The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships

AriGold

I watched Shinkaruk last night live. Wow, he is the real deal. Entering the zone over and over at top speed. Filthy dangles, great shot. Shootout winner.

Really strong on the puck, not bad defensively, but in a close game he was sent out to score. Enough grit as well to survive. He had Yaworski (6-4 205lbs) from Brandon all over him last night and won the corner battles consistently.

Really hope he can make the team. Easily a top 10 pick in the draft.

Not really a surprise, he hasn't played all that great this year due to his injury, and most of the names of the players that were invited have been extremely impressive this year.

Only guys I could have seen him getting in over were Beauvillier and Camara, and I don't think either of them will make the team in the end anyways.

we better balance the team with some hard hitting guys. in the subway series everytime we were out hitting them, we were in control. everytime we stopped hitting, the russians took over. the same thing can be said about every world juniors ive ever watched... imo if we completely dominate in the physical department, we cant lose.

i really hope that ewanyk is healthy and gets a look

we better balance the team with some hard hitting guys. in the subway series everytime we were out hitting them, we were in control. everytime we stopped hitting, the russians took over. the same thing can be said about every world juniors ive ever watched... imo if we completely dominate in the physical department, we cant lose.

I think Morgan Reilly will make the team over Dumba tbh. Also I think Jenner will be on the third liner and Mackinnion will get a top Six role. Rest of the lineup looks good.

Edit: I'm blind haha sorry. I don't like Dumba as much. Not because he's not a good player, but I'm not the biggest fan of him

Am I the first to post this?

NUGENT-HOPKINS AMONG INVITEES FOR CANADA'S WJHC CAMP

Team Canada's quest for gold began Monday with the announcement of its selection camp roster for the 2013 World Junior Hockey Championship.

Thirty-seven of Canada's top junior-aged players have been invited to take part, including returnees Dougie Hamilton, Scott Harrington, Jonathan Huberdeau, Boone Jenner, Mark Scheifele and Ryan Strome.

Other invitees include Edmonton Oilers centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and 2013 NHL draft prospects Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin of the Halifax Mooseheads. Nugent-Hopkins, who is playing with the AHL's Oklahoma City Barons during the NHL lockout, was among the last nine players cut from Hockey Canada's 2010 World Junior camp.

He is in Edmonton having his shoulder examined, but is expected to join the Canadian team. "It is contingent on his health. At this point I think (the examination) is precautionary," said Scott Salmond, Hockey Canada's senior director of operations. "He played on the weekend and flew in so I think it was always in the plans. Our thoughts is he'll be here on the 10th of December ready to roll."

Click here (http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=81742) for the full selection camp roster.

MacKinnon and Drouin aren't the only players representing the next NHL draft class, as Ottawa 67's forward Sean Monahan, Kamloops's J.C. Lipon and Hunter Shinkaruk of the WHL's Medicine Hat Tigers will be attending camp as well.

Other players up front include Rimouski's Francis Beauvillier, Anthony Camara of the Barrie Colts, Owen Sound's Daniel Catenacci, Victoriaville's Phillip Danault, Ottawa forward Tyler Graovac, Charles Hudon of Chicoutimi, Prince Albert's Mark McNeill, Portland's Ty Rattie, Brett Ritchie and Colton Sissons of the Niagara IceDogs and Plymouth Whalers winger Tom Wilson.

On defence, Mathew Dumba - who was cut from last year's World Junior team - will get another shot, along with Carolina Hurricanes prospect Ryan Murphy of the Kitchener Rangers. Everett Silvertips defenceman Ryan Murray, who played on last year's squad, is unavailable due to an injury.

Also on the blue line are Frank Corrado of the Sudbury Wolves, Blainville-Boisbriand's Xavier Ouellet, Adam Pelech of the Erie Otters, Portland's Tyler Wotherspoon and Derrick Pouliot, Griffin Reinhart of the Edmonton Oil Kings, Moose Jaw Warriors defenceman Morgan Rielly and Ryan Sproul of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

There will be four new faces battling for jobs in goal, including Boston Bruins first-rounder Malcolm Subban of the OHL's Belleville Bulls, Jake Peterson of the Saginaw Spirit, Jordan Binnington of the Owen Sound Platers and Edmonton Oil Kings netminder Laurent Brossoit.

In total, 31 of the players named to the selection camp roster were drafted in either the 2011 or 2012 NHL Entry Drafts, including 14 first-round selections and eight second-round picks.

Camp begins next Monday in Calgary. Canada's National Junior Team will be finalized on Thursday, Dec. 13 and will depart for Europe on Dec. 15 to play two pre-competition games in Helsinki prior to the 2013 World Junior Championship.

Canada will play its first game of the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship in Ufa, Russia on Boxing Day against Finland at 4am et/1am pt, a game that will be broadcast live on TSN.

Canada has medalled at 14 consecutive World Junior Championships, including gold medal performances in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009, silver medals in 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010 and 2011 and bronze medals in 2000, 2001 and 2012.

Defense is going to be a strong suit for Canada this year for sure. They sent the invite to -

Frank Corrado, Toronto, Sudbury (OHL), Vancouver

Mathew Dumba, Calgary, Red Deer (WHL), Minnesota

Dougie Hamilton*, Toronto, Niagara (OHL), Boston

Scott Harrington*, Kingston, Ont., London (OHL), Pittsburgh

Ryan Murphy, Aurora, Ont., Kitchener (OHL), Carolina

Xavier Ouellet, Terrebonne, Que., Blainville-Boisbriand (QMJHL), Detroit

Adam Pelech, Toronto, Erie (OHL), N.Y. Islanders

Derrick Pouliot, Weyburn, Sask., Portland (WHL), Pittsburgh

Griffin Reinhart, West Vancouver, B.C., Edmonton (WHL), N.Y. Islanders

Morgan Rielly, West Vancouver, B.C., Moose Jaw (WHL), Toronto

Ryan Sproul, Mississauga, Ont., Sault Ste. Marie (OHL), Detroit

Tyler Wotherspoon, Burnaby, B.C., Portland (WHL), Calgary

This is a really deep pool of d-men.

Difference is, the actual Canadian team going to Russia is going to be STACKED. Even if we don't play physically, the amount of scoring and fire power we have with the forwards is amazing. We have a PPG NHL player as our 1st line center....and 4-6 guys who could EASILY be playing in the NHL if no lock out.

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele

Ritchie-Strome-Rattie

Drouin-Jenner-MacKinnon

McNeill-Danault-Wilson

Sissons

Rielly-Hamilton

Harrington-Ouellett

Reinhart-Murphy/Sproul/Dumba <---- Only one of these players and my choice is in this order

Pelech <--- provides a punishing factor for games that need it

Subban

Brossoit

Archived