The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Doan Meta-Thread v2.0

LOL at the idea that more people could survive in the natural world than any other time in history. Even if you disregard inflation in the world's population, that's still not true.

But hey, at least we're talking about something more interesting than Doan or Luongo!

What statistical evidence shows this? Or are you just trying to sound well informed?

If I am hearing you correctly, I believe you are referring to the Flynn Effect; the notion that each generation is smarter than the previous one. However, studies out of Duke University actually show that while scores do in fact indicate in increase in IQ scores, this increase is only present in the far right segment of the bell curve. The top 5% are scoring better. In other words, the world's brightest are getting brighter. This should come as no surprise as the world is becoming more technologically advanced. Surgeons can perform procedures now that could only be dreamed of 20-30 years ago. However, there is absolutely no evidence that society as a whole gets smarter with each passing generation.

Take a look at what the current generation is infatuated with. We live in a world where figures like Nicki Minaj and One Direction are not only idolized, but also viewed as role models. Shows like Jersey Show are considered entertainment, Twilight books are popular literature, and art consists of an exhibit of a toilet in a museum. It is a sad statement on the current generation.

Take a moment to look back at previous generations. Bach and Mozart created symphonies of perfection. Entertainment consisted of playwrites such as Shakespeare. Dickens wrote timeless masterpieces. Oh yeah, and guys like Michaelangelo painted the ceilings of chapels. Show me ANYONE in the current generation that can hold a candle to these guys. And you claim that each generation gets smarter.......HA!

I am not trying to sound uppity, and I apoligise if this is how I am coming across. But the current generation is a sad statement on the way mankind is headed. To say that society is getting smarter is comical. I know I have given extreme examples of excellence from previous generations, but I believe it is necessary to prove my point.

Also, calling someone a dumba** is rather counter productive to your argument, wouldn't you say?

People are not any more capable of being smart today, any more than they were 2000 years ago. Evolution does NOT work that quickly. People are generally smarter today, because of.... time. Every generation has the benefit of the knowledge of the previous one. The knowledge and the advancement. You dont go from building a wooden boat to landing on the moon in one generation. It takes the breakthroughs of every generation in between, and the brilliant individuals within each generation to advance.

However, history also shows that civilization grows, to a point, then has a bubble burst. The mongols, romans, incas etc were the peak of their time. For whatever reason, the civilization collapses, and then rebuilds itself bigger and better.

Health wise, however, history shows that every generation has lived longer, based again on the knowledge and advancements from the previous generation.

Scientist are now concerned that the current young generation is going to buck that trend. In the last 100 year or so people have lived longer and longer consistently due to advancement in medical science.

Now though, you have people born in the 90's who are fatter and more sedentary than ANY time in human history, and doctors / scientist are thinking that this generation is going to live shorter. Until this point you had advancement in medicine, while still having a generally physically active society. Not so for the modern generation.

Is this the start of the current civilizations "bubble burst" ? In a few more generations, will we be the civilation from WALL-E?

And if this generation is truly smarter than the last, they should see this.

Access to knowledge is greater now than ever before, being able to look up info and then rehashing it is a far cry from being intelligent IMO.

What is the measure of "smartness" ?

IQ test certainly are directed and constructed to current standards, today few would do well in a mock-up of a 1st century test I'd assume. IQ test are very deceiving indeed and certainly skewed toward western standards.

Folks do not need to know about many mundane daily feats of survival and depending on whatever scale you want to employ one could argue ancient civilizations were vastly superior to today’s society in certain regards and vice versa.

The human brain hasn't changed that much, the capacity to learn is most likely the same as it was eons ago; it's the collective human experience that has moved the starting point further along.

And comparing generational "smartness" is absurd and I can only imagine such thought spewing out of young brash minds; I certainly remember the days when I thought the older generation just doesn't have a clue. I truly was the ignorant one.

I am guessing but with a looming lockout maybe the likely owner who had trouble coming up with the money to buy the team in the 1st place does not want to shell out a possible good chunk of cash as a signing bonus.

Doan would be well aware of the stickyness of the negotiations and may think that this could be a 1 or 2 year lockout and with him being 36 in a couple months he would want a rather big signing bonus because this is it for him and if there is a lockout for a lengthy period of time his value will be way down.

The looming lockout is the only reason why we have a shot at him, but if there is a year lockout or more, would he have much left in the tank when they resume playing. Taking a year or 2 off at that age would be tough.

Archived