The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prince William's Wife, Kate is Pregnant, Anyone Care?

DonLever

Prince William's wife, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, is pregnant.

The media is going way overboard with the news. CTV national news on Monday, use it as the lead story, eating up 5 minutes of coverage. At the same time, war rages in Syria, tensions tighten in the Middle East with the Palestinean/Israel conflict, bombs going off in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

In North America, unemployment remains high, The Fiscal Cliff looms in the US.

Yet, the pregnancy of Kate, fills the headlines. Hundreds of millions of women give birth every year. So why is there such huge interest in this event? Are we expecting the 2nd coming of Christ?

I "care" on a basic human level that two parents plan on welcoming a new life. Pretty much a "that's nice/good for them" sentiment. Same as any other lucky couple.

That they're royal doesn't matter one iota to me either way. I don't know them in any way shape or form, as such it doesn't really "matter" to me. Beyond this thread it doesn't really even show on my radar.

I care.

It's history unfolding before our eyes, how can it be wrong to appreciate that fact? Do I find the coverage by media over the top? Hell yes, I do. The speculation crap is well....just that, crap.

Do we need to know how many times Kate threw up today? Repeated coverage on what Hyperemesis gravidarum is while we're eating dinner in front of the TV? Where this baby may have been conceived? Speculation on how many days the IV drip may be in place? No, it's ridiculous. But it is what it is........this too shall fade away and media will be on to something else. Perhaps one of the Queen's corgis will require a hip replacement and we'll be subjected to film at 11 on what sort of metal will be used in the joint replacement.

This is good news for a change, history in the making...... and whether we like it or not, a new baby in the Royal family is news.

Posted · Hidden by Captain Bob, December 6, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Captain Bob, December 6, 2012 - No reason given

I care.

It's history unfolding before our eyes, how can it be wrong to appreciate that fact? Do I find the coverage by media over the top? Hell yes, I do. The speculation crap is well....just that, crap.

Do we need to know how many times Kate threw up today? Repeated coverage on what Hyperemesis gravidarum is while we're eating dinner in front of the TV? Where this baby may have been conceived? Speculation on how many days the IV drip may be in place? No, it's ridiculous. But it is what it is........this too shall fade away and media will be on to something else. Perhaps one of the Queen's corgis will require a hip replacement and we'll be subjected to film at 11 on what sort of metal will be used in the joint replacement.

This is good news for a change, history in the making...... and whether we like it or not, a new baby in the Royal family is news.

Archived