The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone else losing interest?

MLT

I thought I was losing interest... but then I realized hockey is more than just something I watch on tv. It's a social event to me, something to look forward to every other day, and the illusion that you're "part of the team". They're our team. I miss rooting for that.

I also realized I still frequent this forum every day. If hockey wasn't somewhat embedded in me, I would have stopped coming here months ago, and probably wouldn't even have noticed because I also frequent 3 other large forums that are much more entertaining. :bigblush:

Hell, I even check the Canucks forum AND the trades/rumors boards every day. I have no idea why, but I still do.

I'd like to say I was "losing interest".. you know, stick it to the nhl and the nhlpa for all being greedy bastards... but I know full well that as soon as it resumes, I'll be right back into it like it never left.

For me, I don't think it's so much losing interest as it is seething with rage. It is truly shocking and unacceptable that this is being done again.

I live in the US, though, and it's really not an issue here at all, no mentioning of the cancellation of November on ESPN at all. So who knows, maybe I'll start to get back into the NBA again.

As for my own view, I agree with the OP. I am finding things to fill up my time quite nicely. It feels just like an extension of the off-season right now, which isn't a bad thing, because the season is too long anyways.

I expected to miss it, and I started out kind of angry about it...but I'm surprised how quickly I have shifted to complete apathy.

Preferences

§

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

/

shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

the opposite of love is not hate it is apathy..... Bettman and owners especially are playing a very dangerous game here.... as a fanatic diehard fan since the beginning ( 1971) I find myself angry at Bettman and owners who sign players in bad faith knowing they will not have to keep their word (and therefore their integrity)

Worse yet, I am not giving a rats rectum whether they come back or not this year. I feel bad for the players who are not in a negotiation so much as a rape. but my apathy is telling a very dangerous story.

What NHL?

Seriously though.....been watching and playing hockey for over thirty years and though I'm not missing it much right now with a lot if other things going on, I'll be watching it when they finally pull their heads out.

Got my own game tonight followed by beers.

Last night I watched the giants tigers game; not all of it but the last half. First time I've sat through that much televised ball...pretty good actually.

I consider myself about as devoted to hockey, generally, and the canucks, specifically, as just about anyone I know.

I have not missed more than a handful of games in 20+ years. But this is my third lockout, and I have to say that it is becoming increasingly difficult to care about a league that does this to itself and its fans. I have spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on games over the years and feel utterly disgusted by all of the greed and games being played at the fans expense.

Now I find myself rooting for any scenario that teaches the NHL a serious lesson-one that results in owners, players, and the league losing serious money. I feel bad for the people that rely on the NHL for income--vendors, office staff, etc., but I just don't care about these idiots and their antics anymore.

Hmm, I am a Canuck fan and therefore a Chicago Wolves fan. If all of the Chicago Wolves games were televised I wouldn't miss the NHL that much. If the NHL tried to do replacement players, I wouldn't watch.

The NHL should just stop trying to bully the players and force them to do their will. NHL hockey players don't give in to bullies. If they did they wouldn't be NHL hockey players and we fans wouldn't be paying to watch them.

I still care the same as I did after last season ended...im just increasingly angry. We've got an american lawyer with a basketball background going up against an american baseball guy, both focused like a laser beam on dollars and cents. If you asked either of these guys what icing is they might start talking about cake. The negotiations are a joke and amount to no more than a glorified pissing contest. How was this ever allowed to happen? Our national pasttime is being raked through the coals. Its time to put people in charge who give a damn about the sport and the fans, not just the money they might make at our expense.

Hey, I hear you. I think the players are getting what they deserve for being so out of touch about the realities of the hockey business. between them and Bettman this is going to be half a season minimum.

I am totally getting into the NFL only problem is the teams are not performing the way I expect. Talk about being uneducated about stuff.

I like to watch hockey, probably more than any other sport - but I like sports - and I fill the space with alternatives, particularly with the Yankees out, and the West coast teams in the NFL on the rise - really enjoying watching the Seahawks, 49ers....and I am prepared to match the lockout mentality of disregard with equal and opposite disregard.

Honestly, it's not so much indifference as resolve at this point. I am simply not going to return to the NHL unless I see some concessions from Bettman. If anyone is charged to compromise, it is him.

Didn't we get long term stability last time??

you're likely losing interest because there is no games being played and no progress being made in negotiations, rather than losing interest in the sport.

I've also started watching the NFL every week this year, and I've gotten pretty into it. But go on Youtube, watch some highlights from the 2011 cup run and you'll realize just how much you miss the Canucks. I guarantee it.

I just know that I've been far more productive with my other hobbies and interests without any real hockey to watch.

I LOL @ that 7% difference (or less) between parties - it's gonna cost them big in the long run.

I don't know about you guys, but i've been the most DIE HARD canucks fan over the last 4 or 5 years. However, with the recent lockout i've lost interest in NHL hockey majorly.

I think mostly because with the lack of nhl this year i've gotten WAY into NFL football and a fantasy league.

I'm not sure my fandom will return to what it once was, post lockout. I'm not one of the weiners saying that i'll never watch another game. I'll obviously always be a fan and watch alot of games, but this lockout has certainly opened my eye's to the world of NFL football and other sports.

I've invested to much of myself into this sport to be let down like this.

Anyone else on the same page here?

Millionaires bitching about money. I have no sympathy for the players or the owners. My insane fanaticism for hockey and the Nucks has taken quite a beating through the second lock out I've had to endure as a fan. It's all business and not about the game anymore. Watching the minor leagues and junior games has my interest now. These kids want to play, and you can see that. I will not give any more of my money to the millionaires.

Archived