The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] GDT Wolves vs. Rivermen. 5 pm PST

Ossi Vaananen

+1.

For Schroeder, who was supposedly a top-5 NA skater in 2009, to be this far behind Kadri in terms of career AHL pts/game is very disconcerting to me (he was told by management that he needed to dominate the AHL by becoming a preeminent two-way player in that league) and Kassian's half assed efforts in the defensive aspects of the game have me very irritated with his play as of late because, really, all he's gotta do is expend a little more energy in regaining puck possession when the puck carrier is within his range (to save his teammates 20 seconds of keeping the opposition on the perimetre) instead of saving that energy for offence in the hopes his teammates can regain puck possession for him.

I'm glad all three players were given a wake up call but this better not last for more than 1 game. The message was sent and I think all four (Kassian, Schroeder, Connauton & Sauve) likely got the message about their collective effort level on the GWG.

WTH Schroeder Kassian, Connauton and Sauve scratched? ?? All of these players are our high prospects! WTH. If not even 1 of them can be a game breaker in the AHL, Don't even expect them to make the NHL. Schroeder is a top 6 or bust. Kassian, well at least he can skate and hit, but we need him to be a productive player in the NHL. These picks arent looking too good right now. I know they are young, but around the leauge you start to see other teams 1st round picks, do some damage in the AHL. The only bright spot right now is Rodin's all of a sudden offensive surge in the past 2 weeks, but even that, he needs to do it through the entire season. Our pool of prospects is not looking too good right now. Even Jensen has cooled down. Corrado was a -3 last night.

WTH Schroeder Kassian, Connauton and Sauve scratched? ?? All of these players are our high prospects! WTH. If not even 1 of them can be a game breaker in the AHL, Don't even expect them to make the NHL. Schroeder is a top 6 or bust. Kassian, well at least he can skate and hit, but we need him to be a productive player in the NHL. These picks arent looking too good right now. I know they are young, but around the leauge you start to see other teams 1st round picks, do some damage in the AHL. The only bright spot right now is Rodin's all of a sudden offensive surge in the past 2 weeks, but even that, he needs to do it through the entire season. Our pool of prospects is not looking too good right now. Even Jensen has cooled down. Corrado was a -3 last night.

Answers to your many questions, I didnt watch either game, but i've paid attention.

Q: Why did arniel scratch them

A: They lost the game for themselves with 20 seconds left in the game with horrible defensive play and a complete lack of interest in winning.

Q: Are they able to be traded because of the lockout?

A: Yes, they are in the AHL. Not the NHL. The lockout doesnt stop GM's from negotiating, it stops GM's from talking ABOUT their NHL players, as said, they are in the AHL. (This one is more common sense, I could be wrong.. NHL doesnt make much sense..)

Q: Where is my pie?

A: The cake ate it.

If 7g 5a 12pts in 19gp is the best offensive numbers Schroeder can produce at that level then we are in a serious world of hurt. Honestly, look at the difference in production here:

41g 53a 94pts in his first 101gp at age 21 & 22:

http://theahl.com/st...yer.php?id=2630

vs

28g 28a 56pts in 95gp at the same age of 21 & 22

The bottom line is that Schroeder was drafted because of his offensive skillset but at this stage of his career he is being relied on to produce offence on a nightly basis (ie point per game production) and barely putting up .5pts/game over his past 7gp (pretty much the same rate as the past 95gp) is not really cutting it in a top six role is it? Especially when you're also a -2 during that same span and a -5 in his last 8gp with 4g 2a (none of which appear to be PP pts) meaning that he's been on the ice for 11 even strength/shorthanded goals against in 8gp. Incidentally, what was the losing streak? Four and 1-6-1 in the last 8gp?

And if Kassian's uninspired backchecking and poor Dzone coverage is the best effort he can possibly give us, we are in an even bigger world of hurt because this guy is supposed to be at least a Chris Neil type (if he fails to reach his potential) and when was the last time you saw Neil loafing around the ice not making life miserable for the opposition?

I leave you w/ this message being relayed by Arneil:

“I think the whole team did a great job of sacrificing and committing to the win late in the game,” said Wolves head coach Scott Arniel. “It was real nice to erase some struggles in the third by turning a one-goal lead into two late in the game.”

First he contrasts defensive effort late in the game with the piss poor meltdown the night before and then praises the efforts to press even harder to build on that lead. Sure, it was a win vs crappy team but the bottom line is that a better effort led to better execution which ultimately resulted in a win (incidentally Schroeder was held pointless with a -3 in back to back games vs that exact same crappy team barely two weeks ago). Now it's time for Schroeder and Kassian to do what each of them is expected to do.

Lol at 'blame Arniel' talk continuing AFTER he made significant coaching decisions to secure the win...

Defensive laziness is made to look acceptable with stellar goaltending, which we had, until Lack pulled something that is.

Multiple benchings are a good way to get a team refocused.

Riding the pine is part of development. Part of Cody Hodgson's failure in Vancouver was due to the fact he hadn't faced much adversity in his career.

The Chicago Wolves are also a professional hockey team like the Canucks. Winning is just as important to them than us.

If 7g 5a 12pts in 19gp is the best offensive numbers Schroeder can produce at that level then we are in a serious world of hurt. Honestly, look at the difference in production here:

41g 53a 94pts in his first 101gp at age 21 & 22:

http://theahl.com/st...yer.php?id=2630

vs

28g 28a 56pts in 95gp at the same age of 21 & 22

The bottom line is that Schroeder was drafted because of his offensive skillset but at this stage of his career he is being relied on to produce offence on a nightly basis (ie point per game production) and barely putting up .5pts/game over his past 7gp (pretty much the same rate as the past 95gp) is not really cutting it in a top six role is it? Especially when you're also a -2 during that same span and a -5 in his last 8gp with 4g 2a (none of which appear to be PP pts) meaning that he's been on the ice for 11 even strength/shorthanded goals against in 8gp. Incidentally, what was the losing streak? Four and 1-6-1 in the last 8gp?

And if Kassian's uninspired backchecking and poor Dzone coverage is the best effort he can possibly give us, we are in an even bigger world of hurt because this guy is supposed to be at least a Chris Neil type (if he fails to reach his potential) and when was the last time you saw Neil loafing around the ice not making life miserable for the opposition?

I leave you w/ this message being relayed by Arneil:

“I think the whole team did a great job of sacrificing and committing to the win late in the game,” said Wolves head coach Scott Arniel. “It was real nice to erase some struggles in the third by turning a one-goal lead into two late in the game.”

First he contrasts defensive effort late in the game with the piss poor meltdown the night before and then praises the efforts to press even harder to build on that lead. Sure, it was a win vs crappy team but the bottom line is that a better effort led to better execution which ultimately resulted in a win (incidentally Schroeder was held pointless with a -3 in back to back games vs that exact same crappy team barely two weeks ago). Now it's time for Schroeder and Kassian to do what each of them is expected to do.

Arniel picked a safe team to pull that risky move against. The Rivermen are awful this season, with worse offensive numbers than the Wolves. Jake Allen is the only reason they're in it every night.

If this little benching didn't work, I'm sure everyone on here would be even more frustrated with Arniel. The players that are deserving of benching are guys like Haydar (no goals 6 assists), Ebbett and Desbiens. Last night was the first Wolves game I didn't watch, as I had no reason to (and I couldn't find a feed). Benching our top prospects can't be good for development.

The Sauve hate is also really questionable. Even with the Wolves recent struggles Sauve has only been negative in a game twice this season. The guy is a rock on defense and brings a physical aspect other Wolves defenders don't have.

Benching Schroeder who has 11 points in his last 14 games (he struggled early on) and Kassian who was riding a point streak up until Fridays game does not in anyway boost your offense. I understand Kassian was on for the bad goal against on Friday, but it's been said that Connauton was the one who made the bad play. As well some of you are critical of their point production, in which both are tied for 2nd in team scoring. Kassian was given limited minutes in the 3 games following his suspension, couple that with 2 'no goal' calls against him in that time frame, and he hasn't been inconsistent at all.

The best line up I've seen Arniel ice was something like this:

Pinizzotto - Ebbett - Gordon

Rodin - Schroeder - Kassian

Sterling - Longpre - Davies

Sweatt - Mallet - Miller

Connauton - Tanev

Matheson - Joslin

Sauve - Andersson

Lack

Climie

This line up won them several games, and has a nice balance of vets and devs not to mention having a legitimate scoring threat on every line. I praised Arniel when he iced this line up. I acknowledge that injuries have since clouded the line up, but the complete overhaul and line juggling doesn't lead to any sort of chemistry to build on.

Next game isn't till the 7th vs the Griffins, a good team. We'll see if Arniel is courageous enough to bench his top guys against Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco and Andersson.

Arniel picked a safe team to pull that risky move against. The Rivermen are awful this season, with worse offensive numbers than the Wolves. Jake Allen is the only reason they're in it every night.

If this little benching didn't work, I'm sure everyone on here would be even more frustrated with Arniel. The players that are deserving of benching are guys like Haydar (no goals 6 assists), Ebbett and Desbiens. Last night was the first Wolves game I didn't watch, as I had no reason to (and I couldn't find a feed). Benching our top prospects can't be good for development.

The Sauve hate is also really questionable. Even with the Wolves recent struggles Sauve has only been negative in a game twice this season. The guy is a rock on defense and brings a physical aspect other Wolves defenders don't have.

Benching Schroeder who has 11 points in his last 14 games (he struggled early on) and Kassian who was riding a point streak up until Fridays game does not in anyway boost your offense. I understand Kassian was on for the bad goal against on Friday, but it's been said that Connauton was the one who made the bad play. As well some of you are critical of their point production, in which both are tied for 2nd in team scoring. Kassian was given limited minutes in the 3 games following his suspension, couple that with 2 'no goal' calls against him in that time frame, and he hasn't been inconsistent at all.

The best line up I've seen Arniel ice was something like this:

Pinizzotto - Ebbett - Gordon

Rodin - Schroeder - Kassian

Sterling - Longpre - Davies

Sweatt - Mallet - Miller

Connauton - Tanev

Matheson - Joslin

Sauve - Andersson

Lack

Climie

This line up won them several games, and has a nice balance of vets and devs not to mention having a legitimate scoring threat on every line. I praised Arniel when he iced this line up. I acknowledge that injuries have since clouded the line up, but the complete overhaul and line juggling doesn't lead to any sort of chemistry to build on.

Next game isn't till the 7th vs the Griffins, a good team. We'll see if Arniel is courageous enough to bench his top guys against Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco and Andersson.

Archived