Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2402 replies to this topic

#991 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

You forgot the NY Islanders. They have Nabokov for another year as a 37 year old and no one in the system to replace him. They are still my dark horse for a Luongo trade.

The already have a boat anchor contract with DiPietro.

#992 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Why trade him now, when his value is at an all time low (despite having a great year), when you know it will increase in the future.

There are a ton of teams that are entering the season with an unproven/shakey goaltender, and that have high expectations to win this season.

Toronto: Reimer?...
Washington: Holtby/Neuvirth
Tampa: Lindback
NJ: Brodeur (age)
Florida: Theodore/Clemmenson/Markstrom
Chicago: Crawford
Ottawa: Anderson?

Not saying all these guys won't play well, because it's likely a bunch of them will. But what's also VERY likely is that a few of these guys struggle hard. Just imagine if Washington or Tampa get off to a 5-10 start with struggling goaltending. Those teams have superstar players in their prime years, the demand to go out and get a goalie will skyrocket big time.

If I'm Gillis, I laugh at every call from opposing GMs trying to convince me I have an untradable asset that I should be giving away for very little. Please. This is an allstar goaltender, one of the most consistent in the past 5 years,with 2 or 3 seasons of elite level left, who's locked up for a long time. He's a tremendous athlete, and has a burning fire to win. That sort of attitude is contagious, and can influence everyone on the team. Both Luongo and Schneids are true professionals, both want to win, and by holding out for a bit and playing out a 1A 1B situation for a few months they are giving both Vancouver a better return and chance to win, and allowing Luongo to have a larger group of teams to choose from; all while giving Vancovuer the best goalie tandem in the game and one of the best in the past decade.

People want to think we have a problem here in Van with our goalies, they can think again. :)

So with the gaping whole we have on the second line and our poor defensive depth, you think it's ok to have a backup goalie with a 5+ cap hit?

#993 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

So with the gaping whole we have on the second line and our poor defensive depth, you think it's ok to have a backup goalie with a 5+ cap hit?

if the season starts late (say December), maybe having 2 #1 Goalies is the way to go with a condensed season and many back to back games.

#994 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

so by your standards Elliot is the best goalie in the NHL?

Not talking about Elliot,,, but there were 13 and 15 goalies with better stats than Lou...most playing on inferior teams....so..yes lots were better than Lou..

#995 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

Not talking about Elliot,,, but there were 13 and 15 goalies with better stats than Lou...most playing on inferior teams....so..yes lots were better than Lou..

and Cory's stats were miles better than Lou's...playing for same team...maybe a better comparison than Elliot...ya thenk ?

#996 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

and Cory's stats were miles better than Lou's...playing for same team...maybe a better comparison than Elliot...ya thenk ?

Calm down there Vanity Smurf. Calm down.

Posted Image

#997 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

Calm down there Vanity Smurf. Calm down.

Was not directed to your post so I suggest you keep your snide and unsolicited responses to yourself and stay on topic !

#998 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Was not directed to your post so I suggest you keep your snide and unsolicited responses to yourself and stay on topic !

Concerning you? I don't think so. I'm making sure you don't go overboard with non-facts.

Posted Image

#999 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

Concerning you? I don't think so. I'm making sure you don't go overboard with non-facts.

Schnieder: 1.96 GAA, .937 Sv%
Luongo: 2.41 GAA, .919 Sv %

How are these non-facts?

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#1000 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

psst smurf47 - you appear to be having an argument with yourself...

#1001 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

psst smurf47 - you appear to be having an argument with yourself...

That's pretty much what I thought too. Vanity smurf is slowly losing it I tell you.

Posted Image

#1002 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Schnieder: 1.96 GAA, .937 Sv%
Luongo: 2.41 GAA, .919 Sv %

How are these non-facts?

I'll take these stable Luongo stats over heavily unrealistic Schneider stats. No goaltender can maintain Schneider's stats being a 60+ game 1G.

2010-2011 - 2.11 GAA .928 Sv%

The guy pulls a 1.76 GAA and a .927 Sv% winning gold and still manages to pull a 2.57 GAA .913 Sv% for the Canucks in 2010. Winning gold took a toll on Luongo. He comes back the next year and posts a 2.11 GAA .928 Sv% and comes within a few hours of kissing silverware.

Some will argue the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy of all sports to win. It is expected that there will be a slight down in production the next year after over exhaustion and a short summer recovery. If you don't believe it, do some research on post-SCF teams, silver or not, and you will see there is a sllight dropoff every time. He still pulled a 2.41 GAA and a .919 Sv%.

With a 2.29, 2.38, 2.34, 2.57, 2.11 and 2.41 GAA and a .921, .917, .920, .913, .928 and a .919 Sv% since coming to Vancouver, I feel the team's goaltending is secure.

The dire need is secondary scoring, which Kesler as a center does not provide. Schneider has been built to be traded. This is what Gillis does.

Edited by GHL, 15 August 2012 - 09:32 PM.

Posted Image

#1003 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

I'll take these stable Luongo stats over heavily unrealistic Schneider stats. No goaltender can maintain Schneider's stats being a 60+ game 1G.

2.52 3.22 2.56 3.59 yeah that is some stable stuff,,,to bad they suck for a playoff goalie

#1004 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

Quick came close.
GAA: 1.95
Sv%, ,929
69 games.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#1005 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Quick came close.
GAA: 1.95
Sv%, ,929
69 games.

Quick's real numbers:

07-08 - 3.83, .855
08-09 - 2.48, .914
09-10 - 2.54, .907
10-11 - 2.24, .918
and then...
11-12 - 1.95, .929

Posted Image

#1006 sirensong

sirensong

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

Quick's real numbers:

07-08 - 3.83, .855
08-09 - 2.48, .914
09-10 - 2.54, .907
10-11 - 2.24, .918
and then...
11-12 - 1.95, .929

Its called improvement... By your standards the Twins should still being considered 30pts players, or Kesler nothing more than a 3rd line center, or Burrows an undrafted player who wont make it.

Players get better.... And sometimes it is overnight and flicks like a light switch. Other guys take years to develop and find their way and some guys never live up to the hype.

#1007 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

Its called improvement... By your standards the Twins should still being considered 30pts players, or Kesler nothing more than a 3rd line center, or Burrows an undrafted player who wont make it.

Players get better.... And sometimes it is overnight and flicks like a light switch. Other guys take years to develop and find their way and some guys never live up to the hype.

No. Really? I... did not know that.

Point being that the pro-Schneider/ anti-Luongo fans are taking a one year basis reference which entirely defeats the purpose of analysis, especially when there is a rather heavy amount of data that proves Luongo is the real deal while Schneider's body of data is too small to claim he's the real deal. He's great, yes. Is he the real deal? No one knows.

Posted Image

#1008 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

.....You can;t win with a guy like that...hes only here to stir the pot and piss people off...he will turn anything you say, or quote from NHL stats to serve his own purpose. If he knew something about goaltending it might have creedence...but he doesn;t...probably a soccer player !

#1009 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Point being that the pro-Schneider/ anti-Luongo fans are taking a one year basis reference which entirely defeats the purpose of analysis, especially when there is a rather heavy amount of data that proves Luongo is the real deal while Schneider's body of data is too small to claim he's the real deal. He's great, yes. Is he the real deal? No one knows.

Then...pray tell.. why.are the Canucks shopping Lou and keeping Schneider? They could have got a lot for Schneider but hes not for sale. Question all of us all you want but management does not appear to share your sentiments. Your the only guy on your parade route fella !!

#1010 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

.....You can;t win with a guy like that...hes only here to stir the pot and piss people off...he will turn anything you say, or quote from NHL stats to serve his own purpose. If he knew something about goaltending it might have creedence...but he doesn;t...probably a soccer player !

Ok you got me little girl. I don't have "47 years" of goaltending so I cannot make any false claims such as "Luongo demanded a trade", "Gillis says Schneider is number one" and so on.

You've got me Vanity smurf.

Posted Image

#1011 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

Then...pray tell.. why.are the Canucks shopping Lou and keeping Schneider? They could have got a lot for Schneider but hes not for sale. Question all of us all you want but management does not appear to share your sentiments. Your the only guy on your parade route fella !!

I don't think so. One great year by Schneider under no pressure and one bad year post-SCF from Luongo does not make it that Luongo is traded for sure. Schneider is not there yet and Luongo has been there for a long time. This Schneider fanfare is great for fans and the Luongo saga is even better.

What pisses me off is the utter disrespect pro-Schneider fans are showing Luongo when in FACT (for Vanity smurf), he is one of three goaltenders to bring the Canucks to the big danse: R. Brodeur, McLean and Luongo.

Posted Image

#1012 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

How many goalies have gone on to win their 1st cup after already playing for 12 seasons, how many goalies have won their 1st cup at age 34(Lu will be 34 playoff time) that did not have a Vezina under their belt?

#1013 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

I don't think so. One great year by Schneider under no pressure and one bad year post-SCF from Luongo does not make it that Luongo is traded for sure. Schneider is not there yet and Luongo has been there for a long time. This Schneider fanfare is great for fans and the Luongo saga is even better.

What pisses me off is the utter disrespect pro-Schneider fans are showing Luongo when in FACT (for Vanity smurf), he is one of three goaltenders to bring the Canucks to the big danse: R. Brodeur, McLean and Luongo.

well said, I can only hope that if Luongo IS traded two things happen:

1. Schneider can also return us to the finals, and hopefully win us a cup.

2. Lu finally gets a cup, even if it is with another team. He deserves it.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#1014 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

well said, I can only hope that if Luongo IS traded two things happen:

1. Schneider can also return us to the finals, and hopefully win us a cup.

2. Lu finally gets a cup, even if it is with another team. He deserves it.

I fully agree.

Gillis is most likely sleeping right now. Why hire a sleep doctor and not lead by example? Most people in his place would pull a Howsen panic move or be on coke and pulling a Howsen and do panic move.

Edited by GHL, 15 August 2012 - 10:30 PM.

Posted Image

#1015 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

Seeing as how even you claim that all the other GM's want Schneider instead of Luongo, then I guess it's a calculated risk that most GM's including ours would rather take. Your opinion is not shared by most of the hockey world, and that is why we have made all the moves and indications that we will be keeping the better player for now and for the future. Schneider.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#1016 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

I disagree that Schneider didn't have any pressure last season, especially in the playoffs.

He came in to 0-2 series, going up against a team that scored like 7 goals in 2 games against Luongo and a brick wall in Quick. Also, played in 2 elimination games. His GAA and save% speaks for themselves.

IMO, he was able to match Quick's play and gave us a chance to win.

#1017 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

Data shows Lu sucks in playoffs and is likely not to get better.
How many goalies have gone on to win their 1st cup after already playing for 12 seasons, how many goalies have won their 1st cup at age 34(Lu will be 34 playoff time) that did not have a Vezina under their belt?

#1018 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

so by your standards Elliot is the best goalie in the NHL?

What he's saying is that teams don't care what Lu did a few years ago, they care about last year, and whose the best goalie now. Who is that? I'd say Jonathan Quick. Agree?
Posted Image

#1019 Bobby_Lu1ngo

Bobby_Lu1ngo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

I don't know if it's really worth arguing about to be honest.

In all reality Luongo is a more proven goalie with more of a sample size, no one doubts that he is a great NHL goaltender and much better option than most goalies in the league. Money aside I'm most GM's would take Luongo over their starter with exception to a handful of teams.

The canucks could deal either one, if they dealt Schneider they would likely get a better return (more reasonable contract, younger, more potential).

Luongo is Luongo, everyone knows what your going to get, some years one of the top 3 goalies in the league, other years maybe 5-10 range for goalies. Either way he's not going to bring much more than he already has to the table for us. For other teams he would be a big improvement and make a difference.

The argument that Schneider hasnt played enough games is not a good one. Schneider has been a top notch goalie at every level he has ever played. He's always had a very high save percentage and good GAA. He is a great goaltender. Who honestly thinks that with more games under his belt he could become worse? If anything he will become better. He may not keep up the numbers he has posted this season but no one expects him to. If he puts up 2.10-2.25 GAA and a .92 - .925 we have as good of a chance with Luongo. I think the difference is what Schneids does in big games with lots on the line where Lou can be unpredictable Schneider has proven he can play calm and collected and not let in 5-7 goals.
when the puck drops, im there

#1020 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

I don't know if it's really worth arguing about to be honest.

In all reality Luongo is a more proven goalie with more of a sample size, no one doubts that he is a great NHL goaltender and much better option than most goalies in the league. Money aside I'm most GM's would take Luongo over their starter with exception to a handful of teams.

The canucks could deal either one, if they dealt Schneider they would likely get a better return (more reasonable contract, younger, more potential).

Luongo is Luongo, everyone knows what your going to get, some years one of the top 3 goalies in the league, other years maybe 5-10 range for goalies. Either way he's not going to bring much more than he already has to the table for us. For other teams he would be a big improvement and make a difference.

The argument that Schneider hasnt played enough games is not a good one. Schneider has been a top notch goalie at every level he has ever played. He's always had a very high save percentage and good GAA. He is a great goaltender. Who honestly thinks that with more games under his belt he could become worse? If anything he will become better. He may not keep up the numbers he has posted this season but no one expects him to. If he puts up 2.10-2.25 GAA and a .92 - .925 we have as good of a chance with Luongo. I think the difference is what Schneids does in big games with lots on the line where Lou can be unpredictable Schneider has proven he can play calm and collected and not let in 5-7 goals.

Good post. Schneider won't become worse before he becomes better. That said, his numbers will average out as the body of data is revealed through time.

Schneider will have his moments when he sh!ts the bed; all goaltenders have one, then another, and then another some other time and so on. The mentality of this fragile and finicky fan base will not allow failure at any cost because the world can end tomorrow.... right? That's what living on a major faultline does to the collective psyche of a Pacific Rim population. Schneider, like every other 1G in the history of the league, will have a very bad loss at some point; like Luongo has numerous times. He's been here six years; six years to a 12 year old is half a lifetime.

The question here then becomes this:

Is it better to have Schneider with what Lungo could bring in or is it better to have Luongo with what Schneider can bring in.

There are rebuilding teams that will pay a fortune at the deadline for such a prize posession as Schneider and will unload some high offense, possibly including as of now 2013 UFAs Iginla, Semin, Getzlaf, Perry, Alfredson, Lupul, Hartnell, Morrow, Horton, Zajac, Simon Gagne and Penner and 2014 UFAs Malkin, Heatley, Gaborik, Thornton, Marleau, Boumeester, Boyle, Statsny, Phaneuf, Kessel, perhaps for a chance to acquire Schneider. This does not include what other parts of a deal that would come back as Schneider goes to a building or semi-rebuilding team.

With Luongo, so far it is Florida or nowhere. As of today, the chances of Luongo landing in T.O. is Saturdays January 12. Chicago, the only other team mentioned vocally by Luongo, makes as much sense for the Canucks to trade him there as for Luongo signing a fifteen year deal with one team and then waiving his NTC. Luongo is an extremely smart man and no better choice of team to chose than Chicago to insure he doesn't get traded. Toronto on the other hand might look ridiculous now with their lowball offer but it is only early posturing by Burke. As he sees his team falter, his face will get redder and he'll increase his offer. But Luongo says no via NTC.

Schneider will play lights out. That he will.

Just don't discount Gillis's patience, which fortunately, runs vastly farther than the average finicky fan.

Edited by GHL, 16 August 2012 - 01:46 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.