Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

if the canucks do sign doan, this is my biggest worry...and it isnt probably what you think

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

if the canucks do sign doan (which would be great...if its no more then two years) my biggest worry is would his heart still be with the phx/wpg organization. i know he would play hard and be an effective player but would that little extra push be left in phx. when sundin was here all i kept hearing was "sure, he is canucks but his heart is still in toronto", there is no shame in that because of all the blood, sweat and tears these two guys put into both of their teams.

virtually what im asking is "would the exact same player we saw in phx, be the one we would have in the canucks line up?"

i have my doubts just because of how loyal he is to phx organization but i also know how much of straight up guy he is through and through

so i dont know, only time tell if he does indeed leave his home sweet home..
Posted Image

#2 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

I'm sure he'll still love phx but the cup is where it's at. :)
Posted Image

#3 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

It isn't probably what you think I'd think then, because this is what I probably think.

#4 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

POPULAR

It isn't probably what you think I'd think then, because this is what I probably think.

Posted Image

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

#5 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

I don't know about you, but I think downtown Vancouver will sooner steal a heart than dry, sweltering Arizona.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Kamloops Blazers-Memorial Cup and MVP winner.

Wife is from Kamloops.

BC has to also be in his heart.

#7 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

I don't know about you, but I think downtown Vancouver will sooner steal a heart than dry, sweltering Arizona.

Not if you love the warm climate. It's actually really nice down there and even at 105F it's not that bad. Dry heat is awesome.

#8 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

I'm sure he'll still love phx but the cup is where it's at. :)

Lol apparently he's visiting the canadiens so I don't think he's worried about the cup haha

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

#9 Steven Stamkos

Steven Stamkos

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

It doesn't matter about the city. It's the organization / the teammates, and coaching staff.
Posted Image
Credit to: Ballard_4

#10 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

I don't share the same concern.

It could be like when Bourque escaped Boston. I didn't see him lose anything just because he wasn't playing for the Bruins. Instead it was like he was given a fresh opportunity to win the Cup.
Posted Image

#11 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,418 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

When an organization is paying you millions of dollars, when you're on the road travelling, eating, sleeping, and socializing with a certain group of players, and when you are shown love and loyalty from a city and its fans, it's pretty easy to start loving them.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#12 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

Hopefully we get the chance to find out.. ;)
Posted Image

#13 Konman

Konman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

I never make mistakes.
Once, I thought I did
but I was wrong

#14 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

It doesn't matter about the city. It's the organization / the teammates, and coaching staff.

I am sure that the city matters to some extent. People need to be happy in their surroundings to perform to their best in anything. That's all lines of work, not just sports. Professional or not, environment matters a lot.

#15 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

I am sure that the city matters to some extent. People need to be happy in their surroundings to perform to their best in anything. That's all lines of work, not just sports. Professional or not, environment matters a lot.

Tell that to Detriot's players.
Posted Image

#16 Bieksasangryface

Bieksasangryface

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Lol apparently he's visiting the canadiens so I don't think he's worried about the cup haha

Carey Price is his cousin. Draw yor own conclusions as to why he is giving them a meeting.

#17 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

Doan is always going to be a Coyote. His heart and his legacy is with that franchise and I can't see anything changing that. Just look at all the crap that is going on in Phoenix right now and he is still trying to have faith and stay loyal to that team. Even with all that, the guy is a warrior and if we were lucky enough to sign him, he'd give us everything he's got.

#18 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,239 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

If he goes somewhere else, I think he'll really struggle to adapt to a new environment after being in the same one for so long.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#19 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

I'm not really worried about Doan.... he is a reliable veteran presence and he will give it his all every night.
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#20 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

I say we sign him first and then have thoughts about where his heart is after that.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 six-0h-four-

six-0h-four-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

This thread sucks.
Follow me @CurtisEastman on Twitter.

#22 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

if the canucks do sign doan (which would be great...if its no more then two years) my biggest worry is would his heart still be with the phx/wpg organization. i know he would play hard and be an effective player but would that little extra push be left in phx. when sundin was here all i kept hearing was "sure, he is canucks but his heart is still in toronto", there is no shame in that because of all the blood, sweat and tears these two guys put into both of their teams.

virtually what im asking is "would the exact same player we saw in phx, be the one we would have in the canucks line up?"

i have my doubts just because of how loyal he is to phx organization but i also know how much of straight up guy he is through and through

so i dont know, only time tell if he does indeed leave his home sweet home..

Or he'll try even harder since he's nearing the end of his career and wants a cup. Sundin's heart wasn't "still in Toronto" at least as far as affecting his play goes, because I remember he scored the game winning goal against Toronto that year with us... was hilarious.

#23 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

I'm sure Joe Sakic wasn't worried that Ray Bourque's heart was still in Boston.

Of course his heart will always be in Phoenix, but if he helped lead us to the Cup, he'd be the happiest guy in the world and I wouldn't be shocked to see Doan be the first guy that Hank passed the Cup to after it was presented by Count Bettman.

Aaaahhhh...I can see it now.

Edited by MJDDawg, 24 July 2012 - 09:38 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#24 stonecoldstevebernier

stonecoldstevebernier

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

The issue with Sundin wasn't that his heart wasn't in it, it was that he missed training camp and joined halfway through the year, and was a step behind everyone else on the ice as a result. Especially considering Sundin's age, it was difficult for him to get back up to speed after being away from the game for so many months. I don't foresee the same situation happening with Doan, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by stonecoldstevebernier, 24 July 2012 - 09:37 PM.

Posted Image

3DS FC: 2664 3135 8148. Feel free to add me!

#25 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,154 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

My biggest issue would be that we would become too 1-dimensional. That would give us essentially 7 powerforwards in our top-9 and 2 skilled players (the Sedins). When you look at cup winners like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Boston, they've had an even balance of powerforwards and skilled, talented guys in their top-6 and even top-9. We would have this:

Sedin - Sedin - Doan
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Burrows - Lapierre - Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian

That's actually 3 purely "skill" guys compared to 9 powerforwards who aren't quite at that same skill level. Sure, guys like Kesler and Burrows have skill, but nowhere near the level of offensive creativity or vision as guys like the Sedins, Kopitar, Krejci, Kane, Hossa, Toews, Justin Williams etc. Sure having the Sedins is nice but they're all on 1 line, the rest of our top-9 is full of powerforwards that can easily be defended against.

I'd rather have a skilled guy like Semin on our team than Doan right now, purely because we already have enough powerforward-types and not enough purely skilled guys. Semin would add a lot of balance to our top-9 and make us much harder to defend.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Semin
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Suddenly, each of our lines has at least 1 good powerforward and a purely skilled guy except for the 3rd line which will be our checking line.
Posted Image

#26 ice3u3

ice3u3

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Shane Doan will be more than motivated if he was a canuck and we played the la queens trust me lol

#27 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

My biggest issue would be that we would become too 1-dimensional. That would give us essentially 7 powerforwards in our top-9 and 2 skilled players (the Sedins). When you look at cup winners like Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Boston, they've had an even balance of powerforwards and skilled, talented guys in their top-6 and even top-9. We would have this:

Sedin - Sedin - Doan
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Burrows - Lapierre - Hansen

That's actually 3 purely "skill" guys compared to 9 powerforwards who aren't quite at that same skill level. Sure, guys like Kesler and Burrows have skill, but nowhere near the level of offensive creativity or vision as guys like the Sedins, Kopitar, Krejci, Kane, Hossa, Toews, Justin Williams etc. Sure having the Sedins is nice but they're all on 1 line, the rest of our top-9 is full of powerforwards that can easily be defended against.

I'd rather have a skilled guy like Semin on our team than Doan right now, purely because we already have enough powerforward-types and not enough purely skilled guys. Semin would add a lot of balance to our top-9 and make us much harder to defend.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Semin
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Suddenly, each of our lines has at least 1 good powerforward and a purely skilled guy except for the 3rd line which will be our checking line.

The problem with that though is that Semin is mainly a goal-scorer. Kesler and Booth like to shoot a lot and I just don't know if it will work out with all 3 of them hogging the puck. Semin is also soft too, and we need to upgrade on toughness in our top 6. Maybe a guy like Versteeg from Florida would be a solid addition to add some skill in our top 6, or anyone else that can be snagged through the Luongo trade.

As for Doan, of course his heart will be with Phoenix having played there for all of his career. He'll always have great memories of playing there, but it's time for him to move on and he knows he can be a key piece in winning a cup, he'll be all in no doubt.

#28 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

LOL there is no way Doan is signing here. Everyone just needs to accept it.

Gillis wouldn't even offer Salo a multi-year deal and he has the heart of a Canuck.

Gillis most likely is offering Doan 1 or 2 years at 6 million a piece. Some goof in the east will offer Doan a CBA bending 5+ year contract that probably averages to higher than 6 per year.

This is Doan's last big contract, he will be looking to cash in. If he wanted to win a cup he would have left Phoenix years ago. Don't forget he already has Olympic Gold and he may be content with that.

#29 tigbond

tigbond

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

Bourque didn't seem to mind hoisting the cup in Colorado...

#30 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

maybe Trevor Linden is a better example

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.