The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick Kane embarrassed by drunk photos

Tystick

I think it's time for you to retire from this message board, can't remember last time I've seen a decent post from you.

If you think getting drunk while you're in your 20's and taking some "drunk" photos is bad, then you are one boring person.

You know the drinking age is 21 in America right? He's only been legal for a couple years, chill out.

I guess he has to break someones neck for you to like him.

He's young, rich, and famous

This isn't the first time he's been photographed like this and it likely won't be the last. Eventually he will mature into a man and this phase of life will be behind him. But, for now, let him be. IMO anyways.

He's 23 years old, he's not a kid...and if anything, should have matured long ago like the majority of professional hockey players who at an even younger age than he conduct themselves with class and maturity in public and private during the off-season.

Let him be? What, like he's some victim or something? Is Kane a martyr now, for being a drunken douche-nozzle?

How do you know he'll eventually mature? If he hasn't matured by now, there's a chance that he won't. The guy, being a Cup champ, and an idol to many kids, should be setting a better example for those that want to follow in his footsteps, let alone the younger guys coming onto his team. But he doesn't think about those things, evidently, instead he prefers to go out in public, get #$%^-faced and make a complete ass of himself, and then sheepishly tell us weeks later that he's 'embarassed'. Well la-dee-da. That totally clears and negates his behaviour and doesn't make him appear as a total douchewad at all. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't catch Captain Serious acting the fool like that, which is why I have some semblance of respect for him at least, unlike the distaste for PK's recent antics.....the infantile imbecile.

Surprised you give him a pass on this.

So, what, he or any other player for this matter should not engage in any sort of behavior or activity publicly that the wet blankets may take issue with? Such minor nitpicking over a young man with million of dollars and simply having a good time with what little leisure time he does get and he does deserve. He represents the city and the team well and quite frankly that's all that should matter. He didn't do anything wrong, he didn't do anything illegal, it shouldn't be frowned upon... which brings me back to my previous comment.

"He represents the city and the team"....nailed that part. "Well" - not so much to date. How quickly you've forgotten the whole cabbie thing? He should be focusing on representing the team/city well both on and off ice but, to date, he's mostly drawing negative attention when he steps off the ice.

Here's the deal - we were all young once and yes, drinking is part of that for many. But the guy who constantly makes an ass of himself quickly becomes a nuisance more than anything - we all know that guy. Sure, provides a few laughs at the time but it gets old rather quickly. Others can become annoyed by the idiot around them who has to have the spotlight. And, for every yahoo punk who thinks he's Superman when he's drunk and that everyone else is a wet blanet, there are probably 5 people around him who think he's simply a clown. I guess it's about seeing it from others' perspective.

To the person up there suggesting "rich people don't have to care what others think" - that's a pretty narcissistic view of things. I guess it's all about having a moral compass and looking outside yourself. Have fun and get drunk but, if you choose to do so in the spotlight, don't expect everyone around you to think you're the coolest. Some won't. So it's not about him having fun and enjoying himself...pick your spots. He can afford to throw private parties, no? If he's in the general public, that's his deal.

PK isn't doing anything that many others haven't also done....but there is a difference between the average Joe and PK. He is a high paid/high profile athlete and how he conducts himself does come into play in that. The big dollars come attached to a code of conduct to some degree - it's so strongly implemented that simple comments can result in fines. So behavior has to fall in line with that and his team clearly isn't too impressed. It's about thinking beyond "me me me" and looking to the bigger picture and others connected via his career. Kids look up to hockey players and the message he sends is an important one. Using alcohol responsibly being part of that - despite what everyone else is doing.

Perhaps those in here that think he doesn't need to be embarrassed by the photos forgot about the accompanying stories and rumors such as choking a girl. Whether or not he did it is irrelevant. His irresponsible actions are what left him open to the numerous documentations of his night and the backlash that ensued. He is paid a lot of money to represent a team and city and its about time he started earning it.

Just the fact he chose to get drunk when he has the freedom of money to do anything else is beyond me. Drinking is the last thing I would choose at any age of my life. It has always made me scatch my head when people with the freedom of money choose to waste their time drinking for entertainment.

"He represents the city and the team"....nailed that part. "Well" - not so much to date. How quickly you've forgotten the whole cabbie thing? He should be focusing on representing the team/city well both on and off ice but, to date, he's mostly drawing negative attention when he steps off the ice.

Here's the deal - we were all young once and yes, drinking is part of that for many. But the guy who constantly makes an ass of himself quickly becomes a nuisance more than anything - we all know that guy. Sure, provides a few laughs at the time but it gets old rather quickly. Others can become annoyed by the idiot around them who has to have the spotlight. And, for every yahoo punk who thinks he's Superman when he's drunk and that everyone else is a wet blanet, there are probably 5 people around him who think he's simply a clown. I guess it's about seeing it from others' perspective.

To the person up there suggesting "rich people don't have to care what others think" - that's a pretty narcissistic view of things. I guess it's all about having a moral compass and looking outside yourself. Have fun and get drunk but, if you choose to do so in the spotlight, don't expect everyone around you to think you're the coolest. Some won't. So it's not about him having fun and enjoying himself...pick your spots. He can afford to throw private parties, no? If he's in the general public, that's his deal.

PK isn't doing anything that many others haven't also done....but there is a difference between the average Joe and PK. He is a high paid/high profile athlete and how he conducts himself does come into play in that. The big dollars come attached to a code of conduct to some degree - it's so strongly implemented that simple comments can result in fines. So behavior has to fall in line with that and his team clearly isn't too impressed. It's about thinking beyond "me me me" and looking to the bigger picture and others connected via his career. Kids look up to hockey players and the message he sends is an important one. Using alcohol responsibly being part of that - despite what everyone else is doing.

There's just something about pro athletes and drinking and partying. Unless they're celebrating a win, it seems as though the folks who like to have fun are the folks who struggle. Maybe coincidental. Probably coincidental, especially if Kane struggles this year. But a friend from Comox told me about his friend's roomie Ty Wishart. Apparently he partied and got drunk every night, and now he's a bust.

Since it was the end of their season, I guess Kane gets a pass this time around. But it definitely scares the crap out of Hawks fans and makes them wonder whether he'll stop come September.

The cabbie incident is completely irrelevant and has since been dealt with. Okay, yes, he does represent the city and the team during the season and in team functions off ice. With that said, do ANY of you guys getting on his case about this or the cab incident frown upon the Blackhawks organization for the act of a single player? No. And both of these are completely non hockey related. You're all simply referring to him as immature or as a douchebag and that's it. You're guys' opinion of the franchise has not changed for better or worse. Do you guys now think negatively of Jets or the Oilers for Pavelec and Khabibulin's DUI's? No. It does not make the franchise look bad. The player himself makes himself look bad -- depending on who you ask. So we can put the whole "he's representing the organization badly" crap to rest. And if anyone actually does take issue with the organization that has no control over their players personal lives during the off season, go watch another sport. We all know how well behaved NFL, MLB and NBA players are :rolleyes:

I personally have no problem whatsoever with what players do in their personal lives in the off season. As long as it's not illegal, of course. If they want to get drunk and make an ass of themselves, so be it. I don't think it was that bad to begin with. It's always embarrassing when it's YOU and you see the pictures of yourself afterwards. If what you do in the off season does NOT affect your preparation for the upcoming season and ultimately your game overall then so be it. Do as you please. But if your behavior does affect your upcoming season then we're going to have a problem here, and as the GM, I'm going to be up in your face about it. Just look at Ovechkin. He got fat and lazy over the previous summer by doing whatever the hell he was doing. That I would take issue with, because it's clearly affecting him and the team. The Flyers took issue with Richards and Carter's off ice partying life style. At the end of the day, it did not affect their game, and these 'cancers', as one may refer to them as, won a Cup. It depends on the individual, really.

Archived