The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

And one more article that I won't quote in entirety because it's rather long, but it is an interesting read.

Top 12 reasons why this is the wrong time for the NHL to risk Armageddon

Here's a quote from the article which echoes what many of us have been saying for a while now:

It says here the damage of this 98-day lockout — and counting — is already greater than that inflicted to the NHL’s brand by the lost season of 2004-05. You can only go to the well so many times before your fans change their relationship with you and the game. Even the most loyal of customers are seeing the NHL as a business that has forgotten how important the veneer — some would say facade — of playing for the love of the game is in building fan engagement.

Too close to the WJC tourny now to really care about the liars in their suits fighting for your money and my money that we choose to spend on sports entertainment. Running off to buy a team Finnland jersey and a team Canada Jersey which will be the only jerseys I buy for at least several years now.

Is anyone else starting to care less and less about this lockout?

I never thought I'd see the day... but I am. If they decide to cancel the season, I think I'm done. I'll stop supporting anything NHL related, started with deleting my cdc account :shock: ... I'll even remove the site from my bookmarks! :(

Yes!!!

I never thought I'd say this...but: I hope they cancel the entire season. The owners and players both need to take a HUGE hit to their pocketbooks. Players in the last few years of their playing careers will suffer the most. And, if one or more franchises fold as a result if this dispute, many players will never play in the NHL ever again.

I believe Bettman opposes contract amnesty because it rewards teams who have made poor contract signings(NYR) and penalized teams who have signed within their means (Van). The whole idea behind a CBA was to ensure the players recieved a % of revenue and that NHL teams could not outspend their weaker competition. A system the saved teams like the Flamers, Oilers and Sens from folding. Thinking it might be a bonus for some players who might collect extra cash is short sighted. Such a deal only reinforces some franchises to do the same thing in the future under some other pretext. In the end the majority of players will lose not win.

Is anyone else starting to care less and less about this lockout?

I never thought I'd see the day... but I am. If they decide to cancel the season, I think I'm done. I'll stop supporting anything NHL related, started with deleting my cdc account :shock: ... I'll even remove the site from my bookmarks! :(

NHL's next cancellation will be the season:

The latest NHL lockout will turn 100 days old on Monday, but understandably the occasion will not be a cause for celebrations in this country.

Instead, expect the fury and disgust and disbelief that have built up over the past three-plus months among fans to continue to intensify, and also expect more NHL followers to continue to pronounce that they are done with the NHL.

Here were some of the tweets I received after the league cancelled more games on Thursday:

"Nobody cares anymore,"
from @JoeRussoIII.

"What a disgrace. I hope players, owners and Bettman all realize how disgusted fans are,"
wrote @mjeike35.

"Cancel the season already,"
another tweet from @nyr_nationsaid.

"Just get it over with already,"
@jeffurkevich wrote.

"Just do it,"
@lgc_com tweeted.

One way or another this game of chicken between the owner sand the players is nearing a conclusion. That much was made clear after the league cancelled another block of games, this time through to Jan. 14. A total of 625 games or 50.8 per cent of the 2012-13 regular season now has gone up in smoke.

Some of us have speculated that January 15th was D-Day to save the season, and Thursday's announcement confirmed as much. The NHL and the players are down to their final 26 days to get a deal done and begin a 48-game schedule or kiss off another season.

The NHL wouldn't dare cancel its second season in eight years, would it? You wouldn't think so. But there already has been so much damage done to this $3.3-billion business does another nine months really make a difference at this point?

No more talking

But all the uproar will not sway the owners or the players. Only the league and the players can solve the issues at hand.

The big problem, however, there hasn't been a bargaining session since the two sides departed New Jersey following two days of mediation last Thursday.

There are no talks planned either. Heck, the two sides can't even agree on how close they are in getting a deal done. NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr has said the two sides are close on a new collective agreement. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly begs to differ and has said this week that the two sides are not close.

There has been so much posturing and spinning that has gone on, the truth lies somewhere in between.

There also is this matter of the possibility that the NHLPA could file a disclaimer of interest and dissolve the union in order to open the door to file antitrust suits against the NHL. The players have been voting this week on whether to give their executive board the authorization to do so and that voting period concludes on Friday.

The NHL, meanwhile, launched a class-action lawsuit in federal court in New York as well as an unfair labour practice complaint with the U.S. National Labor Relations Board last Friday.

The threat of antitrust lawsuits triggered a deal in the NFL and NBA lockouts last year. But nobody knows how this will influence the NHL-NHLPA stalemate.

All we really do know is that the owners and the players are down to their final 26 days, and that the next cancellation will be the entire 2012-13 NHL season.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/12/nhls-next-cancellation-will-be-the-season.html

Yea - you wonder don't you.

Perhaps the owners who are used to getting their way in the world including a trophy business (NHL franchise) build up resentment as NHL quality players (scarce resource) use their bargaining leverage to force the owners to *gasp* negotiate terms of contracts.

The lockout to me comes across as somewhat vindictive, the concessions demanded by the owners aren't necessary the owners have plenty of options for running their teams and managing their payroll. Nobody forces them to sign long term deals and fat contracts.

I'd say we have the wrong players in the league except it's ridiculous, perhaps it's fair to say we have the wrong owners?

Mark my words, the players will sign a deal and the owners will overspend and hose themselves throughout the term of the next CBA.

I say it again we have the wrong guys running the show and I'm not particularily pleased to see that they are going to be getting a bigger slice of the pie....hopefully enough damage has been done that the pie will be smaller. I'll do my part, I'll still watch but no more jerseys, no more centre ice....definitely thinking twice about every penny I send into those pockets....

I think everyone should unlike the NHL facebook page. I know it probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but they currently have 2,566,700 "likes" and if that number got down to less than a million I'm sure they'd notice people are losing interest. For comparison, the NBA has 15 million likes and the NFL has 6 million.

I think everyone should unlike the NHL facebook page. I know it probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but they currently have 2,566,700 "likes" and if that number got down to less than a million I'm sure they'd notice people are losing interest. For comparison, the NBA has 15 million likes and the NFL has 6 million.

Archived