The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we were willing to shell out for a player with a multi-year, 7 mil cap hit, I would rather have traded Lu for Vincent Lecavalier.

32 year-old Lecavalier > 36 year-old Doan

...and I imagine it will be even more pronounced when Doan is 37, 38, and 39 (while Vinny 33, 34, and 35). Right after that is when Vinny's contract starts declining.

If we were willing to shell out for a player with a multi-year, 7 mil cap hit, I would rather have traded Lu for Vincent Lecavalier.

32 year-old Lecavalier > 36 year-old Doan

...and I imagine it will be even more pronounced when Doan is 37, 38, and 39 (while Vinny 33, 34, and 35). Right after that is when Vinny's contract starts declining.

Why not rock both? ;-) (PS This is a JOKE. Don't take me seriously)

Lu + Ballard to Tampa for Vinny + Brian Lee (Almost even cap hits)

Raymond to Jupiter for future considerations (whatever)

Sign Doan

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Shane Doan ($4.550m)

Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / David Booth ($4.250m)

Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Jannik Hansen ($1.350m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m)

Dale Weise ($0.615m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Brian Lee ($1.150m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.660m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,047,273; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $152,727

I agree sampy. Luongo has more value than Lecavalier.

I wouldn't sign Lecavalier to his contract if he were a UFA, let alone give up a marquis asset like Luongo - on top of his 7.7 million cap hit (his salary is actually 10 million for the next four years, 8.5 the year after and then tails off - like his production already has).

He and Doan have similar offensive numbers the last few years, but Doan is a much, much more 'physical' player - and I highly doubt the Canucks would consider offering more than the Sedins 6.1 - so if he does sign with Vancouver, he's be a better value than Lecavalier in both senses.

There have been reports from doans agents mouth saying that the supposed 4 year 30 million deal was NOT true, It happened a while ago. Im not sure why you are all still hung up on doan demanding 4 year 30 million since it is far from true, Im not saying he wont sign that contract, but what i am saying is it never happened, and that is NOT the bargaining point and nor will it be.

There have been reports from doans agents mouth saying that the supposed 4 year 30 million deal was NOT true, It happened a while ago. Im not sure why you are all still hung up on doan demanding 4 year 30 million since it is far from true, Im not saying he wont sign that contract, but what i am saying is it never happened, and that is NOT the bargaining point and nor will it be.

One would think if Doan would like to have a taste of NHL success he would want out of that franchise. In Doans 14 year career he has played 55 total playoff games and been past the 1st round once.

Doan on the Canucks would be a much better likelyhood of success. He could join the Pens who would give him a shot at a cup as well, but Doan would probably be much more of contributer on the Canucks than with the Pens.

If Doan decides Phoenix is a dead issue, I believe Vancouver would be his next choice, but as has been stated already, I too feel that there are a couple of other teams out there that would overpay to gain his services. As the two that I'm thinking of are also cup contenders, I feel that if he wants to play in Vancouver, It's going to be more of a family choice and not so much of a financial one.

If MG balances his offer with the Sedins salary, Doan at max should be offered about 5.5 mil a season with the term being a determining factor in this number dropping, in anticipation of production dropping in later years of the deal. One thing, I think can be said, is that MG will not overpay for a slightly above average player. Yes he brings physical play, and yes he can provide more leadership but at the end of the day he is entering the twilight of his career and to be locked in at 5-5.5 mil a year till he's 40 or 41 would be risky, especially given his playing style.

Don't get me wrong; I would love to see Doan in Vancouver colors this upcoming season. I think he could be the missing piece to our Stanley Cup puzzle, but only at a fair price. If a Doan deal can't get done, I feal MG will move forward with the Lou deal with a premier second line winger or another big defenceman in mind or maybe both and I, personally would be good with that.

Archived