The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

Does anyone know when the NFL and NBA lockouts ended if both sides were far apart like the NHL and NHLPA are right now and then all of a sudden reached a deal. Or were both sides far apart and then after a few weeks of getting negotiating they finally reached a deal?

I ask because obviously both sides are far apart and was wondering if maybe one day we wake up and they reach a deal, or do we have to sit through a few weeks of people telling us they are getting closer before reaching a deal.

The NHL and NHLPA will go back to negotiating on Tuesday. Players will miss their first pay check on Monday, but they will receive their escrow checks in the next 2 weeks. No new offers/proposals are expected to be brought to the table.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/10/13/nhl-nhlpa-make-it-a-date-tuesday

‎10:00PM — "No, really frack Gary. ???? prick. I bet he’ll let us sit the year. Owners don’t care. ???? hypocrites. Can’t afford the cap where it’s at, but lay out $200 mill for Suter and Parise? Need us to take a pay cut, but paying Redden $6 mill to play in Connecticut last year? Need cost certainty, but bet $9 mill on Bryz not going ???? batcrap crazy in Philly? Bull-????-crap. Something’s wrong there."

Daly was asked via email on Friday what was preventing the NHL from making a new offer, “Just the concern that the union will do what its done with our last two offers, pocket them and ask for more…”

Bill Daly was asked on Friday via email what was preventing the league from making a new offer. His answer to follow.

— Allan Walsh (@walsha)

Good news! NHLPA, the ball is in your court!

45]

lebrun_twitter_49669_normal.jpg

League offer of 50/50 split would begin in Year 1. No phasing in

45]

Bettman says offer contingent on having 82-game season which would begin Nov 2. Says league offered 50/50 share of HRR

• kl0fyt059x04f6rc2wnm_normal.jpeg2cy2wq8-1_normal.jpgjahns_normal.gif18374_753779248236_5506043_42686632_4426408_n_normal.jpg12858_1266305770346_1010826040_30832410_7184530_n_normal.jpgimage_normal.jpgimage_normal.jpg

45]

Meeting over. Bettman says NHL made new offer to NHLPA

More News!

This is getting me SO EXCITED !! :frantic:

The more I hear, the better it seems.

tsn-twitter150_normal.jpg

The payback to the players would occur over the balance of their contracts.

TWITTER_PHOTO_normal.jpg

Fehr: Our hope is, after we review this, that this will be a proposal we can negotiate from

TWITTER_PHOTO_normal.jpg

Don Fehr: "We will discuss offer internally and get back with NHL. May be today, may be tomorrow. Sooner, rather than later"

NHL intends on calculating lost salary in getting to 50-50 and will pay the players back over time.

mckenzie_normal.jpg

The key to this NHL proposal, as I see it, is what "protection" exists in it for the expected first year player pay reduction.

45]

Am told in NHL offer there is a proposal designed to "protect" players for salary reductions in the initial years

45]

DSC00130_normal.JPG

Don't know details yet, but from what I'm told NHL proposal in some way protects player salaries as is in 2012-13. Interested to see how.

Retweeted by

45]

Bettman says there is no rollback. He said proposal was long term deal. He did not mention years in deal.

Retweeted by

45]

329868098_normal.jpg

Gary Bettman told me after his media briefing
has "about 10 days" to accept
offer of 50/50 to start 82-game season Nov. 2.

Retweeted by

45]

Donald Fehr going to address media in the next 15 min

45]

NHL makes much needed proposal. 50-50 split in rev. More details will surface. Await NHLPA response.

Also league has taken off table some of the systemic changes to player contracts which they asked for in initial July offer

Very interesting. Definitely sounds like more of a starting point, especially if they're going to figure out a way to make teams honor the contracts they've signed. Time to lock themselves in a room, give a little on both sides and get this done!

I'd really like to have more details about the offer though. Does that include a redefinition of HRR as well (which means a far greater reduction in player's share than the 50/50 would seem to indicate)? Does it include the other things the owners were demanding before, including a contract limit (which I actually agree with, as long as they are required to honor existing contracts as they were signed), extending the entry level contracts lengths, and denying players all rights to arbitration? Also, does it address team revenue sharing as the players were asking for so that more in-the-red teams could benefit instead of a few teams taking home a profit thanks to the bailouts after publicly reporting a yearly loss and crying poverty?

Anyone else think the news leaking about the NHL hiring a spin doctor and using a focus group to develop a propaganda message scared them enough to make a new offer?

Archived