The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

frack the NHL they are a bush league ran by a moron I have no idea how Gary Bettman is still running this league when he's already had 3 work stopages. The owners and the players have to get their heads out of their asses and learn how to make a deal and not be so greedy. The people this affects are the employes of NHL teams and most importantly the fans. I'm going to get my season tickets for the heat so I can atleast enjoy pro hockey while the nhl tries and work out a deal. Oh yeah I hope Bettman drops dead that dumb rat.

What I can't understand is that the Owners can't make money because the players are locked out...so the players can go out and sign up on contracts with other country's teams.

So you know the the players can just up and leave til the lock out is over...no hardship for them. Hmmm

What I can't understand is that the Owners can't make money because the players are locked out...so the players can go out and sign up on contracts with other country's teams.

So you know the the players can just up and leave til the lock out is over...no hardship for them. Hmmm

This lockout has simply divided people into two groups, those who understand business and those who don't. Those who do understand a bit of business know two things:

1) You don't promise money you don't have to employees. You certainly don't then try to rewrite their contracts by coercion. No other industry honours contracts less than pro hockey. You fielded the contract to the player, you signed it, you pay what it says. To claim that you shouldn't have to is pure greed. (This goes for the current CBA as well, which was written entirely by the owners. It's the same behaviour: making an offer, then ignoring it when it suits them.) The only reason the owners can do this is exclusivity. Players don't really have a proper alternative to the NHL. There aren't lots of leagues out there competing. That's why no one tries this crap if they own a law firm. There are lots of law firms out there. Employees will just go "Haha. What a dick" and get a job at a rival firm.

2) You don't make money on a team due to annual profits unless you're in a really, REALLY good market. You make money by running the team, growing the fanbase, getting more advertising, selling more merch and then selling the more developed franchise for way more than you bought it for. The owners are essentially flipping houses. They buy the house, pay to improve it, then sell it for a wad of profit. Operating costs are ALWAYS negative in this case unless you bought an apartment building which is raking in tons of rent. As it is, owners are complaining that the renters (players) aren't paying for the house. Of course they're not. Why would they? The renters are there to cover costs, not buy the house.

If you don't agree with the above, consider yourself ignorant. These are simple facts of economics. Anything else being talked about is a distraction. The lockout is simply a matter of owner greed and the players, with no other viable options, having to an agreement with them if they want to continue playing.

Archived