The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Doan Meta-Thread v2.0

Those points aren't something you get for granted. You don't get more capacity to retain knowledge than your dad just because....what...you're the "new generation"? You said it yourself in your post: Human brain is a lot similar to a muscle. If you don't use it often, you become more stupid. What makes you think the new generation will be working their brains harder?

Your next point is questionable for the same reason. I don't know how old you are, but if you consider yourself to be one of those in that "TNG group", then you might qualify to be the evidence to show that group isn't any better in analyzing or reasoning anything.

You're assuming I'm looking at one generation for the changes. While the differences are there, they are small and not as noticeable, mainly because the age difference. A kid who is 16 may be a lot smarter than his dad was at that age, but not when he's 16, and his dad is 40.

You have to look at multiple generations to see a difference (the middle ages example). Every generation has been becoming smarter because they have access to the knowledge and problem solving techniques of the previous generation (through language). The new generation (generally not every individual) brains are more efficient because they have that access. I doubt we have peaked as a species conveniently at your and my generation (I'm 26 BTW).

The only good argument against that seems to be that art (paintings, music etc.) isn't what it used to be (mozart etc.), but art is subjective anyways, and there's no way to objectively judge it IMO.

Those points aren't something you get for granted. You don't get more capacity to retain knowledge than your dad just because....what...you're the "new generation"? You said it yourself in your post: Human brain is a lot similar to a muscle. If you don't use it often, you become more stupid. What makes you think the new generation will be working their brains harder?

Your next point is questionable for the same reason. I don't know how old you are, but if you consider yourself to be one of those in that "TNG group", then you might qualify to be the evidence to show that group isn't any better in analyzing or reasoning anything.

Sorry couldn't find "unknowns" post re: people better at survival without depending on others point.....:

Really?

Most people couldn't get around the block without google map let alone remembering where an edible plant might grow upon discovery or the migration route of an animal food source....never mind our wasteful tendencies....

Dead in days.....

He'll sign within the next 2 weeks. His family has to settle in for the school year and no way is he going to risk a year off and then look for a deal heading into the new CBA. He'll want a signing bonus up front to mitigate the risk of a lock-out and a 3-5 year deal. That way, even if he burns a year of his contract during the lockout, he is paid and has the remaining contract to play under.

IMHO

Is it okay to say now, that as good as Doan is, and as much as I like him, its not really good business to bring in an older player for multiple years with a large cap hit. the 4 year rumour is what has me thinking we should look elsewhere for a top six winger, the one hole we have always had remains.....

Archived