38 replies to this topic

#1 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,330 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

To the disappointment of Örnsköldsvik hockey fans and presumably Modo General Manager and former Canucks captain Markus Naslund, the Sedin twins have decided that they probably won't play in the SEL next season in the event of a lockout.

Read past the jump.

That's according to Daniel Sedin who is quoted by Swedish sports media site Nyheter24 as saying that not only will the twins not play in the SEL next season (in the event of a lockout), but they may not play professional hockey at all if there is an NHL lockout. Here's a translation (it's an amalgamation of google translate and some direct translation from Expressen's Jonatan Lindquist):

"We'll go over [to Vancouver]. We have children who go to school so we'll see what happens. It will be clearer when the season is about to start, how long the lockout will be if there is one. But we have decided to go over and be there."

On playing with Modo:

"No. Or, of course it depends a lot on how long the lockout will be, but we will at least start the season over there."

Would they take a full season off if there is a lockout:

"Absolutely, we see no problem with that. We can keep on working out and practicing anyway."

In order to earn a cheque while the owners and the Players Association square off, NHLers have quickly filled up European hockey rosters during NHL work stoppages in the past. Already in the Swedish press,there are breathless reports of Henrik Lundqvist Erik Karlsson and Loui Erikkson teaming up to play for Frölunda, for example.

The twins have racked up a lot of mileage, and in Daniel's case some concerning injuries (a back ailment, in addition to a concussion) over the past few seasons. In addition to the abuse they take from the opposition on a game-to-game basis, both twins are very committed to fitness so it's realistic that some extended down time away from professional hockey could even prove useful to them in the medium term.

On the other hand, part of the reason that Henrik Sedin hasn't missed a regular season game in nearly a decade, is that the twins are well-known for being addicted to playing hockey. By all accounts the twins love to compete, love the grind and are loathe to miss any games. In the event of a lockout, I wouldn't be concerned about them getting rusty because of time-off, but I'm kind of skeptical about their ability to actually step away from the game for that long!

Let's hope this is all for naught, and that the NHL and the NHLPA manage to hammer out a deal at some point in the next couple of months. The twins play the game so beautifully that, for the hockey world to be deprived of their skillful passing exhibitions for an entire season... Well, it seems almost cruel.

http://canucksarmy.c...nt-of-a-lockout

Subbancopy.jpg

#2 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Please!! no lock-out!!!!

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 14 August 2012 - 10:02 AM.

zackass.png

#3 Blueberries

Blueberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Wasnt it reported they were gonna play for MODO?

Edited by LegitCanuck, 14 August 2012 - 10:06 AM.

Posted Image

THANKS TO VINTAGE CANUCK FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!

#4 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,473 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

POPULAR

Good for them .. putting their families first .. and avoiding needless wear and tear .. fresh and healthy sounds like a plus to me ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#5 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

It's a blog quoting a blog. He didn't explicitly say he'd take the year off or not go to MoDo, just that he would be here for the start of the season and would continue to practice. I'm not worried about what two questionable sources made of an off hand quote.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#6 AFrame14

AFrame14

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

Good for them .. putting their families first .. and avoiding needless wear and tear .. fresh and healthy sounds like a plus to me ..

I agree
NUCKS FOR THE CUP

#7 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,454 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Agreed. Their kids are at an age where they probably have friends here and it'd be quite the adjustment to put them into school back in Sweden only to pull them out once the lockout ended.

And there are plenty of opportunities for them to stay in shape here. They can practice with the Giants, maybe run some hockey camps, and of course, they can practice with the rest of the players who will be here as well.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#8 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Posted Image
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#9 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

I see this as a tactic against Bettman, and I hope others follow as well. If lots of the superstars sit out, suddenly games are much more boring when the season finally begins, therefore losing Bettman lots of money because people just aren't interested.

Bettman is a complete idiot. It's sickening that we're about to have 2 lockouts within the last 10 years.
Posted Image

#10 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

im sure they'll practice on a regular basis, it's not like they're going to get all fat and sit around all year.

Posted Image

#11 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

im sure they'll practice on a regular basis, it's not like they're going to get all fat and sit around all year.

#12 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

I see this as a tactic against Bettman, and I hope others follow as well. If lots of the superstars sit out, suddenly games are much more boring when the season finally begins, therefore losing Bettman lots of money because people just aren't interested.

Bettman is a complete idiot. It's sickening that we're about to have 2 lockouts within the last 10 years.

I think you misunderstand. He didn't say they were planning to sit out if there was any lockout, only sit out as long as the lockout ran. If it took up the entire season, they would sit out the entire season.

From what you said, it sounds like you think if they miss 2 months because of lockout they plan to sit out for the rest of the year... I doubt that's the case.

#13 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brj2UkUPjCI

no one does random like south park...

Posted Image

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,726 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

Good idea as they both would need to mend.
Posted Image

#15 Scoobydooby

Scoobydooby

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

no one does random like south park...

... have you never watched Family Guy? Easily most random show ive ever seen.. South Park is nowhere near. Both hillarious though, in their own ways.

Posted Image

#16 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

I think it's a smart move if there is a lockout, Daniel will have more time to fully recover from his concussion (the more time the better) and Henrik could use the rest as well.

#17 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

great now we'll have two Sundin in 2013-14 if there's no hockey in 2012-13. LOL

#18 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

... have you never watched Family Guy? Easily most random show ive ever seen.. South Park is nowhere near. Both hillarious though, in their own ways.

True, South Park has actually made fun of Family Guy for being random a couple of times.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#19 tereKat

tereKat

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

thats a good plan for henrik and daniel. i like how these 2 take care of themselves, and how they love the game.

#20 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

WTF are you talking about? If superstars decide not to play in Europe, why do you think this is of any concern at all to Bettman and the owners? They'll probably be happy if the players don't play - no chance of injury, and no paycheque coming in might quicken a settlement.

#21 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

lock-out... :sick:
Posted Image

#22 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

True, South Park has actually made fun of Family Guy for being random a couple of times.

Osama Bin Laden...

Remember that South Park episode? About Family Guy? lool

Posted Image

#23 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,436 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

I see an opportunity for a smaller market cable sports channel to sign a deal with the SEL to televise games in North America, or even just Canada...NHL'ers on Frolunda and Modo battling it out? I wanna watch, specially if there is no Canucks on tv

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#24 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

Wasnt it reported they were gonna play for MODO?

yes it was
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#25 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

yah, family guy is good. actually come to think of it, al of aeth mcfarlanes shows are awesome! (american dad is my fav!)
south park is the pioneer of crossing the line of absurdity, randomness, and comedy

Posted Image

#26 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

if there is a lockout, say goodbye to any chances of ever hoisting the cup with this core. DON'T SCREW US OVER BETTMAN!!!
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#27 TyrEnkidu

TyrEnkidu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

There wont be a lock out.....so it doesnt matter...they will be playing for the Canucks on their way to lifting the Cup.

photo-49848.jpgTyrEnkiduSignatureGrey1.gifcanucksminisig.gif

#28 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

Watch them train hard and come back faster and stronger than ever. I'd like the lockout for that reason, but please don't have one.
Posted Image

#29 CrousettCanuck

CrousettCanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

All this is, is money, and the greed that comes with it. ???? god damn Bettman and his bull that continually and annually spews out his ass. If there is a lockout that is going to be complete bogus.

GO CANUCKS GO.

#30 Vancity_77

Vancity_77

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Watch them train hard and come back faster and stronger than ever. I'd like the lockout for that reason, but please don't have one.

you can poop in one hand and wish in the other, see which one gets filled first.
We are our own worst enemy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.