The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships

AriGold

This is what I hate about these one game knockout tournaments. Canada has a better overall record than the US. Canada is .500 against the US. Canada is playing for a lesser medal than the US because Canada lost the second head to head match up against the States. The States aren't necessarily better but they advance because of when the game was played.

They won based on a single game which was played at a later date. That's the thing. They won when it mattered -- one game. Are the Americans truly the better team? I really don't think so. I think TC would take them in a best of 3 or 5. At least you're allowed a hiccup there.

Don't try and bring this guy down. He's clearly hyped up on this guy. Yet he thinks I'm the one with the rose colored glasses on.

Anton Rodin also had as many points as Neidereiter in the world juniors. Who do you thinks gonna be the better player?

That's why the world juniors have to be taken with a grain of salt. It's easy to hype up prospects here.

There are sure a lot of poor sport losers here; we got beat fair and square, the US goalie was dynamite (Subban was not terrible either) and they capitalized on their chances whereas we did not. Also, I'm betting that the name Corrado would not have been uttered here once if he weren't Canuck property. Tough to play the blame game but I was relatively unimpressed by the coaching of Team Canada and our preoccupation with sending guys off the ice on stretchers (instead of scoring goals) and our insistence on hot dogging after goals (see the game against Russia) clearly angered the hockey gods. Me, I love these tournaments where the whole thing can go south because of one game. Keeps every game exciting.

Never been more disappointed in a Canadian Team. It's not that they lost, because everyone does at one point. It's how they had no heart. Even when we lost last year to Russia we fought to the very last second. This team seemed to give up as soon as they scored their first goal. Subban was awful and everyone else followed him. i don't know how players such as Murphy, Reinhart, Ritchie, McNiel, Lipon got on this team. They are horrible. Corrado and Sproul should have easily made this team. The coach had already made his team before the try outs and he gave the benefit to the doubt that Murphy would play good. But he didn't he was awful the whole tournament. Canada has to re-think how they make their teams. I don't care if we win or lose. I just want to see effort and passion. This team has none of it. With RNH this team probably wouldn't of even made it to semis. Pathetic.

/End of Rant

They won based on a single game which was played at a later date. That's the thing. They won when it mattered -- one game. Are the Americans truly the better team? I really don't think so. I think TC would take them in a best of 3 or 5. At least you're allowed a hiccup there.

Which is something they were talking about on TSN last night. If you're doing really well at something, you're in the 'groove', would you really want to stop your progress and take a break? I wouldn't. I'm not just saying that for the sake of argument. It seems like that break is taking a dump on teams because the last 5 of 7 gold medal winners didn't have a bye to the semis. But I do think it's a little 'silly' how you have a better record than a certain team and you're .500 head to head against that very team yet they're dubbed as 'better' than you are. I've never liked one game knock outs anyway. Always been a fan of at least a best of 3, 5, 7, etc. Obviously for the sake of time, only the best of 3 for the medal games would actually be feasible otherwise this tournament would last for over a month.

What would everyone think if Dale Hunter was the coach next year? I mean, as long as you're already ripping on Spott. I mean look at London's 25-game win streak or whatever that was, and look at what he did to the Capitals last year. Having a bit more defensive look couldn't hurt, looking at the past 4 years of 4 scoring lines. I mean, nothing could really affect us negatively. Also, I'm sure Gaunce would make the team if Hunter was the coach, then we'd all be happy, especially Mr. Reputable.

If you want a good laugh, go check out the first few pages of the Jordan Schroeder draft thread and you'll see DeNiro making virtually the same argument for Schroeder as you are for Gaudreau right now. If Gaudreau were a Canucks prospect, he'd be pumping the hell out of his tires.

2-1 loss to Canada, 2 shots either way makes it a win

2-1 loss to Russia, again an extra save, or powerplay leads to a win, not a loss

They also beat Slovakia better than Canada(9-3 vs 6-3) and Germany (8-0 vs 9-3)

4 shots go in a different way in the Canada and Russia games and the record is 4-0 not 2-2

Honestly, that's a poor way to compare it. What could have happened in a past loss doesn't mean anything. Neither does the goal difference when both teams beat Slovakia and Germany.

What really matters is that the U.S. defence is good, and Canada's is not. That was the difference in todays game.

What would everyone think if Dale Hunter was the coach next year? I mean, as long as you're already ripping on Spott. I mean look at London's 25-game win streak or whatever that was, and look at what he did to the Capitals last year. Having a bit more defensive look couldn't hurt, looking at the past 4 years of 4 scoring lines. I mean, nothing could really affect us negatively. Also, I'm sure Gaunce would make the team if Hunter was the coach, then we'd all be happy, especially Mr. Reputable.

Archived