The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When did Luongo pass his prime?

89mogilny

Had career numbers in playoff only 2 seasons ago. He has plenty of gm left. His biggest problem is focus and handling the pressure, both key components for any goalie. Making silly comments like after gm 5 in scf added pressure to himself, resulting in the defeats. He needs to mature in that sense. Technically went through some changes last few yrs but still gets the job done.

if nux cant get a superstar in return, mg better keep him. u never know if Cory will get a muscle spasm in the next playoff gm. he has plenty of potential, but has won nothing.

He has not reached that point yet. Sadly it appears he will be moved but who knows. He could very well be a top netminder for several more years. He has outstanding conditioning and has proven to be a workhorse throughout his career. Id expect him to have a great year next season if not in Vancouver.

My question to the board is that exact question of the thread? This is not a luongo bashing thread at all, all athletes pass their prime at one point or another, Luongo was the king in vancouver the first three regular seasons in Vancouver. The first two years, the canucks were an absolute joke when he was here, the only reason why the canucks made the play offs that year was because of Luongo and they won the division and Luo gift wrapped a Jack Adams trophy to AV. That was Luongo's best play offs ever as a Canuck, the game 5 against the ducks, ive never seen a goaltending peformance in a single game like that since i started watching hockey and if it weren't for the scott niedermeyer goal/jannik hansen/referee play, win or lose Luongo would have had ppl talking for years...the canucks missed the play offs the following year after a late season colapse, wasnt luongos fault more of dave nonis fault and now he's serving coffee for brian burke on a daily basis. Anyways, the following year thats when the canucks became a contender and were stacked on all three postions. Luo had an amazing year and was the main reason why the canucks were the team to beat but with three minutes left in game 4 against Chicago up 1-0 with the chance of taking a strangle hold of the series Luongo let in a weak Havlat shot from the top of the circle and the rest is history. Ever since that game and the games after, Luongo has been labeled the weak link on the canucks and that was a far cry what he did for us the first three seasons and first three play off rounds of his career. AFter that his regular season play hasn't matched up to what he did when he first arrived in vancouer, his play off performances have been on and off, he plays great in games and then he stinks up the bed the next two games. Anyways i wish him all the luck in the world and the one thing i hope he changes is his accountabilty.

The day after he was handed the C, ever since Luongo was Captain everything went wrong. Unfortunately Luongo being Captain was probably the biggest mistake for him, it changed him in ways that were negative instead of positive, in my opinion he hasn't been the same goalie since he was given the C.

Listen, I do not think that he has passed his prime.

Some good goalies are best suited to play on non-contending teams and the low expectastions which that job brings.

Lu is one of these goaltenders. He is best when the expectations are low. Or if the high expectations only last a short time (ref: olympic gold)

These types of player generally want to win sooooo badly that it messes with the head and they end up crumbling during a long cup run.

Either this or ..he passed his prime in Game 7 of the final.

Luo is still in his prime, one of the best in the league, that being said, I feel like he started to decline in Vancouver during last years cup run, the series against chicago took its toll on him and his poor performance in game 7 against the bruins I'm sure wore down on him. You can't blame a goalie when the team doesnt score but he just seemed to deflate during that game and this season although he tried his best to shake it off , he carried that negative energy with him, I love him myself and I know alot of true canucks fans weither they will admit it or not have alot of respect for him, he just needs a change of scenery, Very remenisint of Roy in MTL although I do think Luo will wear the blue and green again one day.

My question to the board is that exact question of the thread? This is not a luongo bashing thread at all, all athletes pass their prime at one point or another, Luongo was the king in vancouver the first three regular seasons in Vancouver. The first two years, the canucks were an absolute joke when he was here, the only reason why the canucks made the play offs that year was because of Luongo and they won the division and Luo gift wrapped a Jack Adams trophy to AV. That was Luongo's best play offs ever as a Canuck, the game 5 against the ducks, ive never seen a goaltending peformance in a single game like that since i started watching hockey and if it weren't for the scott niedermeyer goal/jannik hansen/referee play, win or lose Luongo would have had ppl talking for years...the canucks missed the play offs the following year after a late season colapse, wasnt luongos fault more of dave nonis fault and now he's serving coffee for brian burke on a daily basis. Anyways, the following year thats when the canucks became a contender and were stacked on all three postions. Luo had an amazing year and was the main reason why the canucks were the team to beat but with three minutes left in game 4 against Chicago up 1-0 with the chance of taking a strangle hold of the series Luongo let in a weak Havlat shot from the top of the circle and the rest is history. Ever since that game and the games after, Luongo has been labeled the weak link on the canucks and that was a far cry what he did for us the first three seasons and first three play off rounds of his career. AFter that his regular season play hasn't matched up to what he did when he first arrived in vancouer, his play off performances have been on and off, he plays great in games and then he stinks up the bed the next two games. Anyways i wish him all the luck in the world and the one thing i hope he changes is his accountabilty.

I don't even think he's past his prime yet. If you look at his stats he always gets around the same every single year, and last season was no exception. In fact he had better numbers last season than he did in some previous years like 2008, back when we would have never called him past his prime.

Archived