The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

Yes...but if they are really that stupid - how on earth can they help science anyways? ;)

Again, I don't see how they are slowing down science - if all it takes is for some stupid people to be able to do that...well...then science isn't as smart as I thought it was.

Yes...but if they are really that stupid - how on earth can they help science anyways?   ;)

Again, I don't see how they are slowing down science - if all it takes is for some stupid people to be able to do that...well...then science isn't as smart as I thought it was.

I listened to the entire thing. And if you mean by "even compete with Aron", you really mean "won't let him speak".

Aron has a few logical fallacies he is overlooking.

1) What is his method of certainty? How does he reproduce empirical evidence for his wife? There are some instances where you have fights with your spouse in which typical evidences of love are completely absent though it is widely accepted that you still love your spouse. There is no consistency in the method of certainty.

2) How can Aron assert truth on someone else's behalf? For example, how can I ever say to Sharpshooter that he will ONE DAY FOR SURE know that God exists? I cannot. Nor can Sharpshooter say to me "you can't know what you know".

3) Aron claims he is atheist and NOT agnostic, but how can he do that? It is philosophically impossible to be atheist for reason of this fact alone, you cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that God DOES NOT exist. It's impossible. Richard Dawkins himself realizes this too and is a self proclaimed agnostic. I'l repeat again, it is a philosophical impossibility to be a true atheist because it is impossible to fully disprove God.

How can you discuss the origins of humanity with someone who believes that the earth was created 6000 years ago ? Try to tell a catholic that the story of Jesus is actually a 3000 year older plagiarism from an Egyptian story ? Jesus in literal translation means HORUS or the SUN. The sun God was AMEN RA. Does the phrase Amen ring a bell to anyone ? We all came from the sun in this solar system so yeah we are all the sons and daughters of God. Pretty straight forward conclusion by man but religion wants to cast doubt in humanity and their ability to think for themselves. That way the sheep(us) can be easily manipulated into anything by simply instilling a fear based faith systems.

All that being said true, pure or blind faith cannot be swayed in anyone by numbers and stats. That is not what faith is. My personal faith is in humanity and it's ability to persevere. In time proven truths will exist between all faiths and sciences. Maybe then we can be on the same page globally teaching benevolence, respect and equality instead of preaching nationalism, profit and discrimination.

Why limit belief in god to such a fundie branch of believers who claim the world is only 6000 years old? MANY believers do not think that and the Hebrews certainly never believed that. Young earth creationism is a relatively new belief. Can that co-exist with science? Obviously not, but let's not limit religion or belief in a God to such foolish beliefs like that.

Science doesn't fight religion. It ignores it. (Right?)

However, those with an antitheistic agenda would use science to crucify religion.

The response from theists is usually, well, science can't disprove ghosts, ESP, visions, historical miracles, etc. or anything supernatural, so how can it disprove God, let lone religion?

The result is neverending debate from two sides with an unyielding agenda.

The problem with using science to disprove religion is that it is based on empiricism. Experience, evidence and sensory perception can only take the human mind so far. You can't use science to disprove what it cannot possibly reach.

While religion might be archaic, at least it attempts to explain the unexplainable, whereas those things are out of science's reach, and that's why science and religion are mutually exclusive.

The science vs. religion debate is folly, since by definition the sides can never come together. Still, i can see progress being made when science and religion do work together. It would be nice if scientists were able to open their minds a bit and if religious people realized that some of their archaic beliefs aren't even worth having.

Well science and belief in a god answer to different question. Science attempts to answer the "how" questions and religion or belief in a god attempts to answer the "why" questions. As long as they stay in within their fields and don't attempt to try answer things that by their nature they can't then I see no reason why the two can't coexist.

Science doesn't fight religion. It ignores it. (Right?)

However, those with an antitheistic agenda would use science to crucify religion.

The response from theists is usually, well, science can't disprove ghosts, ESP, visions, historical miracles, etc. or anything supernatural, so how can it disprove God, let lone religion?

The result is neverending debate from two sides with an unyielding agenda.

The problem with using science to disprove religion is that it is based on empiricism. Experience, evidence and sensory perception can only take the human mind so far. You can't use science to disprove what it cannot possibly reach.

While religion might be archaic, at least it attempts to explain the unexplainable, whereas those things are out of science's reach, and that's why science and religion are mutually exclusive.

The science vs. religion debate is folly, since by definition the sides can never come together. Still, i can see progress being made when science and religion do work together. It would be nice if scientists were able to open their minds a bit and if religious people realized that some of their archaic beliefs aren't even worth having.

Well science and belief in a god answer to different question. Science attempts to answer the "how" questions and religion or belief in a god attempts to answer the "why" questions. As long as they stay in within their fields and don't attempt to try answer things that by their nature they can't then I see no reason why the two can't coexist.

Archived