The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships

AriGold

There are sure a lot of poor sport losers here; we got beat fair and square, the US goalie was dynamite (Subban was not terrible either) and they capitalized on their chances whereas we did not. Also, I'm betting that the name Corrado would not have been uttered here once if he weren't Canuck property. Tough to play the blame game but I was relatively unimpressed by the coaching of Team Canada and our preoccupation with sending guys off the ice on stretchers (instead of scoring goals) and our insistence on hot dogging after goals (see the game against Russia) clearly angered the hockey gods. Me, I love these tournaments where the whole thing can go south because of one game. Keeps every game exciting.

Sweden with a pretty impressive tourney so far considering all the defencemen they are missing. I thought Kucherov had a really good tournament for Russia. He wasn't as flashy as some of his teammates but he was making things happen every game they played.

I was happy to see Sweden win but the gold medal game would have been pretty exciting to have Russia playing at home against the US.

I don't really know what to expect out of the Bronze game. Will either team put much effort into it? who knows.

Atleast Cherry admitted we lost fair and square, unlike alot of the other's who just raged about loss.

I can see the argument that we develop them and stuff cause we do develop alot of good players for the US, but the US collage/University system also develops alot of good players for us (Bieksa, Toews, Schwartz come to mind)

So I don't think we should complain about it, they do the same for us so it is an even playing field IMO, they won fair and square and that should be the end of it.

Sweden with a pretty impressive tourney so far considering all the defencemen they are missing. I thought Kucherov had a really good tournament for Russia. He wasn't as flashy as some of his teammates but he was making things happen every game they played.

I was happy to see Sweden win but the gold medal game would have been pretty exciting to have Russia playing at home against the US.

I don't really know what to expect out of the Bronze game. Will either team put much effort into it? who knows.

I've said this before but I truly believe Sweden is giving Canada a run at being the best hockey nation. Guaranteed silver here, won gold last year, won the Olympics in 2006, 2 most dominant teams in the NHL in the past while (Canucks, Red Wings) are built off of Swedish players. But the thing that really stands out is the fact that Sweden boasts a population of 4 million people. Compare that to Canada's 33 million, Russia's 140 million and US's 330 million and it's just mind boggling how much talent they are producing for their size.

I've been a hockey fan in des moines iowa my whole life and i can tell you from my point of view the USNTDP has been at its best within the last 5 years. The program is getting more advanced and polished every year. Players go to juniors to hone skills they already possess. For canadians to try and take credit for this teams success is pretty narrow. No doubt the availability of the chl to these players is a big advantage but top end players need top end competition regardless of nationality. Specifically to the people on twitter saying get the americans out, why would you want a lesser brand of hockey throughout the year for a theoretical better WJC result?

Think that's Finland you are talking about, I seem to remember an announcer in the US-Finland pre-tourney game pointing out the stat of per capita NHL'ers and Finland was highest.

Sweden is 9.5 million so still small but huge turnout of NHL'ers

I've said this before but I truly believe Sweden is giving Canada a run at being the best hockey nation. Guaranteed silver here, won gold last year, won the Olympics in 2006, 2 most dominant teams in the NHL in the past while (Canucks, Red Wings) are built off of Swedish players. But the thing that really stands out is the fact that Sweden boasts a population of 4 million people. Compare that to Canada's 33 million, Russia's 140 million and US's 330 million and it's just mind boggling how much talent they are producing for their size.

Honestly, I thought Subban was quite average during WJC selection camp, and although I don't think he should have been cut, I am not sure he should have been the starter. There's no doubt he can play goal, but he had some real shaky moments in this tournament.

Subban looks good when the Canada defense is playing well, but the true test of a goalie is whether or not he can make a big save during a moment of defensive weakness. There were times when the US defense broke down and Gibson bailed out his team, and looking back between the two games, Gibson had to make many more of the 'difficult' stops that Subban did. (Shot quantity doesn't always reflect shot quality)

TSN loved to make a big deal out of Subban's play when Canada was winning, but to be honest, I thought he was just average. I think Canada would be in the same spot if Binnington had played those games. Honestly, I would have liked to have seen Brossoit between the pipes, he was the goalie they shouldn't have cut IMO.

That said ,these are all tough choices, and it's easy to make the 'right' choice in hindsight. I think more people would have fun enjoying the tournament if they watched it for the great hockey as opposed to centering around only their country's team. If you don't take it too seriously, the WJC is a great tournament to watch every year no matter what.

Archived