited by CaNuCk_in_NzL, 26 June 2012 - 03:26 AM.

Posted Image

#25 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,982 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:31 AM

Omg TOML, now look what you started! Everyone is starting to sign their posts! :sick: Sigh...

CINZL

Yup...its basically a chain reaction

SSM

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#26 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

Theres a lotta good things about him not a defensive liability, can carry puck puck through neutral zone with great speed can set up in offensive zone but best number 1 thing id say about him is hes Powerplay QB. Exactly what Canucks are lacking, he's the Ehrhoff we traded away, but younger and with a higher ceiling.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#27 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

Something else that nobody is mentioning, he was the Captain of the Westside Warriors :D

Edited by ahf149, 26 June 2012 - 05:19 AM.

Life is short, LIVE IT

#28 krazysl

krazysl

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

Schultz is a prospect, a very high skilled prospect. He is a Offensive D man, and has been making it look easy, he averges more then a point per game. He has and can throw big hits. He is a pp QB, and can skate trough the oppisition knda like Orr. He is a prospect though, but at age 21 shows alot of promise. Its pretty much like getting a number one draft pick, he could turn out like alexender daige, but looks more poised to be in the elite 1st rounders.

#29 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

I've seen him play numerous times in the BCHL before he got drafted.

He was definitely the best defence on the ice most nights.

There's more hype than what he's actually worth though.

Most of it because he's so young and a UFA. Canuck fans are especially crazy about him because he's from BC though.

#30 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Shhh don't remind them of making Luongo threads today.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.