The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships

AriGold

Never been more disappointed in a Canadian Team. It's not that they lost, because everyone does at one point. It's how they had no heart. Even when we lost last year to Russia we fought to the very last second. This team seemed to give up as soon as they scored their first goal. Subban was awful and everyone else followed him. i don't know how players such as Murphy, Reinhart, Ritchie, McNiel, Lipon got on this team. They are horrible. Corrado and Sproul should have easily made this team. The coach had already made his team before the try outs and he gave the benefit to the doubt that Murphy would play good. But he didn't he was awful the whole tournament. Canada has to re-think how they make their teams. I don't care if we win or lose. I just want to see effort and passion. This team has none of it. With RNH this team probably wouldn't of even made it to semis. Pathetic.

/End of Rant

Well, I called it. Subban's top shelf would come back to haunt us in an elimination game. The team may have played like crap but we could have used a couple big saves to keep this a 2 goal game.

There was no question who the better goalie was after pre tournament and spott decided to go with His Subban hunch anyways.

When goaltending has been our biggest issue over the past few years why would he go with the guy letting in every high wrist shot from the slot.

what bugs me is how the coach pushed his players under the bus. if they were flat that is his fault, his job is to inspire, to give them the tools to have impact. i don't know anything about the coach but my impression is he is a turd....just sayin'

and as for subban, he made some good saves and he was screened on the first two (i went to sleep after the first period) the canadian team was chasing their tail from the first puck drop, maybe nerves? why nerves when they had already won some key games? it was vigilante hockey, no coordinated break out, it looked like lunch time hockey from the canadian team.

the coach needed to call a time out in the first period to regroup his team.

It is one thing to lose but to lose in that fashion was just embarassing, we should have been playing for gold.

thanks for letting me rant. i know they are just kids, i don't blame them for being human, but i do blame the coaching staff cuz fans don't want bronze, we want gold and to say oooh we can go for the bronze now, whoop de do... who cares? i say fire that coach, get some new blood in there ;)

Really tough game to watch. TSN can try to blame it on rust or whatever, but Sweden looked fantastic in the exact same position as us. No excuses for that kind of performance.

- Top line was nowhere near good enough. Nugent-Hopkins had a couple flashes of brilliance but the production needs to be there in a game like this. Drouin was good for a 17 year old but not enough. Scheifele looked more asleep than I was for most of the game and really dragged that line down IMO. Never been a huge fan.

- Not convinced Huberdeau was even dressed for tonight. Absolutely invisible.

- Boone Jenner was one of the lone bright spots for us. Fantastic penalty killer and even if his offense fails to translate at the next level, it's pretty easy to see that he'll be a useful player in the NHL.

- Thought Subban was okay. Pretty tough to blame him for some of the horrid defending in front of him (entire team collapsing right in front of him on the first goal, Ryan Murphy trying to play defense, etc.). Binnington looked very strong and I imagine he'll be getting the nod for the Bronze medal game, but who really knows with Spott.

- As mentioned, the defense was absolutely horrifying. Harrington was definitely the best of them all, but still nothing special. Reinhart/Ouellet/Wotherspoon were okay but again, nowhere near good enough to win. Hamilton looked dazed and confused all tournament long and this game was no different. Murphy's a great puck-mover but it's painfully obvious that he lacks any sort of hockey IQ, especially in the defensive end. Gotta think he's one of the final cuts if anyone else is coaching.

- Very questionable coaching decisions in this game, but we're used to that at this point. MacKinnon still stuck on the fourth line, Murphy being spoonfed as much ice-time as possible, etc. Not to use Spott as a scapegoat for such a lacklustre effort, but he certainly wasn't doing this team any favours.

- USA looked very well prepared and really played a heck of a game. Strong defensive effort and Gibson was stellar in the third period when they needed him the most. Should have had the shutout but apparently international rules allow for goals after the whistle is blown. Whatever.

All in all, probably one of the most disappointing tournaments for a Canadian WJC team. The comparisons to the last lockout team were unfair, but having an NHL-quality player in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins should have propelled us over the top. Instead, you see a team battered by injuries to top players/having players withheld in Sweden making it to the finals in impressive fashion, while the "best team on paper" will be in tough to win Bronze. Again.

I'm not even sure where this Spott comes from but I was worried about his lack of credentials, and the team he selected right from the beginning.

We looked pathetic the entire game and couldn't even string a pass together, or get wihin 15 feet of there net. Saying that I saw their lack of getting around the ice with purpose a problem right from the start.

I have never turned off a a Canadian game before late, late, in the third period ... didn't even watch this one.

Our defence looked like a bunch of Marc-Andre Bergeron's out there. Damit.

They played with no passion or anything how embarrassing and I'm not a fan of the coach either.

I though Schieffle kept bringing down the play of the top line I don't know why the coach couldn't see this.

Corrado should have made it...

Maybe next year we can get a coach who doesn't pick his team before camp starts? He even said Drouin wasn't going to be invited untill his assistant coach convinced him. What a tool. I don't even follow the CHL barely and even I knew Drouin should have got an invite for sure.

I think Huberdeau is a little overhyped, he was outshone by a lot of players the whole tourny.

My top 2 lines would have been

Huberdeau-RNH-Rattie

Drouin-Strome-Mackinnon (I know Mackinnon is a center but his and Drouins chemistry more then make up for it.)

and Binnington would have played.

This is what I hate about these one game knockout tournaments. Canada has a better overall record than the US. Canada is .500 against the US. Canada is playing for a lesser medal than the US because Canada lost the second head to head match up against the States. The States aren't necessarily better but they advance because of when the game was played.

This is what I hate about these one game knockout tournaments. Canada has a better overall record than the US. Canada is .500 against the US. Canada is playing for a lesser medal than the US because Canada lost the second head to head match up against the States. The States aren't necessarily better but they advance because of when the game was played.

Archived