Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Shea Weber or Rick Nash?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Shea Weber or Rick Nash?

Which one would you want?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:19 AM

I keep seeing these discussions going on about how people want Rick Nash, and people want Shea Weber. Well they both won't be coming here, but there is possibility of getting one of these two, the real question is which one would you rather see in a Canucks uniform and why?

Having a nice power forward like Rick Nash would be amazing, using him with the Sedins and the Kesler line, the PP, a beast who can score. Nash is 28 years old at 6"4, plays RW, has a salary cap of $7.8M, and worth every penny in my opinion. Just want to say, seeing Booth last year play with the Sedins a bit, actually looked not to bad, just a thought, but there is still always Burrows.

Now having a defenceman stud like Shea Weber would also be amazing, someone who can literally play 30 mins a game if needed, and still be dominate. This guy can do it all, his defense is amazing he can shut down top offensive lines with no problem, throw guys around with his body, especially in front of the net which is very important. Weber also has a bomb of a shot, who would be an easy Sami Salo replacement, play on the PP, play PK if needed, overall Weber is a stud and a BC born. Weber is 26 turning 27, he is 6"4 the same as Nash, but has about 20 more pounds on him, his salary cap last year was $7.5M, but obviously with a longer contract signing it would cut the salary cap down as well, as for Nash you can't change his salary cap for a while.

In my opinion as much as I have always wanted a big power forward to play with the Sedins, because I think they deserve it, and would be just that much more of a dominate line with a big power forward, I still have to go with Weber. Weber is the real deal, he would help us out defensively in a big way, and offensively at the same time. Also if Schneider is going to be the starter not that I don't have faith in him, but still he is a rookie as far as being a starter, having a guy like Weber in front of Cory would be very beneficial I think to him and to the team.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

"You don't know this, but Trevor Linden had cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage for the last four games of the 1994 Stanley Cup Final," Cliff Ronning said. "You can't imagine what it's like to hear your captain, in a room down the hall, screaming at the top of his lungs as they injected the needle into his rib cage. Knowing him, he probably thought we couldn't hear. He would then walk into our dressing room like nothing had happened. That was inspirational."

#2 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

I'd focus on Weber more than Nash for sure.

Both are excellent players around the same age and close to the same salary. If I were a GM, I would build my team around a franchise defenseman rather than a top-tier power forward any day.

Just have a look at the histories of Nashville and Columbus since both players have been with their respective teams. Who has fared better? The Preds. Both teams have tried to build around their superstars, but, one has been far more successful than the other.

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

#3 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

If it was for our team I would take Weber over Nash anyday and everyday.

We don't need Nash, but we need Weber. Nash would be amazing with the Sedins but the Sedins are already amazing.

As for Weber. we need a #1, Edler is emerging as that so to have both of those guys on one pair would be amazing, Weber would quickly forget about Suter if Edler can fill out his potential.

So Weber, no question.

zackass.png

#4 HavocSpree

HavocSpree

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:41 AM

Weber for sure

Posted Image

credit to marinated.pea for the sick sig

#5 vancouvercanucks#1

vancouvercanucks#1

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

tbh Nash would solidify our top 6 and be the perfect winger for the Sedins :\ could bump burrows down to kesler's line

i am so sick of don cherry. get him the hell off ...hes way past his expiry date. I'm trying to watch hockey I don't want some senile blowhard talking about respecting baby jesus's birthday and not taking the lord's name in vain.

#6 sxqhfeh

sxqhfeh

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

We need both

#7 2013's The Charm

2013's The Charm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

Make an offer for Weber then go after Nash.

#8 xCANUCKAHOLICx

xCANUCKAHOLICx

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

webber than mr shane doan yup yup

#9 BlurTriX

BlurTriX

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:14 AM

Weber is a BC boy so I'd have to go with him.

Untitled.png

#10 HavocSpree

HavocSpree

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:20 AM

who's webber? :blink:

you mean WEBER?

Posted Image

credit to marinated.pea for the sick sig

#11 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:28 AM

It's really close, but based on our needs right now, I'd say Rick Nash. If we hadn't of acquired Garrison, I'd probably pick Weber. Only because I think our defense is much better with Garrison(a poor mans Weber) who will also help Edler reach #1 status. With the addition of Weber our D would suddenly get really crowded. But our lack of a game-changing forward up front has been pretty evident in the playoffs when we got absolutely shut down by LA and Boston. And Rick Nash is such a rare talent when it comes to the ideal Sedins linemate. He is capable of putting up 40-50 goals next to the Sedins and his size, speed, and goal scoring is a deadly combination that Burrows lacks when it comes playoff time. Plus Nash has been on a horrible team for such a long time now and he'll be more motivated than ever on a cup contender. The same can be said for Weber but he does play with some pretty solid talent in Nashville.

Edited by ButterBean, 06 July 2012 - 03:31 AM.

#12 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:28 AM

The need for a Weber is much much greater than a Nash.
stan smyl 2.0

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 AM

It's not 7.5 per year, Kesler's at 5 million and Malhotra's at 2.5 million

#13 Rodishred

Rodishred

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:07 AM

It's really close, but based on our needs right now, I'd say Rick Nash. If we hadn't of acquired Garrison, I'd probably pick Weber. Only because I think our defense is much better with Garrison(a poor mans Weber) who will also help Edler reach #1 status. With the addition of Weber our D would suddenly get really crowded. But our lack of a game-changing forward up front has been pretty evident in the playoffs when we got absolutely shut down by LA and Boston. And Rick Nash is such a rare talent when it comes to the ideal Sedins linemate. He is capable of putting up 40-50 goals next to the Sedins and his size, speed, and goal scoring is a deadly combination that Burrows lacks when it comes playoff time. Plus Nash has been on a horrible team for such a long time now and he'll be more motivated than ever on a cup contender. The same can be said for Weber but he does play with some pretty solid talent in Nashville.

+1
I think on most teams Weber would be the answer hands down. I think in the long run Weber would be the answer for us as well.......but...... there is a very small window left with this group of players. Our needs to get us over the top in the playoffs are very specific. Bottom line is the Sedins will be ineffective in the playoffs again this year and all their years left here unless they have a bonified powerforward to protect and give size, grit to their line and finally be that consistant dominant line in the playoffs round after round. Burrows in the regular season is fine but come playoff time... they have been figured out.
If we get Weber, we won't be anymore effective then Nashville was last playoff. Our first line would be ineffective again and if, just if Kesler isn't Kes of 2011 playoffs, well, who on this team is going to take them on their back and win the round?....

Nash short term and Weber long term.

The only exception I can think of is if we got Weber AND Doan, then hell yah, but I see that happening even less then these other almost no existant chances to land these guys....

I have a feeling that Nash will be a Canuck come October.

Edited by Rodishred, 06 July 2012 - 04:09 AM.

#14 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,345 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

We don't have room for either.

Our top-6 is solid right now with 2 point-per-game players (Sedins), 2 60-point players (Kesler and Burrows) and 2 50-point players (Booth and Higgins), all of whom are 20-goal scorers. Even our 3rd line has 2 40-point scorers (Raymond and Hansen) and a 30-point scorer in Lapierre. That's already more offence than most NHL teams.

Our quality minutes on the blueline are already taken up with Hamhuis and Bieksa who play 22-24 minutes a game, Edler who averages around the same and Garrison who hit 23 minutes last season. Our 3rd pairing will have to play 15-17 minutes a game anyway.

Also cap-wise neither makes sense. We have 4 guys on defence costing us well over 4 million and Edler who is set to hit 5-6 million, there is no room for another 7 million dollar guy unless we let Edler walk or get rid of Ballard and then some.
Posted Image

#15 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

Weber, obviously.

© 2000, 2015 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

SuomenLippu.gif

#16 Rodishred

Rodishred

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

Kassian is not ready yet for those of you that feel he is the answer for the Sedins..... and don't even go there with Bitz. At a cap hit that looks reasonable especially the term, Nash looks really good in my eyes. How much would it cost and for how long a term to get Weber? Another 13 year but 120 million dollar contract? Yah he rocks but no more Luongo lenghth contracts for this team.

#17 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

Weber and Luongo are the only ones I would ever give long contracts to. So one more time please, if that's what it takes.

© 2000, 2015 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

SuomenLippu.gif

#18 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:21 AM

Both. If the Wild can get 2 best players why cant we? Make it so M.G.

#19 Gino Odjick

Gino Odjick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:59 AM

Where are we getting all this cap space?

#20 tas

tas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

to nashville:

edler
kesler
raymond

to vancouver:

weber's rfa rights
legwand

to columbus:

luongo
booth
jensen
1st
+

to vancouver:

nash
letestu

with some cap space left to add a back up goalie and shore up the depth:

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)
Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Mark Letestu ($0.625m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Shea Weber ($7.500m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,470,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,730,000

#21 fall0ff

fall0ff

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

this thread or that thread?

#22 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

We already have 5 best players. Sedins, Kesler, Edler and Luongo.

#23 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

We need Weber a lot more than we need Nash, a 28 year old forward with 7+ million dollars in cap hit, who's produced fewer points than Desharnais.

#24 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

I'd focus on Weber more than Nash for sure.

Both are excellent players around the same age and close to the same salary. If I were a GM, I would build my team around a franchise defenseman rather than a top-tier power forward any day.

Just have a look at the histories of Nashville and Columbus since both players have been with their respective teams. Who has fared better? The Preds. Both teams have tried to build around their superstars, but, one has been far more successful than the other.

I'd suggest that the respective managements had more to do with the success of those franchises. Preds have done more with their drafting than the CBJ for decades. I voted Weber simply because IMO CUP winning teams win from the net out. Nash is a special talent as demonstared on numerous World Cup and Olympic teams.

#25 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

Weber!!!
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#26 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Neither. A cap hit of $7.8 million for the next six years in Nash and a probable $8 or $9 million hit for Weber over 8-12 years ties up far too much money. The team will still need cap space to obtain high level players to keep Vancouver in the top tier of the league and the team won't be able to afford such players. Although the Sedins may prove to be outstanding well into their mid to late thirties, their deals are up in two years and will need to be resigned at at least what they are making now and probably more. Factor in the cost of Edler's raise for the 13-14 season and beyond and there's no reasonable way to accommodate all those big contracts.

I would also point out that neither Nash nor Weber has even made it to the Cup final, so there's no guarnatee that either or both of them are the final pieces of the puzzle. All those who are fixated on these guys must remember that Vancouver has a very good team right now and if they can find a decent offensive centre, a scoring winger and another top four defenceman, they are legitimate contenders for the Stanley Cup. But, Gillis doesn't need to blow the budget on one or two guys who will eat up close to 20 per cent of the salary budget.

#27 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

Nash right now. Weber next year when becomes UFA.

:D

#28 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

webber than mr shane doan yup yup

If we could afford this and somehow make it happen, these would be the perfect moves to make right now. Although with the addition of Weber, we would probably be forced to trade one of Edler, Hamhuis, or Bieksa. Or Garrison, but I don't think that's a good idea since we just signed him.

If we kept all of those guys, one of them would be playing bottom pairing, which is amazing for us, but a really bad deal for them.

#29 enterin

enterin

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

to nashville:

edler
kesler
raymond

to vancouver:

weber's rfa rights
legwand

to columbus:

luongo
booth
jensen
1st
+

to vancouver:

nash
letestu

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------

to nashville:

edler
kesler
raymond

to vancouver:

weber's rfa rights
legwand

to columbus:

luongo
booth
jensen
1st
+

to vancouver:

nash
letestu

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------

You are frikkin kidding me !!!! Go back under your rock exchange our youth for older serious Columbus has a losing team. Nash has to be an addition with not upsetting our core..maybe booth could go but not edler totally rubbish

#30 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

if i am correct that's both of their hometown

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.