BEASTLY!!!

#2432 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Subban awful? Yes, he was bad first 2 games, but has been a WALL since then. NONE of those goals were his fault and he had no chance.

You know nothing about hockey if you think he played bad.

Honestly, I thought Subban was quite average during WJC selection camp, and although I don't think he should have been cut, I am not sure he should have been the starter. There's no doubt he can play goal, but he had some real shaky moments in this tournament.

Subban looks good when the Canada defense is playing well, but the true test of a goalie is whether or not he can make a big save during a moment of defensive weakness. There were times when the US defense broke down and Gibson bailed out his team, and looking back between the two games, Gibson had to make many more of the 'difficult' stops that Subban did. (Shot quantity doesn't always reflect shot quality)

TSN loved to make a big deal out of Subban's play when Canada was winning, but to be honest, I thought he was just average. I think Canada would be in the same spot if Binnington had played those games. Honestly, I would have liked to have seen Brossoit between the pipes, he was the goalie they shouldn't have cut IMO.

That said ,these are all tough choices, and it's easy to make the 'right' choice in hindsight. I think more people would have fun enjoying the tournament if they watched it for the great hockey as opposed to centering around only their country's team. If you don't take it too seriously, the WJC is a great tournament to watch every year no matter what.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#2433 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I've said this before but I truly believe Sweden is giving Canada a run at being the best hockey nation. Guaranteed silver here, won gold last year, won the Olympics in 2006, 2 most dominant teams in the NHL in the past while (Canucks, Red Wings) are built off of Swedish players. But the thing that really stands out is the fact that Sweden boasts a population of 4 million people. Compare that to Canada's 33 million, Russia's 140 million and US's 330 million and it's just mind boggling how much talent they are producing for their size.

They were really due for some WJC success since last year was only their 2nd gold as hard as that is to believe. Per capita I could see Sweden considered the best hockey nation.

#2434 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

I'm the only person I know in the USA that is aware of the gold medal game

haha make it 2, even though the nearest ice sheet is 40 miles away

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#2435 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Honestly, I thought Subban was quite average during WJC selection camp, and although I don't think he should have been cut, I am not sure he should have been the starter. There's no doubt he can play goal, but he had some real shaky moments in this tournament.

Subban looks good when the Canada defense is playing well, but the true test of a goalie is whether or not he can make a big save during a moment of defensive weakness. There were times when the US defense broke down and Gibson bailed out his team, and looking back between the two games, Gibson had to make many more of the 'difficult' stops that Subban did. (Shot quantity doesn't always reflect shot quality)

TSN loved to make a big deal out of Subban's play when Canada was winning, but to be honest, I thought he was just average. I think Canada would be in the same spot if Binnington had played those games. Honestly, I would have liked to have seen Brossoit between the pipes, he was the goalie they shouldn't have cut IMO.

That said ,these are all tough choices, and it's easy to make the 'right' choice in hindsight. I think more people would have fun enjoying the tournament if they watched it for the great hockey as opposed to centering around only their country's team. If you don't take it too seriously, the WJC is a great tournament to watch every year no matter what.

/=S=/

#2436 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,373 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

germany with the 1st win today ???

#2437 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 72,484 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

@markhmasters
Griffin Reinhart suspended 4 games for high-sticking USA player in SF

307mg00.jpg

#2438 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Woaaaaah that was a very deliberate high-stick to the face but I did not even imagine it being worth a suspension, let alone a 4 game one..

#2439 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

@markhmasters

LOL what a joke, so because of that he probably won't be on the team next year (unless it doesn't count?)

Only in the WJHC is a 2 min high sticking penalty a 4 game suspension.

Edited by Rypien37, 04 January 2013 - 02:52 AM.

Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#2440 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,364 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

@markhmasters

To be honest I have no issue with this.

It seems a bit much but you just can't do stuff like that, and it sends a message that it is unacceptable no matter what the circumstances are (like being in a Blowout)

zackass.png

#2441 vv2

vv2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

wow Does he still get a Bronze medal
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2442 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,364 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

wow Does he still get a Bronze medal

He's apart of the team, so if we win I think he does. lol

zackass.png

#2443 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Only negative is that Murphy will get more minutes, and we lose one of our better defensive defensemen. Hate the idea of Murphy getting top 6 minutes.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2444 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:04 AM

LOL what a joke, so because of that he probably won't be on the team next year (unless it doesn't count?)

Only in the WJHC is a 2 min high sticking penalty a 4 game suspension.

He swung at the guy's face at best accidentally on purpose, and at worst on purpose. Well deserved suspension.

#2445 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

Why has Canada always collapse when they are so close??? Agh.

Why has Canada always collapse when they are so close??? Agh.

On a positive note its nice to see Boston Bruins' prospects struggling in big games. Still pissed that Canada lost but i felt a little better watching Malcolm Subban get pulled.

#2446 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,373 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Draisaitl 5 Latvia 2 ... :towel:

http://www.worldjuni...p/news/ger-lat/

#2447 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Hi
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#2448 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,954 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

On a positive note its nice to see Boston Bruins' prospects struggling in big games. Still pissed that Canada lost but i felt a little better watching Malcolm Subban get pulled.

it's the only quasi-silverish lining... a nickel lining, maybe

#2449 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,954 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

i'm technically in the USA...

#2450 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Haha I'm in Pennsylvania and I have ESPN playing in the background all day everyday they have not mentioned the the Jrs once and the people in Pennsylvania I work and interact with have never herd of such a thing.

World Jrs haha! What the hell is that?

Hockey is pretty much a cult following sport, it's really hard to find someone that can name more than 2 penguins and 1 flyer in the state of Pennsylvania.

So don't sweat it
the people directly linked to hockey are about the only ones that care about the USA's big win. And I have not found one yet.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#2451 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Really wish we, as Canadians, could just suck up the loss and move on. Losing is bad enough, why make it worse by acting like such poor losers.

Nobody complained about the tournaments format when Canada won five straight gold. In 2008 in Pardubice, Sweden beat Canada in the round robin, but Canada won gold in OT. Nobody from Sweden was up in arms, complaining that Sweden had scored more goals on aggregate.

This is the format of the tournament, it isn't a surprise. It is the responsibility of the coach to prepare his players. This was not done.

I will be cheering for Team USA. I like their approach to the game, they play fast and hard and get the job done with the skills they have. They don't have the RNH's or Huberdeau's or Scheiffle's, but they play to their strengths and do it with class. Good luck to those kids.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#2452 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

When Canada was dominating, there was always a bona-fide shutdown dpair as the third pairing. Instead, Spott decided to go with Ryan Murphy, his own player, who is a poor man's Morgan Reilly (of course Reilly had already made the team, making Murphy redundant in the eyes of just about everyone).

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#2453 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,266 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

People are blaming Suban????

Canada spent that game in their own end. Had no jump whatsoever. I don't know if I saw a forechecking hit in the entire first period. Lots and lots of turnovers.

It wouldn't matter who they put in net when you play that crappily in front of him!

#2454 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

People are blaming Suban????

Canada spent that game in their own end. Had no jump whatsoever. I don't know if I saw a forechecking hit in the entire first period. Lots and lots of turnovers.

It wouldn't matter who they put in net when you play that crappily in front of him!

I don't get the blame against Subban, but Spott is starting Binnington in goal tomorrow as per tsn.ca.

EDIT: Spott's entire philosophy (according to Ferraro) has been 'Subban is our guy, we believe in him'. If this has been their philosophy, why is Subban not playing in what is now Canada's most important game? Its as if Even Steve Spott doesn't trust Steve Spott's judgement.

Subban certainly isn't at fault, but my pick would have to have been Laurent Brossoit, who was literally perfect in his games in the selection camp in early December.

Edited by Down by the River, 04 January 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#2455 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Draisaitl 5 Latvia 2 ... :towel:

http://www.worldjuni...p/news/ger-lat/

Happy to hear Germany can finally stay up to play 2 straight years in the top tier. Hopefully this can get Germany to care a bit more about hockey

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#2456 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,671 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Binnington gets the start over Subban tomorrow for the bronze medal game. Canada played a poor game in the semis. A few weak goals on Subban for sure, but the team in front of him didn't help him out at all. Wonder what kind of energy the Russians will have. They don't want to finish off the podium in front of their home fans.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#2457 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,420 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Overall perhaps not, but they were the better team last night and that's all that matters. They were better than us when it counted

Yes, but are they really the better team in general, or just that given night?

Anyway, end of discussion as this will just continue to go in circles :lol:
Posted Image

#2458 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

i'm technically in the USA...

Yeah but it doesn't count because you're Canadian. :P

Really wish we, as Canadians, could just suck up the loss and move on. Losing is bad enough, why make it worse by acting like such poor losers.

Remember this is a Vancouver based hockey forum.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 04 January 2013 - 02:08 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#2459 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,954 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Yeah but it doesn't count because you're Canadian. :P

he said "in the usa" not "american"

and technically I have my citizenship now...still don't self identify as american though.

#2460 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

he said "in the usa" not "american"

and technically I have my citizenship now...still don't self identify as american though.

I'll let you get away with it...

... this time.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.