The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

It's hilarious how everyone in this thread throws the kid under the bus just because he didn't sign with us. Just reading the first page, apparently Schultz is now a diva and a future bust for having the audacity to not sign with the Canucks. I really hate this place sometimes. So many babies.

It's hilarious how everyone in this thread throws the kid under the bus just because he didn't sign with us. Just reading the first page, apparently Schultz is now a diva and a future bust for having the audacity to not sign with the Canucks. I really hate this place sometimes. So many babies.

don't start grouping everyone together with statements like these the amount of people commenting on this thread does not represent the entire forum so just stop ok

Schultz reminds me of Hodgson now. A whiney little unproven guy who hasn't proved anything wanting ice time in the NHL. Frack this. Go play all you want in EDM and come in last.

Oh, and welcome to the team Jason Garrison :)

Right....

Yep. That's CDC for you. Little kids who didn't get what they want so they start crying.

This was the first thing that came to mind when I heard that Schultz was going to the Oilers. I'm not going to blame AV for this at all...but maybe his reputation precedes him...even if it's not totally fair.

Remember...perception is reality.

There is some truth to this comment about perception.

Schultz going to Edmonton strengthens the perception of some other people who say that he is uncertain of his talent in that he feels he couldn't keep up at the NHL level, or that he perhaps feels he is better than the team and the coaches and therefore he'll have an easier time ruling the roost with an easier taskmaster than AV.

I don't hold these views (or any other attacks which have been directed to Schultz), but I can see why some people hold them.

regards,

G.

Well, you have to slot in anyone on those spots... For an example, if your defence is weak, and you have no better option than Aaron Rome, you slot him in on a top4 role, that doesn't really mean Rome automatically becomes a top4 d-man. That says more about the team than Aaron Rome.

The Oilers best pairing last season was Smid-Petry. I'd say they'd be an average 2nd pairing on a playoff team. Whitney had a horrible season last year. He was a top pairing defenceman before surgery. Since he's a UFA at the end of the coming season, I expect him to have a rebound season, probably not top pairing but a decent 2nd pairing defenceman. N.Schultz is a stay at home defenceman. Nothing flashy but dependable. He'd probably be an ok 4th or a good 5th defenceman on a playoff team. I put J.Schultz as a top 4 defenceman, it might be premature but we will see.

IMO, Oilers need to add one more top 4 defenceman to have a shot at the playoffs.

Who's to say they will?

Just because you get 1st overall picks doesn't mean you'll be a good team. The players still have to gel, and teams need great role players to win.

You can get great players late in the first round too. Just look at Perry and Kesler.

They have had 3 first overall picks, the jury is still out on Yakupov, but Hall and RNH look like stars in the making, and they have also added late round picks and some really good second round picks.

I'm a believer in late round picks aswell like yourself but Hall + RNH > Jensen + Gaunce, there's no debate, and we don't have anyone to match up with Yakupov.

Thank God that's done. Getting rather annoyed hearing this guy's name spouted so often, the guy seems like a diva.

How is he a diva? It's the media that turned this into a circus, not Justin Schultz. Schultz just did what any UFA sought after by the entire league would do. He decided which teams he was interested in, let them pitch to him, and then chose, all within the span of about a week. What's wrong with that? He didn't ask TSN to camp outside his agent's building and provide 24/7 updates. You wouldn't be calling him a diva if he signed with the Canucks.

Fabian Brunnstrom anyone?

Except Fabian Brunnstrom had no pedigree. He was just an undrafted guy who started playing really well in the SEL. At 18 Schultz already had the pedigree of an early 2nd round draft pick (many actually thought he could go in the 1st round), and since then he has just gotten bigger and better in every way. He's gonna be a top 4 d-man in this league for years to come.

Do you know what a top 4 defenceman is?

It's a defenceman who plays either 1st of 2nd pairing, usually getting 20+ minutes a night that can take a regular shift even strength and play on at least one of the special teams.

your an idiot - in terms of skill the oilers don't have 5 top 4 d-men... if any of their defence were traded to vancouver they would NOT play top 4 minutes... thanks for trolling douchebag

There is some truth to this comment about perception.

Schultz going to Edmonton strengthens the perception of some other people who say that he is uncertain of his talent in that he feels he couldn't keep up at the NHL level, or that he perhaps feels he is better than the team and the coaches and therefore he'll have an easier time ruling the roost with an easier taskmaster than AV.

I don't hold these views (or any other attacks which have been directed to Schultz), but I can see why some people hold them.

regards,

G.

Then one could also argue his agents are irresponsible - and not because he didn't sign in Van. What's Kruger done to impress agents and players? Isn't it more risky to go with a relative unproven coach han one that people know and regard as tough but straight up? If Coaching was a big decision - I'd have gone to Ottawa or New York (if Van wasn't included).

They have had 3 first overall picks, the jury is still out on Yakupov, but Hall and RNH look like stars in the making, and they have also added late round picks and some really good second round picks.

I'm a believer in late round picks aswell like yourself but Hall + RNH > Jensen + Gaunce, there's no debate, and we don't have anyone to match up with Yakupov.

But they also come with a much higher price tag, especially in 2 years (maybe that's why Shultz went for a 2 year deal)...they won't have money to sign everyone. And at some point it's diminishing returns with all offensive players - there's only one puck on the ice. That's not to belittle the kids, they're all great players. But Edmonton isn't built to win right now. They don't have a Keith or Seabrook like the Hawks did when they won, and they were lucky they did when they did because they we're blown up right away.

its gonna be fun to watch edmonton develop into an elite team. 5 years down the road, when sedins will maybe not be canucks/retired, edmonton will dominate the division

Salary Cap says it'll be fun too...If Hemsky is worth 5 million now - imagine what Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupoc, Gagner and Shultz will be worth in 5 years.

Wonder if there's room for a goalie there?

Archived