The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teen Tweets ‘I Give Up’ Before Jumping In Front of Subway Train

nux4lyfe

Stuff like this is just ridiculous. Bullying, racism, and homophobia.

When something happens to a kid, a person that's something other than white, or someone who likes the same gender, it is suddenly made into a big deal. People harp on it, talk about it, to the point you get sick of hearing about it. Then soon, it disappears.

But when this happens, everything becomes extremely sensitive. People fuss about bullies, but so many people honestly just do not give enough of a crap for anything to change. They might rant about it, say it's terrible, but that's all it will add up to. Nothing actually changes. And in the end, because it's such a 'huge' thing, it actually just makes it worse, because kids will just keep doing it and doing it, because they now know it's effective, draws attention, and nothing will really happen to them for it.

I find that the whole thing about black people, the whole first black president, black people getting money. Why does it become about 'black' people? It gets beaten to death whenever a hate crime or something comes up, and then everyone gets very aware, and sensitive about the subject which ends up being.. yeah, black people. So then immediately people start thinking about black people like they're this rare, or special thing, and they end up going out of their way to treat them different.

Exactly the same thing with gay people. Five years ago, I honestly didn't care if someone was gay. I knew someone who was gay in high school, he seemed nice, people liked him. Whoopee. But then, I hear so much in the news, so much in articles, and all this stuff, even I have been made sensitive and think of gay people as something different than normal. And honestly? I think it's crap.

The media spins things wildly out of control and overblows it, people who read online suddenly have a voice, and decide to use it, everyone gets riled up, but then no one ever does anything about what they complain, or speak out against. And everything becomes more and more volatile and sensitive. Social media has been such a horrible thing to happen to society. While it has made people more aware, giving such indifferent, uncaring individuals so much voice and useless knowledge just seems to spell bad news.

It seemed like in the past, people use to do bad things, but society at least had it in their head that it was wrong, so you didn't hear or see as much hate things, bullying, and stuff like that. But now, so many people with distorted views see that there's others like them, and it just seems to be empowering people for bad, instead of good.

I genuinely dislike the way society has changed and morphed since things like facebook and twitter became so popular. I mean, crap. I use to have good friends, that were nice, good people. And all they did, was start to visit 4chan frequently. I actually saw these people turn into douchebags, just because of that one site, and the way it operates and draws in odd people. It's like things like that and twitter and facebook honestly just bring out the worst in people.

The sad part is that this will happen again and again and again and again. And people will make more tribute pages on Facebook and the media will point fingers at who is to blame. And CDC will will argue for pages and pages. And bleeding hearts will defend the victims and attention whores will blame the victims.

I hate that this happens. It's sad that someone took their own life. But it's going to happen again. I'm just gonna live my life and enjoy my 4 month old boy and teach him how to be a real human being, the way I was raised. That's my way to help this cause.

And Bertuzzi Babe, you seem like a sweetheart, so I would probably just walk away from this thread. It's only gonna anger you and no discussion will help that.

Just because people type they care, and reiterate by typing yet again that they care, doesn't mean they actually care. It is horrible that bullies exist, and it's even worse that people commit suicide over said bully but it doesn't affect me, or even many of you in anyway at all. Some of you may have been bullied but really, does it hit that close to home? Sh*t's going down in Syria and 99.9123445% (pulled that out of nowhere) of people could really care less, why should this be any different?

Our problems will never simply disappear, unless we do.

I think we need to make people more aware of the idea that in spite of their problems, however many, they can be dealt with and solved. These people aren't solving anything by killing themselves, they are just making everyone else deal with it.

I might sound a little harsh, but this is getting ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, this is a tragedy. But the problem is, with what happened with Amanda Todd, bullied teens are realizing that, by committing suicide, they can get an ultimate revenge on their bullies. They'll be worshipped like they were some saint, and those kids that bullied them will get a taste of their own medicine, with these death threats yelled at them. The dead kid will have died knowing they ruined their tormentors lives, with a horrible guilt that will probably haunt the (in this case, football team,) to their own grave. The teen who died, however tragic a life they had, will become popular, LOVED, something they think no one ever showed them while they were alive. I'm sorry if I sound judgemental, and I don't pretend to know what was going through these kids heads, but I just wish people could care about these kids while they're still alive, and not make these useless facebook memorial pages when they die. R.I.P. Felicia Garcia and Amanda Todd.

Now let's talk about suicide. It's considered rude to speak ill of the dead. And that's not my intention. And I have no idea what kind of misery this girl was dealing with. But martyrdom is extremely uncool and killing yourself is an incredibly selfish thing to do. If you do it, you are a jerk at the very least and should absolutely NOT be celebrated in national news and made into an icon to be used to oppose whatever drove you to commit suicide. It ???? sucks that you decided to make your last action, what you'll ultimately be remembered for by many, a selfish and cruel one. You took the easy way out and that just plain sucks, for you, for your friends, and for your family. That's all on YOU, not the people who you allowed to take control of your life. Take some goddamned responsibility and stand up against bullying instead of becoming a goddamned martyr and a statistic.

I'm wondering if people are more sensitive now or it was just something that was never talked about before. But throughout grade 1-12 I know of 2 people who killed themselves 1 was because of bullying and the other was cause a girl broke up with a kid. I witnessed plenty people getting tormented by people and they are all still alive and well.

+1 for WeatherWise. If kids are running into serious problems with social media, they're far better off to learn to live without it.

There are a lot of things in this story that made me think...One thing that bothers me is how the guys willingly rubbed shoulder-to-shoulder in a big sausage fest to have sex with this girl, but then turned on her and berated her for it. Why? How are they not the desperate ones?

Personally, I think that sex carries huge emotional consequences, and that if you have sex with someone you don't love/respect, you will carry inevitable shame - regardless if anyone else even knows about it. But I know that many would disagree with me, and try to promote sex as a more care-free activity, that people should be less conservative about. What you want to believe is your right. But what I hate are the people (particularly guys) who try to have it both ways.

Guys: if (safe) sex is nothing more than a fun time between people, and you'll jump at any opportunity to have it with an attractive girl (even if it means getting naked with three of your teammates), then don't turn around and be a d-bag about it after. If sex is fun and meaningless, and a girl gave you some, thank her for it. But if sex is something that should have rules and moral guidelines, and it should be solely for people in a caring relationship, then get some self-control. Don't screw a girl who feels open about sex, and then turn around and call her a slut.

Guess what? YOU'RE the slut, dude. Even worse, you're a hypocrite-slut. YOU gave away it away, even though YOU think it's something to be ashamed of.

I've waited a few days to weigh in on this issue, but I feel now is the time to express my opinion. Victims of bullying should not feel helpless. It baffles me to witness so many individuals try to tolerate the actions perpetrated by the bullies, many times without success. No one should ever believe hope is lost, nor should they succumb to the torture inflicted upon them. There are options available to those who feel trapped by bullying; there are ways to escape. Parents must take initiative, however, if they wish to help their children, as the following arrangements can not be done without their help.

1. If a child is being bullied to the extent that they feel on the brink of suicide, the parents need to move the child as far from their bullies as possible. If this means moving to another province or country rather than losing their child, so be it.

2. The child must then sever their online connections -- shut down their Facebook account, Twitter account, and accounts from other such social networking sites. This will mean one thing: teaching the child that the words of others do not matter. Youth are going to be insecure and self-conscious about what others think about them; let them know that this does not matter a single bit. It is necessary to teach youth that they are better than their tormenters.

3. Change the child's name. For the child to have a new opportunity to live freely, this has to be done. Legal documentation must be changed to ensure nobody can trace the old identity of the child.

4. There are counselling services, peer help services and hotlines available. Try to help the child by surrounding them with people who care about them and who are genuinely interested in helping them.

5. Avoid personal online interactions for at least a little while, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc. Teach them also that if they feel they need help or are in distress, they need to share it with their parents, counsellors, and other social workers involved.

There are many more actions one could take in order to provide their child with a new start. A new country, a new name, counselling, and no connections to their past life are just the start. I believe many victims feel helpless when they've been become targets of bullying. Their first step would be to tell somebody. If their parents can sort out the proper arrangements to help them, fine. If not, such as in some cases of foster parenting, there are child care workers and social workers who can intervene.

There is never a point in which youth should feel helpless. We should be educating children and adolescents that they are not trapped. They have options, no matter how desperate their situation. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be enough of a focus. We have not heard a single word these past few weeks about providing support for youth in need of help. If schools and media are not going to teach this, parents need to provide this knowledge to their children. It should be everybody's responsibility to contribute to their children's safety.

Very few people here have talked about solutions from the perspective of the individual. It's one thing to change humanity by reducing bullying. It is another thing, on a more personal level, to find a way to escape bullying. The worldwide situation will not change overnight. In the meantime, we need to try to assist and support those who need help right now in today's society.

Pleaing via an anonymous video online is not how to find help; it's only going to get lost among everything else on the internet. There are real solutions. We just need these kids to speak out to real people. Get them away from their computers and away from any way in which they can have access to the very words that torment them. Show them that there is always an escape from bullying no matter how dire the situation may seem.

I feel as though too little is done to help kids in need of support. Instead of being supported and helped in times of difficulty, they desperately cling without any change to the situation. At that point, it just becomes a matter of time before they feel there is nothing left for them.

^^^ And when those things fail? Amanda Todd changed school how many times????????? And why should the victim of bullying have to move repeatedly, change their name etc???? How about the bullies be made to accept the consequences of THEIR actions instead of the victim being victimized yet again by having to be the one who has to give up their name, their home, their school and their friends due to the actions of one or a few? Exactly how much is a bully entitled to take from you??

A bully isn't entitled to take anything from anyone but rather then having my child take their life ill take their name house and facebook away. I agree with what he/she said if its as bad as these two cases extreme measures must be taken and parents must intervene especially if school or the law isn't.

Archived