The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

It's not about the players being 'greedy' as much as it's right now, the players get a bigger % of everything, and the owners want to do more 50/50 + revenue sharing like every other major sports league is doing right now, which are all also making more money than hockey right now.

The contracts are ridiculous, but it's not the owner's fault. The players DEMAND that much before they sign, so don't blame the owners for ridiculous contracts when it's the players trying to get them. Revenue sharing and a more even split of things would be better for the league as a whole.

I am all for helping out the struggling teams and giving everyone a better shot.

The owners and league are also the ones that want to limit contracts to 5 years instead of the massive ones coming out now, not the other way around. If the league and owners were greedy, I doubt they'd be doing something that would make them unable to offer out big contracts.

So are the players greedy because they accept the idiotic offers the owners throw out? Sorry I have no sympathy for the owners, they are the ones who caused all the problems, salaries are too high? Whose fault is that? The owners decide how much they pay in salaries, stop spending money you don't have. Stop making ridiculous offers, stop exploiting loopholes in the salary cap you threw an entire season away to get. It is the owners who are after more not the players, what I see is a dictator of a president who desperately wants to protect his mistakes in Phoenix, Columbus, Florida, etc and wants the players to pay for it instead of the financially irresponsible owners like the Flyers and Rangers who drove the salaries out of this world with ridiculous contracts in the first place. The owners can't figure out how to divide their piece of the pie so they want to take a chunk out of the players piece with no plan on how to divide that either, with both sides raising a middle finger to the ones who baked the pie in the first place, the fans.

Wasn't Leopold part of the Nashville group that brought in a guy named bugsy, or bootsy, something like that? Somehow, he ends up owning the Wild. Didn't he plead poverty, and up and until he signed Parise and Suter plead poverty? Funny how these guys are in Bettmans' inner circle. They deserve one another.

Bettman says still far apart...with no meetings scheduled again until next week... Looking like the NHL is going for another full lockout year... Quite pathetic. If they go a full season during us economic woes NHL teams will fold.

TORONTO — With one month to go before the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement expires, the league and players seem no closer to a deal than when talks began in June.

In fact, the divide may have grown even further.

It took commissioner Gary Bettman less than 24 hours to conclude that the first proposal from the NHL Players’ Association held little appeal for the owners.

“There’s still a wide gap between us with not much time to go,” Bettman said Wednesday.

“I do think it’s fair to say that the sides are still apart — far apart — and have different views of the world and the issues,” he added.

They were hardly encouraging comments for those hoping to see the league avoid its second lockout in as many negotiations, and the third on Bettman’s watch. The current CBA expires Sept. 15 and Bettman has already made it clear that the league will enact a work stoppage if a new deal isn’t in place by then.

On Tuesday, the union put forth a proposal that included a smaller percentage of revenues for players over the next three seasons in exchange for an expanded revenue sharing program to help struggling teams. The NHLPA estimated that players would be giving up US$465 million in salaries if the league continued on its pace of seven per cent growth each season.

However, that math didn’t add up for the league.

“I think it’s fair to say that we value the proposal and what it means in terms of its economics differently than the players’ association does,” said Bettman. “I think there still are a number of issues where we’re looking at the world differently. I’m not sure that there has yet been a recognition of the economics in our world — and I mean the greater world and the sports industry, taking into account what recently happened with the NFL and the NBA.”

Both of those sports leagues went through recent lockouts before ultimately seeing the players’ share in revenue reduced. The NHL’s initial proposal called for a significant reduction from 57 per cent to 43 per cent, when factoring in changes to the way revenue is calculated.

It would be nowhere near that drastic in the offer put forth from the NHLPA.

Donald Fehr, the union’s executive director, bristled at the parallels Bettman drew to other sports leagues — “every sport has its own economics,” he said — and indicated that the gap in talks was created by the NHL’s initial proposal in July.

“There’s a pretty substantial monetary gulf which is there and when you start with the proposal the owners made how could it be otherwise?” said Fehr. “I mean consider what the proposal was: It is ‘let’s move salaries back to where they were before the (2004-05) lockout started, back to the last time.’ That’s basically what it was.

“‘We had a 24 per cent reduction last time, let’s have another one.’ That was the proposal. That’s what creates the gulf.”

The sides broke off from talks with two completely different offers on the table and no meaningful negotiation sessions planned for a week. They’ll gather again in Toronto on Aug. 22.

Fehr was disappointed the owners weren’t more receptive to what he viewed as two significant concessions in the NHLPA’s offer — the fact it included the hard salary cap won by owners in the last round of negotiations and called for a drag on the amount of money they’re paid.

The strong words and wide gap left many feeling like another lockout was in the offing. There wasn’t much Bettman could offer when asked what he might say to fans concerned about the possibility.

“I don’t have an appetite either to not have hockey, so we’re all in agreement on that,” Bettman said. “I know what the game means and I know how important it is for our franchises and our game to be healthy from an economic standpoint and we’re working very, very hard.

“It takes two sides to make a deal, it takes two sides to negotiate and it takes two sides if it all goes bad. We’re working very hard hopefully to keep it from going bad.”

© COPYRIGHT - POSTMEDIA NEWS

What say you fellow CDC'ers? What say you? I for one don't like it.

:towel::canucks:

The players put together a very reasonable proposal.... I can understand the owners wanting to tilt it a little bit more in their favour but saying no to it outright would make the NHL look really bad, especially because the players seem willing to compromise.

C'mon Betman please no lockout!

Archived