The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calling in sick to work

key2thecup

It's not like you plan illness....it happens. The only reason to feel guilty is if you make it a habit to miss work. But, for legitimate illness - no.

I was on the last Friday of vacation once when my Mom collapsed at work and was rushed to ER (brain aneurysm). They had to operate on the weekend and the surgeon was straight with us - telling us she had to have the surgery for any chance of survival, but it was 50/50 she'd make it. She did, but suffered a stroke during the operation.

I called in Monday morning after spending the entire weekend, sleepless, at St. Pauls Hospital. My boss' response? "Great, you've just finished 2 weeks of holidays and I need you back here". What a tool...thanks for caring, boss.

I haven't had a sick day in about four years. We are slow sometimes though, so I get time off.

To the OP, don't worry about it bud. If the boss wants to be a jerk about it, find another job. If you're having a tough time finding work, tough it out.

Easy! :)

P.s. If your boss is breaking the law, sue his/her ass.

It's not like you plan illness....it happens. The only reason to feel guilty is if you make it a habit to miss work. But, for legitimate illness - no.

I was on the last Friday of vacation once when my Mom collapsed at work and was rushed to ER (brain aneurysm). They had to operate on the weekend and the surgeon was straight with us - telling us she had to have the surgery for any chance of survival, but it was 50/50 she'd make it. She did, but suffered a stroke during the operation.

I called in Monday morning after spending the entire weekend, sleepless, at St. Pauls Hospital. My boss' response? "Great, you've just finished 2 weeks of holidays and I need you back here". What a tool...thanks for caring, boss.

It all depends upon the terms of your employer's employment policy manual and/or the contract you signed. If you bank days, and then get sick, that benefit is your right. If they dismiss you for exercising your benefits, you need to file a labour relations complaint for breach of contract.

By the way, there is no such thing as at will employment in Canada. If you employer is going to seperate you, you are due a severance, usually two weeks of employment or more, depending upon your years of employment there.

Archived