The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Bieber fans vandalize Rick Rypien memorial

Alchemy Time

Plain and simple she should have apologized and volunteered to fix her mistake. She hasn't to this point and has done nothing but hide from the problem. You don't run from your mistakes, you sack the frack up and face it head on. Hopefully people will let it be and she will come to realize that she should rectify her mistake, as well as any others that did as she did.

Stawns, it doesn't matter what you believe about the validity of the pillar as a memorial to the late Rypien to be. All that matters is that I significant amount of people have been offended by her and other "Belieber's" actions. Of course the death threats, wishing her to die, etc. is too far past the line, but I don't exactly see a crapload of people here condoning that crap - anyone who does is just as immature as she is. This isn't that difficult a situation for her to diffuse if she just grew the frack up and took responsibility for her actions, no matter how inconsequential you believe them to be.

image-2-for-3am-gallery-331147708.jpg

This goes beyond Bieber... this clearly originates from hatred for the Canucks from Leafs nation...

But seriously, who knows if she was aware of the meaning that has been assigned to that space, or whether there was any intent at all?

Should probably give our heads a shake before casting stones.

A collective mind-check is in order here.

That's absolutely ridiculous. Anyone writing these things on her Twitter account need to consider taking their own advice. What a joke. Get over it, there's a few chicken scratches left on those walls at the most.

As if I needed any more evidence to show that "true Canuck fans" (as opposed to us normal Canuck fans) are easily the most petty minded, hateful, mean spirited and, yes, emotionally deranged fans in all of North American pro sports. I have to ask all of the completely moronic imbeciles that posted threats and curses on both Twitter and this message board to this poor girl this one very important question: Do you REALLY think she did this with ANY knowledge that this particular concrete pillar was of any real importance to anybody in particular? There is absolutely NO indication that this graffitti-ed pillar is anything other than that; no plaque or sign saying that it is a spot commemorating Rick Rypien (who, I am sure would be horrified at this blizzard of pure hate towards a young woman) and, no, this is not anywhere near an "official" or "public" memorial; it is simply a spot where fans of Ripper decided that there would be a memorial for him there and Allah help the poor fool who messes with it. Doesn't anybody here see the parallel between this furor and the furor that has consumed the whole Middle East with regard to a silly video that allegedly " disrespects the prophet"? The very similar intolerance that has erupted over this perceived slight is very familiar to this observer. Anybody who sees the photo of how the "memorial" looks today could be forgiven if they failed to note its significance to "true Canuck fans" (and a huge "boo" to all the media outlets like the Globe and Mail that posted pictures of said "memorial" from over a year ago as opposed to what it looks like today just to stir the pot; you people are scum. It's jerks like you who helped set the table for the big playoff riot which, of course, made for a great "story" didn't it?). These morons fail to understand that there are some people out there who may have never heard of a guy who played a whole 119 games in the NHL scoring a whopping 9 goals in the process while having as his major career achievement an attack on a fan while being kicked out of a game for being too much of a goon (which earned him a hefty suspension and essentially derailed his "career" for good). Which is exactly what Rypien was; the epitome of the kind of player that the NHL is trying to rid itself of.This observation is not to disrespect the man himself who apparently had a lot of problems but as a hockey player he was all but useless; if he hadn't have spent his career with the Canuck he would be considered a waste of guts by everybody here. However a band of self appointed myth makers have decided that he was the hockey equivalent of St. Francis of Assisi and since this heretic woman has seen fit to blaspheme against the shrine that "true Canuck fans" have erected in His name (illegally, I might point out for the dorks that suggested that the police visit her house) they (and waaaay too many of their ilk) have decided to make this poor girl's life hell just out of sheer bloody mindedness. There are literally dozens of posts here that would be ban-worthy if I were a moderator on this board but, since Rypien is a folk hero here nobody will do anything to mitigate the damage done to the image of the Canuck fan base which is unfortunate. Only a small number of Canuck fans feel the way that the noisy few do; at least I like to think so. Of course the fact that all the video of the main principals of the riot that I have seen lately has shown that the absolute worst offenders in THAT catastrophe were, naturally, wearing Canuck gear.

"Proudly" I suspect, "true Canuck fans" to the end. This whole episode makes me sick and it should make all of the people reading this sick too. "True Canuck fans" excluded, of course.

P.S. I will add once again that if the Ripper had been a career Boston Bruin and that if this had happened at a Bieber concert in Boston at a "memorial" set up by Bruin fans that there would have been much hooting and applause here by many of the same people that are crying foul over this terrible desecration of a holy site. But to expect anything but hypocricy from this crowd is to expect too much. For these cretins I can only hope that the lockout lasts forever.

P.P.S. This incident also illuminates the need for a proper memorial for Rick somewhere within the arena itself, even if it is only a large framed picture with a plaque or something of that sort near the entrance. Luc Bourdon and Pavol Demitra would also be worthy of such treatment. All died during their careers in the prime of their lives so IMHO this would be appropriate. Impromptu memorials, be they roadside ones for traffic fatalities (ask any cop; they HATE them) of fallen hockey stars only cause problems, especially if they are not clearly defined as such. Like I need to tell you all now...

I like (am irked by) how the people using this kid's age as an argument against her and other young people are not only of an older generation, but also acting very childish in doing so.

It's funny how the people I know most concerned with their age and being "respected" for their age always come off as the most immature.

Mod can we close this thread already because this is like cyber bullying to that girl?

Ever heard of that girl just died in coquitlam because of cyber bullying? All of a sudden, people are against bullying.

Here we are bashing this girl who made a mistake..... Come on she doesnt need 10,000 people telling her she made a mistake. Heck, we don't even know if she was actually the one who did this.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/7375826.bin?size=620x400s <-- Note the angle of the photo and what the pillar is connected to? Is that Skytrain tracks I see up above? That means the following:

#1 - The pillar in question is located on a Tranlink "right of way" next to Rogers Arena - Why is this distinction important? That means it's Translink property; not Rogers Arena property. Translink has graciously allowed the Rypien messages to stay. But rest assured after this outcry, the entire pillar will be erased more than likely by Translink staff.

#2. Death threats are inexcusable and those making those comments really need to give their heads a shake. Public shaming does not condone death-threats and those who make death threats to anyone need to be publicly shamed as well.

#3. If there is to be a memorial to Rypien, better that it should be a statue or a plaque on a wall on Rogers Arena rather than on Translink property.

Archived