115 replies to this topic

#91 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

IMHO the Jays aren't quite done although I think the heavy lifting is done. I'd be very surprised if Buck and Arencibia start the season on the same team. D'Arnaud isn't far behind but, with the injury he suffered last year, I don't see him starting the year in the bigs and, personally, I'd rather them not trade Arencibia until they know D'Arnaud will be able to catch on a regular basis. Looks like the guy is going to rake though. Taking that all into account, I hope Buck is the one that gets traded for a bag of baseballs and one of those baseline chalking machines then, once D'Arnaud is ready, he or Arencibia can replace Lind while the other catches. Best case scenario would be D'Arnaud being ready to come up by late May.

I honestly don't think the Jays need another starter. Happ is a more than capable 5th starter. Adding Marcum may be a case of too many chef's in the kitchen. Which is tough for me to say because I think Marcum is a great teammate. I guess they could trade a starter and sign him. I know with Johnson and Morrow in the same rotation there is the concern for injury but there is depth in the system that can provides spot starts, or, worse case scenario, be used to bring a pitcher in mid-season in a trade to replace for a more serious injury.

The bullpen is pretty much complete. Once again, AA may tinker to get a little bit more of a veteran presence in a non-closer role but it's not something he has to do. I have plently of faith in Janssen, Santos, Loup, Lincoln, Delabar, Rogers and hopefully Oliver.

As for the batting line-up. Those are more fluid than hockey lines. Let's see what Spring Training brings and put the better of Lawrie or Cabrera into that 2-hole.

Looks like it'll be an exciting season!

#92 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Getting someone like Konerko and some kids to restock the cupboards a bit would be a nice move. Him and EE can split time at 1st and DH and it gives you another legit power bat behind JoeyBats and EE.

Lind Arencibia for Konerko and a prospect or 2.

Even as they stand now tho...

Reyes
Cabrera
Bautista
Encarnacion
Rasmus
Lawrie
Lind
Arencibia
Izturis

Thats a deep and very talented line up. Tho more reliable pop out of the #5 spot would be the area to address. But Lawrie Rasmus and Lind all have more than enough talent to provide that its just a question of consistency.

I know alot of people have Bonifacio at 2nd and in the #2, but he's not nearly good enough in the field to be an everyday player. And doesnt hit for enough avg or have the OB% to play the #2 spot. Him and Rajai Davis will bring alot of flash off the bench late in games tho and can spot start. There is an absurb amount of speed on the roster now too.

Would like to see one more starter added as well, bringing Marcum back would be a nice pick up. Dont think there will be anymore big name additions lol.

Johnson
Romero
Morrow
Buehrle
Marcum

Thats a pretty sick rotation. Keeps the lefties split up so teams dont see them in back to back games.

I know what you mean by a player like Konerko but it won't be Konerno for several reasons. First off, he's a RH batter and the Jays need is a LH batter and secondly he's probably a Chisox for life.

The reason I think Morneau would be a good fit, and I'm not even talking about his nationality, is that he is a solid all around hitter from the left side when healthy with a sizable contract on a small market team. If Minny would be willing to take Lind ++ back for him in a cost cutting move I think it could work both ways. I'd even be happy to move Bonaficio since he isn't a good defensive back-up off of the bench. The Jays really need a guy like that and that might be the type of target, with a prospect or two, in an Arencibia trade.

Having both Romero and Buerlhe in the rotation means that Happ probably doesn't a shot there unless he destroys at camp. I can't remember the last time a team with 3 LHP in the rotation was a WS contender. It's a suddenly strange situation for the Jays to find themselves in.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#93 sirensong87

sirensong87

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

I know what you mean by a player like Konerko but it won't be Konerno for several reasons. First off, he's a RH batter and the Jays need is a LH batter and secondly he's probably a Chisox for life.

The reason I think Morneau would be a good fit, and I'm not even talking about his nationality, is that he is a solid all around hitter from the left side when healthy with a sizable contract on a small market team. If Minny would be willing to take Lind ++ back for him in a cost cutting move I think it could work both ways. I'd even be happy to move Bonaficio since he isn't a good defensive back-up off of the bench. The Jays really need a guy like that and that might be the type of target, with a prospect or two, in an Arencibia trade.

Having both Romero and Buerlhe in the rotation means that Happ probably doesn't a shot there unless he destroys at camp. I can't remember the last time a team with 3 LHP in the rotation was a WS contender. It's a suddenly strange situation for the Jays to find themselves in.

Fair enough, didn't want to jump to Morneau right away. But hes the obvious pick up for the Jays on so many level, I can also see the Twins happy to move him at this point. Only problem is with Mauer I dont know how much interest they have in Arencibia, tho with Morneau gone they could move Mauer to 1st full time.

I don't see Happ starting with Romero and Buehrle either, but he would be great to have as long relief and to start when the injuries start coming. I defenitly dont want him moved.

Edited by sirensong87, 17 November 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#94 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Ok, I'm going to get all crazy with the cheese whiz here.

Trade 1:

Lind, Bonaficio, Sierra for Morneau and Jamey Caroll - Minny saves some cash and gets some decent younger assets for one high priced star and very old back-up IF.

Trade 2: 3 way deal

To Tor: Halladay
To Phil: Romero, Soriano, prospect from the Cubs
To Cubs: Arencibia, prospects from the Jays

SS - Reyes (SH)
LF - Carbrera (SH)
RF- Bautista (RH)
1B - Morneau (LH)
DH - Encarnacion (RH)
CF - Rasmus (LH)
3B - Lawrie (RH)
C - Buck/D'Arnaud (RH)
2B - Izturis (SH)

Bench: Davis, Cooper, Carroll, Buck/D'Arnaud

Halladay
Johnson
Buerlhe
Morrow
Happ

#95 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Will Kyle drabek be ready for the season?
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#96 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Will Kyle drabek be ready for the season?

Probably not. I don't think we can count on Drabek, Hitch, Perez or Santos. If they are, great!

#97 canucksfan555

canucksfan555

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:35 AM

People are forgetting Bonafacio is a very competent 2B wouldn't be surprised if the starters are:

1B- Edwin Encarnation
2B- Emilio Bonafacio
SS- Jose Reyes
3B- Brett Lawrie
LF- Melky Cabrera
CF- Colby Rasmus
RF- Jose Bautista
DH- Adam Lind
C= JP Arencibia

Bench: Gose, Cooper, Izturis, Davis, Sierra

Then for Pitchers: Johnson, Buehrle, Morrow, Romero, Happ/Hutchinson

Pretty dirty lineup if you ask me!

#98 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

not sure if I'm doing the attach photo right but Jose Reyes has been instagraming nope not right ... if someone wants to post it just google Jose Reyes Blue Jays there is a picture of him in Blue Jays workout gear.
:) 

Edited by CanuckinEdm, 19 November 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#99 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,528 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

not sure if I'm doing the attach photo right but Jose Reyes has been instagraming nope not right ... if someone wants to post it just google Jose Reyes Blue Jays there is a picture of him in Blue Jays workout gear.
:)

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#100 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

^^^^Awesome! That looks great.

Ok, after reading a bunch of internet rumours, as unlikely as they are knowing how closely AA holds his cards to his chest, I'm going to change my guess what the Jays may actually do.

1) JP Arencibia to Texas for Alexei Ogando

2) Romero, Lind, cash for Justin Morneau

3) Sign Shawn Marcum to 3 years $15 million

#101 Gally

Gally

KJ's Butler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Is there any way Greinke goes to Toronto? My friend thought there was a good chance but I disagreed.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#102 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Is there any way Greinke goes to Toronto? My friend thought there was a good chance but I disagreed.

Probably not. The Jays are more likely to add pitching by moving JPA for a young, pre-FA pitcher, like Ogando or Niese. I actually think there is a very good chance of that happening.

#103 ZackAttack-9

ZackAttack-9

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

1.reyes
2.cabrera
3.bautista

LOL at Lawrie for top of the order, kids a hot head, passionate for TO but with the acquisitions, he'll drop down to 5th or 6th. BL has a future, but he first must learn his place and be happy he's everyday at 3rd for his hometeam!

FFS!!!

J.P. is an unreal catcher and a fan favorite, he is top flight, and hopefully wont be going anywhere. JP is a power hitting catcher give him benefit of the doubt at .250 and 80rbi.

One of the best young catchers in the game.... quit trying to get him traded. PLUS he brings the ladies to the games... no way AA overlooks this.. Extend JPA and I'll buy his jersey.

Edited by ZackAttack-9, 19 November 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#104 ZackAttack-9

ZackAttack-9

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

People are forgetting Bonafacio is a very competent 2B wouldn't be surprised if the starters are:

1B- Edwin Encarnation
2B- Emilio Bonafacio
SS- Jose Reyes
3B- Brett Lawrie
LF- Melky Cabrera
CF- Colby Rasmus
RF- Jose Bautista
DH- Adam Lind
C= JP Arencibia

Bench: Gose, Cooper, Izturis, Davis, Sierra

Then for Pitchers: Johnson, Buehrle, Morrow, Romero, Happ/Hutchinson

Pretty dirty lineup if you ask me!

Lol at Gose and Sierra on the bench. OKAY!!! Try AAA buddy.

#105 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

1.reyes
2.cabrera
3.bautista

LOL at Lawrie for top of the order, kids a hot head, passionate for TO but with the acquisitions, he'll drop down to 5th or 6th. BL has a future, but he first must learn his place and be happy he's everyday at 3rd for his hometeam!

FFS!!!

J.P. is an unreal catcher and a fan favorite, he is top flight, and hopefully wont be going anywhere. JP is a power hitting catcher give him benefit of the doubt at .250 and 80rbi.

One of the best young catchers in the game.... quit trying to get him traded. PLUS he brings the ladies to the games... no way AA overlooks this.. Extend JPA and I'll buy his jersey.

Umm, no he is not. I like JPA but he is a power hitter who is average or below average at everything else. His defense is almost average, his contact hitting is well below average, his batting eye is atrocious and his speed is non existent. He does a decent job of handling a staff but his plate blocking and throwing arm are still a work in progress.

He has potential to improve but let's not make him into something he is not.

#106 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Probably very slim chance, if at all. I believe the asking price from Greinke is 5 years/160 million or something ridiculous like that. This is not a good year to try and sign UFA pitching because he's pretty much the only legit guy on the market so good of AA to go the trade route.

Also I'm really glad Reyes is the first guy seen dawning the Blue Jay colours since there were some questions about how he would deal with the trade after at least primarily choosing Florida for its climate. I wonder if fellow Dominicans Jose Bautista/Edwin Encarnacion had something to do with that.

April can't come soon enough but I'm hoping for health so hard.
Posted Image

#107 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Probably very slim chance, if at all. I believe the asking price from Greinke is 5 years/160 million or something ridiculous like that. This is not a good year to try and sign UFA pitching because he's pretty much the only legit guy on the market so good of AA to go the trade route.

Also I'm really glad Reyes is the first guy seen dawning the Blue Jay colours since there were some questions about how he would deal with the trade after at least primarily choosing Florida for its climate. I wonder if fellow Dominicans Jose Bautista/Edwin Encarnacion had something to do with that.

April can't come soon enough but I'm hoping for health so hard.

Apparently, yes, Bautista heard the same things about Reyes and called him. Said something to the effect of "If you play well here you don't just have fans in one city you have a whole country cheering for you." Paraphrased but there it is. He also said if he didn't believe him that he would have Robbie Alomar call him. Word is that Reyes believed him enough not to need that.

Edit: Keep in mind that Tony Fernandez and Alfredo Griffin are both still heroes in the D.R.

Edited by theminister, 19 November 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#108 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

Yo guys hot off the presses, according to TSN the Jays have hired (ex-manager, Ted Lilly fight guy) John Gibbons:

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=409899

Edited by iLLmAtlc, 19 November 2012 - 11:19 PM.

Posted Image

#109 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

^^^^ Wow! Did not see THAT coming!!!!

The fact that he posted a .500 winning percentage with those teams is surprising. If he has good communication with AA then I see that as a good thing.

Alrighty, then. Let's just see.

#110 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

I would say further to my edit above that Reyes would have certainly grown up very aware of both Fernandez and Griffin. Reyes would have been 8 or 9 when the Jays won their first WS and a year older when Tony won with them. It's easy to forget how big of a superstar Fernandez was in the Dominican at the time. The Jays were always one of the more popular teams there due to the fact that they had the earliest pipeline for talent because of the scouting of Epy Guererro. He was one of the main reasons the team rose to dominance in the late 80s.

In the 80's the D.R. was a SS pipeline. (similar to how Quesbec and Finland have been for goalies). Fernandez would have certainly been known to Reyes as a kid and unquestionably by his coaches. Reyes may have been taught to play like Fernandez his whole young life.

Just a thought anyway.

Edited by theminister, 19 November 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#111 Sidney Crosby.

Sidney Crosby.

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

Yo guys hot off the presses, according to TSN the Jays have hired (ex-manager, Ted Lilly fight guy) John Gibbons:

Was sorta hoping the Jays would go for Ozzie Guillen. There would be no lack entertainment from a clubhouse that has both Brett Lawrie and Ozzie!

Posted Image

#112 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

I would have taken a chance on Sandy Alomar Jr.

I'm not sure Gibbons is the right dude for the gig.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#113 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

Knowing Toronto sports teams they'll still not make the playoffs.

#114 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,303 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

I like JP, but I think you're overrating him. Besides, the Jays have one of the best catching prospects in baseball in Travis D'Arnaud. It's only a matter of time before he takes over behind the plate.

TD isn't quite ready yet, but if the right deal came along, I could see AA move Arencibia and let John Buck handle the bulk catching duties next season.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#115 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

I like JP, but I think you're overrating him. Besides, the Jays have one of the best catching prospects in baseball in Travis D'Arnaud. It's only a matter of time before he takes over behind the plate.

TD isn't quite ready yet, but if the right deal came along, I could see AA move Arencibia and let John Buck handle the bulk catching duties next season.

I think that this year will be very telling as to whether JPA will be a catcher for his career or need a switch of positions. If his core defensive numbers don't improve significantly then he may need to grab a first base mitt or be a permanent DH.

#116 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,303 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

I think that this year will be very telling as to whether JPA will be a catcher for his career or need a switch of positions. If his core defensive numbers don't improve significantly then he may need to grab a first base mitt or be a permanent DH.

His offensive numbers are decent, but I don't know if they're good enough to be a DH and I wonder about having a righty at first who doesn't necessarily give the team a significant offensive upgrade...

I could see AA moving him for a pitching upgrade or possibly an infielder. Meanwhile, Nick Swisher is a pending free agent and although he wouldn't come cheap, is a left handed power hitter who can play first base.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.