The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Top Defenceman?

RyanKeslord17

We have one extra left handed D-man in Ballard, and short one right handed d-man. Garrison, Edler and Hamhuis should be on the left side. Bieksa, Tanev and x for the right.

If we can find an NHL ready prospect to trade for Ballard that's a right-handed d-man we'd be set. If it could fit Edmonton's budget I'd love to trade Ballard or Raymond to Edmonton for Teubert, and if needed throw in Sauve.

Or I'm open to suggestions of another right-handed NHL ready prospect.

Now that MG signed Garrison, I feel our D is pretty solid. The real place where we could use an upgrade is up front. It would be very nice to add a Top 6 forward to round out the 2nd line. Shane Doan would be good, or someone else (hopefully someone with good vision) through a Luongo trade. The most important need is 3rd line centre, though.

Why do most Canuck fans think that we need to acquire a top tier dman when we have TWO already? Alex Edler and Dan Hamhuis. We are actually better of than LA's D or CHI's D. In my opinion, Alex Edler is definitely comparable to Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith, Ryan Suter, and so on. Of course, there are those outstanding Defenceman like Weber, but look at Nashvilles offense, nothing. Edler and Hamhuis are both top of the line Defenceman IMO and they have every chance to win a cup with the Canucks. We didn't lose the SCF because we had no defence. Well, technically yes, but Hamhuis was injured. We lost because our offense didn't come to play when we needed it most. 8 goals in 7 games won't win you anything. Hamhuis and Edler both have a chance at a Norris trophy, not being a homer.

I can't wait to see what a rested group of Canucks do this year, and maybe they will get more time to rest with a later start to the year. A healthy Edler along with Garrison is going to be absolutely lethal, same with Hamhuis and Bieksa. We are the most previledged team to have TWO Top 1 Defenceman.

Go Canucks Go :towel:

edler = to doughty and keith? give your head a shake man. did you not watch his train wreck performance in this years early exit from the playoffs?

until this team gets a norris calibre d man who can control the flow of the game there will be no cup for this franchise.

it's no coincidence that this team has gone 42 years without a cup and 42 years without a norris calibre d man.

As others have noted, our D core is solid, but comparing Edler to Keith or Doughty is a bit hilarious.

That's not to say that Edler can't get to that level, because he certainly has the potential and the tools. That being said, he has not reached that level yet. He needs to mature defensively and gain a lot more consistency to reach the upper echelon of defensemen in the NHL. Norris-calibre defensemen usually play 25-30 minutes per game in big situations, and Edler currently has not been able to do that.

Hopefully he can, because the rest of our D corps is solid. The only thing it lacks is size, really, because the quality is there.

I'm fairly happy with our defense overall, but I disagree that we have anyone who's at the level of Doughty or Keith.

Eddie has the potential to be close to that level, but he really needs to shore up the mental aspect of his game. He actually commits more blunders than Bieksa, but people (for the most part) give him a pass, because his potential ceiling is much higher than Juice's.

How many times over the years have we seen a two week stretch where Edler is laying on bone-crushing checks every night, only to watch that physicality disappear over the following fortnight.

Hopefully, this upcoming season, if there is one, (touches wood) will be the season Edler puts it all together.

Yes we do. Hamhuis was tenth with 21 voting points and Edler 15th with 4 points. Oh,and the winner got 1,069 points. Edler sure showed against LA last year that there is not much difference between him and Doughty- well maybe there is a little bit.

Goodness, I'm sick of people writing Edler off just because of a crappy 5 game series. He's played 386 games and he'll probably player more than 500 more and people rate how good he is off 5 stinkin' little games? Please.

Before I state this, I think our current D core is fine.

The reason most people think we need a top superstar D man is if you look at the last Stanley Cup champions, they all had 1.

LA 2012 - Doughty. Yeah most people dislike him, but he was unbelievable in the playoffs and definitely was a reason they won.

Boston 2011 - Chara. It's Chara. And yes I hate him as much as the rest of you.

Chicago 2010 - Keith. Met him, he was actually pretty funny and didn't trash the Canucks. After the elbow on Daniel last year though, lost all respect. Still doesn't take away how great he was that year.

Pittsburgh 2009 - Letang. Everyone praises him for his offense, but his defense is just as good.

Detroit 2008 - Lidstrom. No comment.

Anaheim 2007 - Pronger/Niedermayer. Again, everyone knows how awesome they are. Honourable mention to Aaron Rome.

Carolina 2006 - This is literally the one team that sticks out not having a top D man. They had an average D core, but no superstar. That being said, Ward literally carried this team. Carolina owes this cup to Cam Ward.

Some people think Edler is a "superstar" D man, but it's incorrect. He did put up 49 points last year, which is an amazing feat. The problem is he can sometimes be very inconsistent. Not even throughout the season, but look no further than the series vs LA, I don't really need to explain how he played.

That being said Edler is pretty close to peaking and within 2 years I would say he'll be pretty much one of the best 2 way D men in the league.

edler = to doughty and keith? give your head a shake man. did you not watch his train wreck performance in this years early exit from the playoffs?

until this team gets a norris calibre d man who can control the flow of the game there will be no cup for this franchise.

it's no coincidence that this team has gone 42 years without a cup and 42 years without a norris calibre d man.

Our best defenseman on the team is Hamhuis, then Edler. Edler still can step it up another notch and play like he did in the 2011 playoffs. But man Hamhuis is our best. Put up nearly 40pts last year and was shutting down top players.

Many of you don't look at +/- much, but Hamhuis had the 2nd best plus minus among defensemen at +29, only behind Chara!! And that is with playing against all the top players and lines in the NHL.

That says a lot about how much he means to the Canucks and who our best defenseman is.

Archived