The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

That's an idea certainly.

Another would be to force all years to have the same salary for the duration of the contract. That way if Weber feels he's really worth $14M a season right now he takes a shorter deal with a higher yearly salary for more up front money, or a longer deal with a lower yearly salary for more job security.

I could see an exception perhaps for a signing bonus only in the first year. That could then only be a small percentage of the salary, either on top of it (so total of salary and bonus couldn't exceed max salary amounts) or as a part of it.

So, what formula does signing bonus have, as proposed by NHL? Didn't they propose it not be counted against the cap? What is preventing a team from doing a 30m signing bonus with 5 years at 2m (total 40m with cap hit 2m instead of 8m)? Is there a maximum on signing bonus? This is practically the same thing as back-diving contract.

So, what formula does signing bonus have, as proposed by NHL? Didn't they propose it not be counted against the cap? What is preventing a team from doing a 30m signing bonus with 5 years at 2m (total 40m with cap hit 2m instead of 8m)? Is there a maximum on signing bonus? This is practically the same thing as back-diving contract.

I have pretty much hit the breaking point for my support for the NHL. As is the case with many adults, I have too many other things that are far more important for me to dedicate my time and money to (ie: finish landscaping, finish basement, etc). So there's that.

Now, I absolutely understand that the lockout is strictly between the NHL and NHLPA. Employees have the absolute right to look after their best interests, as well as do their employers. However, the enterainment industry is slightly different as employees are compensated far more generously than the general public.

As a season ticket holder and an employee of one of the NHLs major sponsers, I can tell you that the only people more upset than fans about the recent lockout is that of their sponsers.

I already cancelled my center ice package, which I definitely won't renew. My season tickets will also follow suit should my team/NHL not have a plan in place to make it up to the fans, who are enduring a 3rd lockout in less than 20 years. What a joke the NHL has become.

This is where I keep going back to the idea of not averaging the contract to come up with the cap hit. If the cap hit was simply the amount the player is paid during that season then there would be no advantage to these long term, back diving contracts.

If a team like Philly wants to make an offer with a huge up front cost they would need the huge up front cap space to make it happen.

Give the NHL their 5 and 7 but performance bonuses don't count against the cap. For the owners, this can be a mild version of a no guarantee contract. You don't perform, you don't get full/maximum pay only base rate. For the players, they have the potential to make more beyond the cap.

I have pretty much hit the breaking point for my support for the NHL. As is the case with many adults, I have too many other things that are far more important for me to dedicate my time and money to (ie: finish landscaping, finish basement, etc). So there's that.

Now, I absolutely understand that the lockout is strictly between the NHL and NHLPA. Employees have the absolute right to look after their best interests, as well as do their employers. However, the enterainment industry is slightly different as employees are compensated far more generously than the general public.

As a season ticket holder and an employee of one of the NHLs major sponsers, I can tell you that the only people more upset than fans about the recent lockout is that of their sponsers.

I already cancelled my center ice package, which I definitely won't renew. My season tickets will also follow suit should my team/NHL not have a plan in place to make it up to the fans, who are enduring a 3rd lockout in less than 20 years. What a joke the NHL has become.

Archived