#1 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

U.S. government agency drops RIM for Apple

The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board is dropping Research In Motion's (TSX:RIM) BlackBerry smartphone in favour of the new iPhone 5.

The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board is dropping Research In Motion's (TSX:RIM) BlackBerry smartphone in favour of the new iPhone 5.
The board says existing Blackberry devices have been failing both at "inopportune times" and at an unacceptable rate.
The Washington-based National Transportation Safety Board also says in a document that the iPhone 5 will be compatible with Apple iPad tablets already in use by its employees.
The safety board says it requires effective, reliable and stable communications to ensure employee safety in remote locations.
Waterloo, Ont.,-based RIM has lost several other U.S. departments and agencies as clients, including the Defence Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, have also chosen the iPhone.
The news comes before the launch of RIM's new BlackBerry 10 operating system in early 2013, which RIM hopes will enable it to better compete against the iPHone and smartphones with the Android operating system.

http://money.ca.msn....rim-for-apple-1

Posted Image

#2 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

Well, the Blackberry does have lots of problems.. at least mine does. I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. Even though I hate iPhones too :P

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#3 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Well, the Blackberry does have lots of problems.. at least mine does. I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. Even though I hate iPhones too :P

I think Blackberry's fate is almost sealed with all these companies and government agencies dumping them for the competition. Blackberry 10 is their last shot and it will be tough to succeed with the market saturated with Android, Apple and Windows phone. It seems the only people who will get Blackberry are the ones that prefer physical keyboard.

Posted Image

#4 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

No real surprise that America would drop RIM (A Canadian company) for Apple (An American company)

I've never really had an issue with my Blackberry, but then again I basically just use it as a phone and schedule keeper.

Posted Image

#5 lx Birdie xl

lx Birdie xl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Expected.. And Im sure more companies will follow suit.. I love my blackberry.. All I do is text, youtube, fb and use the calender. I want a phone not a toy.

#6 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,987 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Blackberry is best phone in world bro. <3

Now they're gonna go into a depression.

Edited by Armada, 21 November 2012 - 09:32 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#7 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

No real surprise that America would drop RIM (A Canadian company) for Apple (An American company)

I've never really had an issue with my Blackberry, but then again I basically just use it as a phone and schedule keeper.

If that was the case, they would've picked Apple in the first place. I don't think they care which country makes their phones, as long as it is secure and reliable.

Posted Image

#8 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

The BB was seen as the standard for working professionals. It was easy for the IT departments to configure all BBs so they were fit for company use only, and was reliable.

Of course, this was before RIM's demise and their failed products/services.

#9 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

The BB was seen as the standard for working professionals. It was easy for the IT departments to configure all BBs so they were fit for company use only, and was reliable.

Of course, this was before RIM's demise and their failed products/services.

Well we will know in Jan if things turn around with the BB10. It's been getting rave reviews so far that has the share price back up above ten bucks in anticipation.

#10 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Well we will know in Jan if things turn around with the BB10. It's been getting rave reviews so far that has the share price back up above ten bucks in anticipation.

you think it's worth something investing in for the short term?

I'm kinda on the fence, I have a hard time thinking it can make a big enough of an impact on release. Might be worth the short term though.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 21 November 2012 - 10:54 PM.

Posted Image

#11 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

in terms of stock price and market shares, its been doing very very well the last week. It's shares are going up like mad. That being said, last week, Apple has made a huge comeback.

But to be honest, its quite sad to see rim getting dropped like that.... sigh.... But rim can only hang on for that much longer... Android really killed em.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#12 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,977 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

Expected.. And Im sure more companies will follow suit.. I love my blackberry.. All I do is text, youtube, fb and use the calender. I want a phone not a toy.

i hear that alot too.. but that's the problem, BB is limiting themselves from the market.. i know quite a few ppl that loves BB and now are switching to s3 or iphone... they were hardcore BB users and say they will never switch to iphone before.

#13 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

If that was the case, they would've picked Apple in the first place. I don't think they care which country makes their phones, as long as it is secure and reliable.

Well BB was the standard much earlier.

Not surprising though as american companies get massive priority over foreign. This happens in both canada and the US.

Think govnt fleet car programs.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#14 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

I think Blackberry's fate is almost sealed with all these companies and government agencies dumping them for the competition. Blackberry 10 is their last shot and it will be tough to succeed with the market saturated with Android, Apple and Windows phone. It seems the only people who will get Blackberry are the ones that prefer physical keyboard.

The physical keyboard is the only thing I like about blackberry. No doubt their fate is sealed, there's way too many problems with blackberries anyways.

#15 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Lucky for you then. I only use mine for calling and texting. Yet the wheel button doesn't always work and it will freeze and/or die randomly quite often.

#16 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Lucky for you then. I only use mine for calling and texting. Yet the wheel button doesn't always work and it will freeze and/or die randomly quite often.

The wheel? They got rid of trackball a long time ago. Maybe time for an update? :P

I have no issues with my BlackBerry (freezing, or otherwise).

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#17 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,292 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Problem with that is that Android devices and iphones are excellent phones as well. They just also excel at many, many other things as well. Oh noes MORE capability than you think you need, what a terrible thing to have!! :frantic: :rolleyes:

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

jg4428.jpg2s9up7p.jpg

#18 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

That's all I do too. That stuff and Twitter. It's trash. Can't wait to get an Android. How you can say a Blackberry is good for YouTube is beyond me.
Posted Image

#19 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

BB is dying a slow death. One by one everyone is switching away from BB.

#20 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

The wheel? They got rid of trackball a long time ago. Maybe time for an update? :P

I have no issues with my BlackBerry (freezing, or otherwise).

Well, I don't like touchscreens, so the trackball was a good fit for me. Though I can see why they'd get rid of it, it breaks way too easily. Only had it for a few months before it started having problems, and I take care of my stuff.

An upgrade for me will come when there's a phone that isn't touchscreen :P

#21 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

Well, I don't like touchscreens, so the trackball was a good fit for me. Though I can see why they'd get rid of it, it breaks way too easily. Only had it for a few months before it started having problems, and I take care of my stuff.

An upgrade for me will come when there's a phone that isn't touchscreen :P

I meant upgrade to a trackpad. It's way sturdier than the trackball BlackBerries.

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#22 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

Well this is not surprising, BB10 will be great and its going to be a funny day when IPhone users realise it hasn't/won't change. And yet they will keep paying $600+ for a slightly bigger screen.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#23 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,482 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

BB is dying a slow death. One by one everyone is switching away from BB.

Yeah...it sucks... cause I really really hate Apple.

I have had BB's for 10 years now (provided by who I work for) and have never had an issue.
My last BB was still working - it was almost 4 years old and yet the company upgraded me to the BB Curve.
No issues with that one neither (had it for a year now).
It sync's to both my truck & car Nav systems everytime - never get a dropped call...battery lasts 3 days - I am connected to corporate email with it as well.
I don't surf on it, just used for business.
I know some peeps with iPhones and they are charging them throughout the day and over night.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#24 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

I meant upgrade to a trackpad. It's way sturdier than the trackball BlackBerries.

Sorry, that is what I have, I got the names mixed up. The trackpad doesn't work properly for me anyway. I've never had any luck when it comes to phones.

#25 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

you think it's worth something investing in for the short term?

I'm kinda on the fence, I have a hard time thinking it can make a big enough of an impact on release. Might be worth the short term though.

The fact BB10 has been in the making for what 2 years now it can't be much worse. It could be something very short term to invest in but I personally wouldn't take the risk with how BB seemed to fall of the map almost overnight a while back.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#26 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Well this is not surprising, BB10 will be great and its going to be a funny day when IPhone users realise it hasn't/won't change. And yet they will keep paying $600+ for a slightly bigger screen.

BB10 might or might not be great but It will be too late by the time BB10 is released. You have Windows phone starting to become more relevant along with Apple and Android taking the biggest market share. By the time BB10 is released, Windows phones might have close to the same number of apps as iOS and Android. Now who will make apps for Blackberry when there are so many better choices for developers to choose from. They aren't going to waste time making apps for blackberry.

Posted Image

#27 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

BB10 might or might not be great but It will be too late by the time BB10 is released. You have Windows phone starting to become more relevant along with Apple and Android taking the biggest market share. By the time BB10 is released, Windows phones might have close to the same number of apps as iOS and Android. Now who will make apps for Blackberry when there are so many better choices for developers to choose from. They aren't going to waste time making apps for blackberry.

Just out of curiosity, how closely are you following BB10 as well as Windows? Because Windows phones have thus far flopped.

BB10 is the easiest OS to create apps for, and RIM pays developers more dollar for dollar then any other company. It is on pace to have 110K apps available at launch, which by the way happens to be the largest number of apps to ever be available at launch. According to Thorsten Heins, the top 200-600 apps from every region will be available at launch.

Also, keep in mind that while Blackberry's aren't doing to well in North America, in the rest of the world RIM is quite well. 80 Million subscribers. Most people will see that and say something along the lines of "well, sure it developing countries RIM is doing well, but the phones they sell there are cheaper and RIM isn't making money off of them". Sure, that's somewhat true. But RIM charges carries monthly for the use of its BIS servers, which is creating about 1 billion dollars in revenue a month as per the last earnings call.

Also, to address the article, of course people (both consumers and agencies) are going to leave Blackberry at this point. They want something NOW, and the most recent Blackberry is over a year old.

To date, I have not found one person who has been shown the full OS who has had a negative experience. This includes your voted politicians.
Posted Image

#28 lx Birdie xl

lx Birdie xl

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

i hear that alot too.. but that's the problem, BB is limiting themselves from the market.. i know quite a few ppl that loves BB and now are switching to s3 or iphone... they were hardcore BB users and say they will never switch to iphone before.

I will honestly never switch to an iphone.. if anything I will go to the S3.. but it will be a while before I get a new phone anyways. Im content with my Bold 9780

#29 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,987 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Its hardware is better than both the Iphone 5 and Samsung S3.

Not to mention theres been a massive turnout for developers making apps for the Blackberry 10 as Rim is offering compensation for developing apps for their OS. Rims not done, their Stocks just jumped 15% yesterday.

Edited by Armada, 25 November 2012 - 11:09 AM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#30 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Its hardware is better than both the Iphone 5 and Samsung S3.

Not to mention theres been a massive turnout for developers making apps for the Blackberry 10 as Rim is offering compensation for developing apps for their OS. Rims not done, their Stocks just jumped 15% yesterday.

Just out of curiosity, how closely are you following BB10 as well as Windows? Because Windows phones have thus far flopped.

BB10 is the easiest OS to create apps for, and RIM pays developers more dollar for dollar then any other company. It is on pace to have 110K apps available at launch, which by the way happens to be the largest number of apps to ever be available at launch. According to Thorsten Heins, the top 200-600 apps from every region will be available at launch.

Also, keep in mind that while Blackberry's aren't doing to well in North America, in the rest of the world RIM is quite well. 80 Million subscribers. Most people will see that and say something along the lines of "well, sure it developing countries RIM is doing well, but the phones they sell there are cheaper and RIM isn't making money off of them". Sure, that's somewhat true. But RIM charges carries monthly for the use of its BIS servers, which is creating about 1 billion dollars in revenue a month as per the last earnings call.

Also, to address the article, of course people (both consumers and agencies) are going to leave Blackberry at this point. They want something NOW, and the most recent Blackberry is over a year old.

To date, I have not found one person who has been shown the full OS who has had a negative experience. This includes your voted politicians.

In the smart phone market, the number of apps is the number one thing that the majority of people look at (at least in North America). This is the reason why playbook has flopped and it could be the reason why BB10 will flop in the future (in North America). I don't know about their situation outside of NA but it is pretty bad here. Their niche market right now is the people that like to use physical keyboard and BBM. Windows phone is gaining ground and will only gain more market share.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.