The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex vs Alex

Makaramel MacKhiato

Which Alex would you take  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In this purely hypothetical situation I would go with Burrows. As much as Edler is a better player, Burrows is a player integral to our team. He can play on every one of our lines, a great team player, and has been a cornerstone of our team. Also, I don't underestimate the difficulty of acquiring a player like him. He may appear as just another grinder, but he is a player that is more than that. He has scored a lot of goals, that pretty much any other grinder would be incapable of. Most of his goals were the result of the Sedins, but that doesn't discount the experience he gained from that type of success. That makes him one of the most valuable grinders in the league.

So, the point here is that to acquire a player like him from another team would be next to impossible without getting shirked in a deal. While Edler is a (currently borderline) all star defenseman, and possible to gain through free agency. Many teams struggling with cap hits will have to walk from a blooming defenseman looking for a payday, while a player like Burrows will be much easier for them to retain.

In this purely hypothetical situation I would go with Burrows. As much as Edler is a better player, Burrows is a player integral to our team. He can play on every one of our lines, a great team player, and has been a cornerstone of our team. Also, I don't underestimate the difficulty of acquiring a player like him. He may appear as just another grinder, but he is a player that is more than that. He has scored a lot of goals, that pretty much any other grinder would be incapable of. Most of his goals were the result of the Sedins, but that doesn't discount the experience he gained from that type of success. That makes him one of the most valuable grinders in the league.

So, the point here is that to acquire a player like him from another team would be next to impossible without getting shirked in a deal. While Edler is a (currently borderline) all star defenseman, and possible to gain through free agency. Many teams struggling with cap hits will have to walk from a blooming defenseman looking for a payday, while a player like Burrows will be much easier for them to retain.

It's funny how many people seem to think Burrows is more loyal and Edler is more likely to pull an Ehrhoff. These guys need to realize that Edler is #23 because our scout gave him a chance. You don't wear a number with that level of sentimentality on your back unless you're loyal as all hell to the team.

Our top 6 is already quite weak, and remember how long it took us to find a player who could score consistently with the Sedins? Yeah, I'd rather take someone who has shown chemistry with the Sedins for 3 years, than take the risk and put the Sedins with someone they had temporary chemistry with. Not to mention clutch scoring....

Meanwhile, if we lose Edler, although we also lose a Norris Trophy Candidate, I feel that Ballard can step in if given the chance

And like the above poster said, I think it would be better to ship off Booth if we had to lose either Burrows or Edler

This should be a landslide for Edler, all those who thinks Burrows is more important to our team have to be joking.

Burr is not only getting older and is a couple of seasons past his prime, but he is very expendable. We have guys who can fill in his spot with ease - throw Booth, Hansen, Kassian, Higgins, Lapierre or honestly just about any other forward on our top line with the Sedins and they will score 20-30 goals as well.

As for penalty killing, we not only still have Kesler, Hansen and Malhotra up front as our best guys, but Higgins, Raymond and Lapierre are very underated when it comes to the PK. It will not take much of a hit without him there.

On the flipside, if the Vancouver Canucks lose a 50-point, big hitting and 23 minute defenceman in Edler they are toast. We don't have anywhere near as much depth on the blueline, and would rely on Bieksa for all of our offence from the blueline. Losing Edler means Ballard has to play 20+ minutes in our top-4 which I think no one is comfortable with, and our top pairing would have to log some heavy minutes.

Plus, Edler has a much brighter future. He is already a far better defenceman than Burrows is a winger anyway.

Love them both. Both still have more to give. But I would say Edler. I mean it seems to be harder to develop or even have a good d-man like he is. Burrows, as good as he is, could/can be replaced by another. I mean Kassian could potentially be as good as Burrows with the Sedins in the future.

Nonetheless I don't imagine Burrows going after a huge contract, sure a pay rise, but he is loyal guy and will take less money to stay on the team. Here's hoping they both sign for 3-5 years at $4M ;)

Archived