Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Should Bure's #10 be retired/be in the Ring of Honour?

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

Poll: #10 Retired or Ring of Honour? (293 member(s) have cast votes)

#10 Retired or Ring of Honour?

1. #10 Retired (169 votes [57.68%])

Percentage of vote: 57.68%

2. Ring of Honour (106 votes [36.18%])

Percentage of vote: 36.18%

3. Neither (18 votes [6.14%])

Percentage of vote: 6.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Pavel becomes the one ,true HHoF Canuck.

Never to be recognised or honored cuz the past suits liked to peddle franchises over recognition of true talent.

Fitting.

I hope Gillis changes that for the fans and to honor Pavel's talent that was on display here all those years ago.

#152 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

POPULAR

Smyl, Linden, Naslund

these are the only 3 players that have had their jerseys retired by the Canucks in the teams 41 year history. None of them ever sat out half a season waiting for their trade demands to be met.

Retiring Jerseys, like the naming of captains is not all about skill. Stan Smyl was not even a point per game player, and yet, he has received all the honors any Canuck could be bestowed by the organization. Why? Because he played his whole 13 year career here, including (if my memory serves me) 8 as captain. No. He never had a 60, a 50, or even a 40 goal season, but he played every shift like it was the last time he would ever be on the ice.

Trevor Linden spent 16 of his 21 years in a Canucks sweater, and were it his choice it would've been 21/21. He is the youngest Canucks ever to be named team captain, and like Smyl put 100% effort out every time he was on the ice. He also like Smyl, still lives in Vancouver and is very involved with the organization, and community.

Markus Naslund spent 11 of 15 NHL seasons with the Canucks, once again, like Smyl and Linden he put his all in every night, and was a donor to many charities during his time in Vancouver. Naslund is currently the franchise leader in goals, and points.

And now, Pavel Bure. who spent only 7 of 13 years in the NHL with the Canucks. And left a sour taste in the mouths of Canucks fans, by sitting out a series of games while waiting for a trade demand to be be met. In my opinion that kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable. Pavel Bure is also not involved with our organization, or community at all anymore, unless he's done things I don't know about. Yes he's probably the most prolific goal scorer to ever play for the Canucks, but compare him to the three players that have their jerseys retired already. His charter does not even compare to theirs.

This is just my opinion. I remember how devastated, and sick I was when he left on such bad terms after what our team had done for him, and I don't think he deserves to have his jersey retired. I know there's going to be people that disagree with me, but I think we should put him in the Ring of Honor, Because his skill level can't be ignored, But the retiring of a Jersey number should be reserved for The Smyls, Lindens, and Naslunds of the franchise.

In 10-15 years I wanna see Jerseys like the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows retired, those are the kind of players that deserve it.

Just my long opinion
JGM
Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

#153 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,797 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Good post. 5/5.

Also, you don't ask to have your number retired... (Bure)

I also feel we mistreated Linden with the Messier fiasco. I am surprised he actually ended up back here after the way we handled him.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#154 Sick Hands

Sick Hands

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

POPULAR

Bure was an extremely talented douche, but he was OUR douche.

RETIRE THE JERSEY

A Toast to Aquillini for getting Torterella.

An owner who knows what the people want.

That's entertainment.

#155 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Smyl, Linden, Naslund

these are the only 3 players that have had their jerseys retired by the Canucks in the teams 41 year history. None of them ever sat out half a season waiting for their trade demands to be met.

Retiring Jerseys, like the naming of captains is not all about skill. Stan Smyl was not even a point per game player, and yet, he has received all the honors any Canuck could be bestowed by the organization. Why? Because he played his whole 13 year career here, including (if my memory serves me) 8 as captain. No. He never had a 60, a 50, or even a 40 goal season, but he played every shift like it was the last time he would ever be on the ice.

Trevor Linden spent 16 of his 21 years in a Canucks sweater, and were it his choice it would've been 21/21. He is the youngest Canucks ever to be named team captain, and like Smyl put 100% effort out every time he was on the ice. He also like Smyl, still lives in Vancouver and is very involved with the organization, and community.

Markus Naslund spent 11 of 15 NHL seasons with the Canucks, once again, like Smyl and Linden he put his all in every night, and was a donor to many charities during his time in Vancouver. Naslund is currently the franchise leader in goals, and points.

And now, Pavel Bure. who spent only 7 of 13 years in the NHL with the Canucks. And left a sour taste in the mouths of Canucks fans, by sitting out a series of games while waiting for a trade demand to be be met. In my opinion that kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable. Pavel Bure is also not involved with our organization, or community at all anymore, unless he's done things I don't know about. Yes he's probably the most prolific goal scorer to ever play for the Canucks, but compare him to the three players that have their jerseys retired already. His charter does not even compare to theirs.

This is just my opinion. I remember how devastated, and sick I was when he left on such bad terms after what our team had done for him, and I don't think he deserves to have his jersey retired. I know there's going to be people that disagree with me, but I think we should put him in the Ring of Honor, Because his skill level can't be ignored, But the retiring of a Jersey number should be reserved for The Smyls, Lindens, and Naslunds of the franchise.

In 10-15 years I wanna see Jerseys like the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows retired, those are the kind of players that deserve it.

Just my long opinion
JGM

You need to educate yourself on what ACTUALLY went on between Bure and the Canucks Organization. :picard:

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#156 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

And you had to create a new thread why? Did you not see the other 10 Bure threads?

Another case of, an OP thinking he has something so epic to say, he must start a new thread.

Sorry pal, you failed :)

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#157 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

And you had to create a new thread why? Did you not see the other 10 Bure threads?

Another case of, an OP thinking he has something so epic to say, he must start a new thread.

Sorry pal, you failed :)

Obviously didn't read the pinned notice regarding redundant threads, either.....

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 28 June 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#158 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

You need to educate yourself on what ACTUALLY went on between Bure and the Canucks Organization. :picard:

Ok, what happened, there was a contract dispute, and he abruptly decides to stop playing and demands a trade? thats what I know.
Posted Image

#159 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

Ok, what happened, there was a contract dispute, and he abruptly decides to stop playing and demands a trade? thats what I know.

Then do a little more research.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 28 June 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#160 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

Lol Kesler wont have his number retired here...Burrows maybe...

#161 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

Obviously didn't read the pinned notice regarding redundant threads, either.....

You are still a moderator right? Can this thread be locked? People just are not getting it!

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#162 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72,513 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Other clubs have retired numbers based solely on skill. For example, Terry Sawchuk mood was often dark, depressed. I think he also once threw a skate at one unlucky reporter. Still, he remains one of the best goalies all-time, and his number sits up in the rafters at Joe Louis Arena.

307mg00.jpg

#163 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,576 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Naslunds banner being up there makes this a no brainer, unless of course these things are about management and business, not the storied franchise...l

#164 crosbyheadshot

crosbyheadshot

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

I remember hearing The Canucks tried to pay him in Canadian dollars when our dollar was worth like 60cents US. They just slipped it into the contract without telling him

#165 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

I guess Patrick Roy shouldn't have been retired either!!

He was the only true really big high profile superstar of the Organization

He sparked a mania!!

Even growing up in Saskatchewan I and all of my friends would fight over who was Bure when we played shinny!

Do you know who was running the team when he asked for a trade?

Hell I'd probably to the same thing, plus I woulda had assault charges to deal with!

Come on home Pavel!!

We forgive you!!

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#166 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

I remember hearing The Canucks tried to pay him in Canadian dollars when our dollar was worth like 60cents US. They just slipped it into the contract without telling him

if that happened I would be pissed at the owners and gm

#167 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

I heard he woke up at a party and Messier was trying to give him a knobber. I'm not even joking.

All of the rumors aside (that's what they are), I say retire the guys number.

#168 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,797 posts

Lol Kesler wont have his number retired here...Burrows maybe...

Nope. There are only 2 Canucks on this team that at this moment look to have their numbers retired for sure.

Sedin and Sedin.

No one else is close to having their number retired. Thats a huge honour taking a number out of circulation.

IMO Canucks that have a slim chance is Edler, Bieksa and Schneider because they have been with the organization for a long long time. (Not saying there numbers will be retired)

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#169 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

He sparked a mania!!

Even growing up in Saskatchewan I and all of my friends would fight over who was Bure when we played shinny!

Hell I'd probably to the same thing, plus I woulda had assault charges to deal with!

Come on home Pavel!!

We forgive you!!

Thats the best argument for your side
Posted Image

#170 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

He sparked a mania!!

Come on home Pavel!!

We forgive you!!

But does he forgive us?

#171 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

I gotta agree with the OP. A jersey should only be retired by a team if the player was an integral part of the team both on and off the ice. The jerseys that hang in Rogers Arena belong to Canucks that we're exactly that. All three we're leaders for this team on the ice and in the community. While they may not have been as skilled as Bure they had a bigger impact on this organization as a whole then Bure would have done even if he never left.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#172 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

Agreed, get off of Bure's dick already people...
Posted Image

#173 Two Blind Mice

Two Blind Mice

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

Pavel Bure was easily the best player ever to wear a Canucks uniform. I saw him play many times. Every time he touched the puck the entire crowd stood up in anticipation of a possible scoring chance...even when he had just begun skating from his own end. Pat Quinn nailed it when he described him as "electrifying". OP is suggesting Kesler and Burrows deserve their sweaters retired over Bure?? Give your head a shake. Bure is one of the greatest players ever to play the game, in any era. There have been many players over the years comparable to both Kesler and Burrows.

Yes, Bure had a falling out with organization in the end. That doesn't mean he disliked the city or the fans. His problem was with management, who treated him poorly. The reason the Canucks have put so much emphasis in the past on community involvement when retiring sweaters is because they haven't had any true superstars to honour. Bure was the first true star we ever had. The Sedins may be the next ones but they will never bring fans out of their seats the way Bure did on a regular basis.

When it comes to retiring sweaters, achievements on the ice should trump everything else. The guy scored 60 goals twice!

I remember the first time I saw Bure interviewed, before he had yet played a game for us. They asked him something like what was so special about him. What did the fans have to look forward to? He said, "I'm fastest skater in world".

#174 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

I gotta agree with the OP. A jersey should only be retired by a team if the player was an integral part of the team both on and off the ice. The jerseys that hang in Rogers Arena belong to Canucks that we're exactly that. All three we're leaders for this team on the ice and in the community. While they may not have been as skilled as Bure they had a bigger impact on this organization as a whole then Bure would have done even if he never left.

I am sorry but you have either never seen him play, or you did, but you got hit in the head and you don't remember.

When that crazy mother crabbed ahold of that puck you stood up and got ready to cheer, he controlled the game and he was clutch.

He gave 100% and led by example

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#175 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

You must be the best and most exciting hockey player the organization has ever seen, single handedly ignite an entire franchise AND be a social worker to have your number retired.

#176 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

Burrows nor Kesler will likely ever see their jerseys go up. 33/22 no doubt though. +1.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#177 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

Burrows nor Kesler will likely ever see their jerseys go up. 33/22 no doubt though. +1.

lol, I know, I know...
Posted Image

#178 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

There is a good chance that if Bure never came to Vancouver the franchise would not have survived the 90's and would no longer exhist.

That is all. End of debate.

BEST PLAYER to ever wear a canucks uniform.

To the rafters.

Edited by MLT, 28 June 2012 - 09:49 AM.

Posted Image

#179 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

To sum up....he was never happy with the money he was making.
Posted Image

#180 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

Other clubs have retired numbers based solely on skill. For example, Terry Sawchuk mood was often dark, depressed. I think he also once threw a skate at one unlucky reporter. Still, he remains one of the best goalies all-time, and his number sits up in the rafters at Joe Louis Arena.

He also played 14 seasons with the Red Wings. His NHL record for wins and shutouts stood for decades.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.