The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sons Of Anarchy - Season 5 Starts September 11th 8pm

AriGold

I got superchanell so I was able to watch the finale last night...so good

I watched SoA over the course of a few weeks, but I got really sick of the ridiculous baby drama less than half way through this season and stopped watching. Is it resolved in any way? If his wife and mother are both still around, I don't think I'll ever bother with the show again.

I watched SoA over the course of a few weeks, but I got really sick of the ridiculous baby drama less than half way through this season and stopped watching. Is it resolved in any way? If his wife and mother are both still around, I don't think I'll ever bother with the show again.

lets just say its solved in a big way

Okay, was not aware this thread existed, lol. Would've been a lot easier to post what I wanted here, instead of in the status updates section. I'm just going to copy and paste what I said, and then expand on it with spoilers.

So be forewarned about Spoilers appearing below. Don't continue reading unless you've watched up to the season finale.

Anyways, what I was talking about in my status update was that Tara's death was a rip off if the exact pattern they pulled with Donna in season 1. Both were predictable, but Tara's inevitably a lot more so, because you could see the pattern from Donna's death a second time, and identify where it's leading a lot quicker.

It lost its impact, because they ended up ripping off themselves. The characters follow the same pattern of emotion, betrayal/trust, and rely on the exact same kind of miscommunications, with the "Oh, you're too late to resolve the miscommunication, this innocent person is now dead." The helplessness was palpable the first time. The second time I'm just waiting for their story to just end.

That's what my argument was. Donna's death was one of the sadder things I'd seen on a TV, since probably ever. I could appreciate the quality of the writing, and what lead to that ultimate situation. Seeing Donna's death a second time over like this doesn't effect me in the same way.

Also, that this show tries way to hard to send drama flying through the screen. It's kind of like the opposite of the walking dead, where that show sucks because nothing happens for hours of screen-time at a time. Except unlike that really crapty show, Sons is great a majority of the time, and was especially so in it's earlier seasons. They need more time to let thing sink in, and by that I mean slowing down events on a week to week basis to let things sink in, rather than just throwing as much crap as possible at the viewer, and making them contemplate it for a year.

Kurt Sutter is a real asshat on that writing front, where it's so easy to trace which specific decisions were all his. There were a lot of good individual stories and episodes, but a lot of the ongoing events get dragged down by these defining moments and overarching stories that he keeps putting forward. He had his own character live so incredibly past his due date, that he just began to drag the show down with his presence. The same thing is happening with his wife, and her character of Gemma. She has so long lived past her usefulness to the story. She exists not for the sake of cheap drama, and generating cheap emotion.

Also, with Tara dead, the show's entire dynamic shifts further into this wrong direction, and now it becomes an entire show about this biker gang, with no one to ground the characters, and give the show space to breathe. It's going to be all drama, all the time, for as long as the series continues to exist.

I love Shakespeare, and I love Shakespearean tragedies in particular, but this show is written in the very self satisfying manner, and Kurt Sutter really needs to get over himself. This show has in the past shown itself to be beyond the trappings of cheap emotion that other shows sink to, but after this season, it's really past the point of no return.

Okay, was not aware this thread existed, lol. Would've been a lot easier to post what I wanted here, instead of in the status updates section. I'm just going to copy and paste what I said, and then expand on it with spoilers.

So be forewarned about Spoilers appearing below. Don't continue reading unless you've watched up to the season finale.

Anyways, what I was talking about in my status update was that Tara's death was a rip off if the exact pattern they pulled with Donna in season 1. Both were predictable, but Tara's inevitably a lot more so, because you could see the pattern from Donna's death a second time, and identify where it's leading a lot quicker.

It lost its impact, because they ended up ripping off themselves. The characters follow the same pattern of emotion, betrayal/trust, and rely on the exact same kind of miscommunications, with the "Oh, you're too late to resolve the miscommunication, this innocent person is now dead." The helplessness was palpable the first time. The second time I'm just waiting for their story to just end.

That's what my argument was. Donna's death was one of the sadder things I'd seen on a TV, since probably ever. I could appreciate the quality of the writing, and what lead to that ultimate situation. Seeing Donna's death a second time over like this doesn't effect me in the same way.

Also, that this show tries way to hard to send drama flying through the screen. It's kind of like the opposite of the walking dead, where that show sucks because nothing happens for hours of screen-time at a time. Except unlike that really crapty show, Sons is great a majority of the time, and was especially so in it's earlier seasons. They need more time to let thing sink in, and by that I mean slowing down events on a week to week basis to let things sink in, rather than just throwing as much crap as possible at the viewer, and making them contemplate it for a year.

Kurt Sutter is a real asshat on that writing front, where it's so easy to trace which specific decisions were all his. There were a lot of good individual stories and episodes, but a lot of the ongoing events get dragged down by these defining moments and overarching stories that he keeps putting forward. He had his own character live so incredibly past his due date, that he just began to drag the show down with his presence. The same thing is happening with his wife, and her character of Gemma. She has so long lived past her usefulness to the story. She exists not for the sake of cheap drama, and generating cheap emotion.

Also, with Tara dead, the show's entire dynamic shifts further into this wrong direction, and now it becomes an entire show about this biker gang, with no one to ground the characters, and give the show space to breathe. It's going to be all drama, all the time, for as long as the series continues to exist.

I love Shakespeare, and I love Shakespearean tragedies in particular, but this show is written in the very self satisfying manner, and Kurt Sutter really needs to get over himself. This show has in the past shown itself to be beyond the trappings of cheap emotion that other shows sink to, but after this season, it's really past the point of no return.

I just read about the conclusion to the baby drama and confirmed that I'm done with the show. The pattern you outlined seems to be an ongoing theme for the show. To the point it's consistently predictable. The information never seems to reach anyone in time, but more than that nobody stops to think about their actions. It's just doing, because they're criminals and criminals always just do bad crap never stopping to consider if they're doing the right thing.

I don't know what I think about the direction of the show. One the one hand, Gemma has been such a focal point of the show it wouldn't be the same without her, on the other Tara gave the show more dimensions that will probably be lacking in the future.

Opie was the best character on the show, with his loving family and struggling to keep it all together. Seems like they figured the theme is better suited to the main character.

The pattern you outlined seems to be an ongoing theme for the show. To the point it's consistently predictable.

I watched the first ... 4 seasons or so? Forget exactly. But it always seemed like professional wrestling to me. They just align certain gangs or individual characters together, and you as the viewer are basically told to cheer for them, and oh hate that other guy over there cause he did something, then a few weeks later they kind of shake up the pieces again and draw a name out of a hat or something, and it's time to cheer for/hate on that guy.

It all just felt so pointless after awhile. Although the show did have some potential early, and some of the plots were interesting.

The other thing that really made me laugh at Sons was their casting. They kept introducing temporary characters and the actors were always way better than the regulars. It was like they were trying to highlight the limited range of their own actors. Weird.

What's everybody's thoughts on Juice's actions?

I wasn't quite sure what to take of it... Did he shoot the sheriff and save Gemma to prove himself, yet again, to Jax and the club? Or is it an act of revenge or a first step towards turning on the club? Or maybe he just really like Gemma.

I don't know. The whole thing was a little over the top.

Very well said, my friend.

It tried so hard to be extreme and yet it was so unenecessary for them to do that with Tara. The shock effect probably worked for many last night, but really didn't for me. Crap ending to a MEH season for sure.

The season was alright I guess. I really thought they were going to touch on the Nero/Jax thing more. When Nero found out about what Juice told him Jax made him do.

Just the ending of the 2nd to last episode where Nero has his hand on Jax back with the thoughts of showing sympathy for him and at the same he wants to hurt him for what he did. I really thought that was a cliffhanger but then in the finale nothing came of it.

I thought the Tara thing was unnecessary too. I mean.....Gemma beating up Tera thinking she ratted I can understand. Pulling the tongs out of nowhere while drowning her was just over the top.

One of my buddies hasn't even watched the show since Opie died, because that pissed him off to a grand extent. He hasn't missed a whole lot to be honest.

It's still a great show, and I'll continue watching but a lot of it is meaningless drama.

The season was alright I guess. I really thought they were going to touch on the Nero/Jax thing more. When Nero found out about what Juice told him Jax made him do.

Just the ending of the 2nd to last episode where Nero has his hand on Jax back with the thoughts of showing sympathy for him and at the same he wants to hurt him for what he did. I really thought that was a cliffhanger but then in the finale nothing came of it.

I thought the Tara thing was unnecessary too. I mean.....Gemma beating up Tera thinking she ratted I can understand. Pulling the tongs out of nowhere while drowning her was just over the top.

One of my buddies hasn't even watched the show since Opie died, because that pissed him off to a grand extent. He hasn't missed a whole lot to be honest.

It's still a great show, and I'll continue watching but a lot of it is meaningless drama.

Gemma was in a dark state of mind. Her being wasted and pissed off about not being able to ever see her grandsons again because of the woman whom she thinks is responsible for not only ratting out the club, but also putting her son in jail for life.This causes her to go off the deep end and murder Tara. Oh, also Gemma is a crazy bitch which might have something to do with it.

Opies death was horrifying, i don't know if anyone expected it, but this show is full of twists and surprises which is what keeps me coming back for more.

Also i'll correct you, pretty much all of it is drama, with quite a bit of violence. For these characters it's not meaningless though, it's just the life they live. Sit back and enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived