60 replies to this topic

#1 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:57 PM

A Surrey soccer association is defending its decision to ban a boy's team from playing because they don't have enough players who are Indo-Canadian.

Debbie Christiansen's 13 year old son was banned from a tournament becasue they had too many "imports". An import is any player who is not of South Asian origin.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-ethnicity.html

#2 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

wow, that's as brutal as this costco nonsense going on.

Let the best players play.

#3 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

Global TV is about to broadcast the report in a few minutes if you want to tune in now.

#4 Brad Marchand

Brad Marchand

Sphincter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

Why do people need to draw racial lines in sport? It's just soccer FFS.
Luc Bourdon & Rick Rypien: Forever Canucks

#5 Canadian

Canadian

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,952 posts

Watched the report at 6. Apparently the league is saying it's the equivalent of the rule in the CFL about Imports/Non-Imports.

CFL = x amount of Canadians.

This soccer league is x = non-whites.

velociti1xc8.jpg

#6 Duodenum

Duodenum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

What in the blue hell?

Let the kids play. Promote indo-canadian involvement all you want but not at the expense of leaving out others.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Tanev

Tanev

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:08 PM

POPULAR

I play in the same league (at the Men's level). While I can see how one could see it as discriminatory, this one league was designed around getting indo-canadian youth active. There are many different soccer leagues in BC, but this particular one was made to be 'strictly' for indo-canadian youth. The 'import' rule was only implemented recently, and it was initially designed for teams who were hard-pressed to field a complete team of indo-canadian players (ex: teams from Kamloops, Kelowna, Prince George, Victoria, etc.).

I don't think the league's intention is to be discriminatory, but it is simply designed to keep indo-canadian youth active. In this day and age, it is hard to run an organization like this because it can be deemed 'racist', although the intentions are pure.

#8 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

I play Men's Open in this league as well and I agree with everything Batman just said...
* perfectly put

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#9 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,733 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

Regardless of its intentions, you can't discriminate like that.
The association should lose its funding if it is coming from a public source.

#10 Tanev

Tanev

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

The majority of the funding for the league comes from various Sikh Temples in BC.

#11 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

It's funded by Gurdwaras (Sikh Temples). The public fields however....

#12 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,733 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:40 PM

The majority of the funding for the league comes from various Sikh Temples in BC.

I'm not going to lie, I had just enough interest in this issue for one post so I am over extending myself on this...

No matter what the association was, there is a very slippery slope waiting to develop on this.

#13 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

I play in the same league (at the Men's level). While I can see how one could see it as discriminatory, this one league was designed around getting indo-canadian youth active. There are many different soccer leagues in BC, but this particular one was made to be 'strictly' for indo-canadian youth. The 'import' rule was only implemented recently, and it was initially designed for teams who were hard-pressed to field a complete team of indo-canadian players (ex: teams from Kamloops, Kelowna, Prince George, Victoria, etc.).

I don't think the league's intention is to be discriminatory, but it is simply designed to keep indo-canadian youth active. In this day and age, it is hard to run an organization like this because it can be deemed 'racist', although the intentions are pure.

What ever it is designed for, that makes it racist, in the MOST literal term. They can play with everyone else, no one is telling them not to. The fact their parents only want them to play with people of the same colour is idiotic.

This dumb integration league exists because it is THEIR parents who are the racists.

#14 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

David Eby of the Civil Liberties on CTV just said is perfectly legal under human rights legislation to have ethnic only sports groups.

And an East Asian spokes person deflected critcism by saying all ethnic groups do it. Like Chinese only sports organizations.

But I suppose white only players would be considered racist.

What crazy world we live in with such double standards.

Edited by DonLever, 14 August 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#15 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

It's funded by Gurdwaras (Sikh Temples). The public fields however....

It's racist. We are Canadians, forget these sub Canadian groups, the time we start designating on a sub level (IE skin colour ,religion, etc) is the time we regress.

#16 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

Imagine a christian church doing this, there would be protests around every church in BC.

#17 Tanev

Tanev

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

David Eby of the Civil Liberties on CTV just said is perfectly legal under human rights legislation to have ethnic only sports groups.

And an East Asian spokes person deflected critcism by saying all ethnic groups do it. Like Chinese only sports organizations.

But I suppose white only players would be considered racist.

What crazy world we live in with such double standards.

Not really..

These leagues are not discriminatory based on colour, they just require the majority of players to be of 'East Asian' and 'South Asian' descent (depending on the league).

There is also Scottish only league in BC (who also allow Irish and Welsh I believe), as well as a Portugese league. I don't find these leagues racist.

There are many players in the indo-canadian league who are of mixed race (my team has someone who is half spanish and half indian). His skin colour is considered 'white', but he is not considered an 'import'.

#18 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

Not really..

These leagues are not discriminatory based on colour, they just require the majority of players to be of 'East Asian' and 'South Asian' descent (depending on the league).

There is also Scottish only league in BC (who also allow Irish and Welsh I believe), as well as a Portugese league. I don't find these leagues racist.

There are many players in the indo-canadian league who are of mixed race (my team has someone who is half spanish and half indian). His skin colour is considered 'white', but he is not considered an 'import'.

Ya, I forgot how many white people come from South Asia and East Asia. It's not being racist...... :picard:

#19 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

It's racist. We are Canadians, forget these sub Canadian groups, the time we start designating on a sub level (IE skin colour ,religion, etc) is the time we regress.

Oh I wasn't disagreeing with you. If anything I was saying that the league is making use of the fields that are publically funded which makes this even more outrageous.

#20 Tanev

Tanev

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

Ya, I forgot how many white people come from South Asia and East Asia. It's not being racist...... :picard:

Not really..

Do you consider these leagues racist as well?

There is a difference between RACE and ETHNCITY.

Race: Each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.

Ethnicity: The fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.

The argument of "If this were done by white people, it would be racist" is actually true. Although if it was based on ethnicity (I.E. Portugese, Scottish, English, etc.) it would not be.

Edited by Ḅatman, 15 August 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#21 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,265 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

Not allowed in the female soccer league. That's sexist!
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#22 The Ghost of Tom Joad

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

Imagine a christian church doing this, there would be protests around every church in BC.

They do actually:

The British Columbia Christian Soccer League, on the other hand, describes in its constitution certain rules that would not pass muster in other provinces. Each team must be affiliated with at least one Christian church, and every team official and player "shall be a regular attender at the church which they represent."

http://www.nationalp...5260/story.html

Do you consider these leagues racist as well?

There is a difference between RACE and ETHNCITY.

Race: Each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics.

Ethnicity: The fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.

The argument of "If this were done by white people, it would be racist" is actually true. Although if it was based on ethnicity (I.E. Portugese, Scottish, English, etc.) it would not be.

This is all kinds of FAIL.

#23 y0shi

y0shi

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

Not allowed in the female soccer league. That's sexist!

And don't forget about field hockey. It's handist against lefties!

CDCGML Posted Image - Tampa Bay Lightning

#24 y0shi

y0shi

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

- Double Post

Edited by y0shi, 15 August 2012 - 12:59 AM.

CDCGML Posted Image - Tampa Bay Lightning

#25 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

If it's a league designed for Indo-Canadians, then it makes sense.
However using that reasoning it means we couldnt get up in arms if somebody makes a leauge for Caucasians and won't let too many Indo-Canadians on their team.

Edited by Jagermeister, 15 August 2012 - 01:22 AM.

Posted Image

#26 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

Where do they get the idea that they must be in an indo-canadian league in order to get exercise and learn to play football?

Even in the poorest places in the world, access to football is readily available (perhaps not always in structured leagues, but kids can certainly play). There really isn't anywhere in the world without the opportunity to play, so why are they so concerned about kids in Canada not being able to play. More kids play football than hockey here, that should give you an idea how accessible it is. The idea that they need a special league for the apparently deprived south asians who would otherwise do what? oh yeah just play anyways, but in a league with white kids.

They just want to keep people of other cultures away from themselves, their kids and their donations. Such a shame that some of these kids have to grow up around that kind of mentality.

Edited by LostViking, 15 August 2012 - 08:02 AM.

Posted Image

#27 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,276 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

If it's a league designed for Indo-Canadians, then it makes sense.
However using that reasoning it means we couldnt get up in arms if somebody makes a leauge for Caucasians and won't let too many Indo-Canadians on their team.

Apples and oranges. From what the league members here are saying, this is not a brown league rejecting a white guy. I hopefully assume that an Egyptian-Canadian player is considered an import.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#28 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,844 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

"imports"

The ironing is delicious.
Posted Image

#29 dbains

dbains

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

They should just go back to India if they have a problem playing with white people.

no1 has responded to this ignorant ass yet??

2 can play this game....

Lockhart, if you were capable of reading. You would see that this league is for INDO CANADIANS and allow a certain amount of "imports" aka Caucasians . So really, if the white ppl have a problem with this, then they should go back to Europe of wherever it is they came from. (now im going to sit back and see how many of you call "racism" with that post, yet no1 responded to Lockhart's post...)

#30 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

They should just go back to India if they have a problem playing with white people.

I find this comment extremely ignorant. You do realize that the majority of young South Asian people playing in this league WERE BORN IN CANADA, do you not? :picard:

On the one hand, I do see how the situation being discussed in the OP could be perceived as reverse discrimination......on the other.......what's the difference if it was a girls only league, or a boys only league or a Brits only league? Would you see a guy playing on the women's Olympic team? Not likely, eh?

Edited for correction

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 16 August 2012 - 09:21 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.