147 replies to this topic

#91 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Why should the DJs get all the blame when it was the management of the radio station who approved the call. They could have nixed the call.

If there is any legal or criminal consequences, the management should share the costs.

#92 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Duchess hoax call: radio bosses attack hospital over death of nurse

An Australian station has criticised the hospital where a nurse killed herself after putting through a hoax call about the Duchess of Cambridge, claiming it should examine its own role in her death.

Posted Image

Mel Greig (right) and Michael Christian (left) made the call to London's King Edward VII hospital.

By Steven Swinford, Jonathan Pearlman and Dean Nelson
9:30PM GMT 09 Dec 2012

On Saturday, King Edward VII Hospital made it clear that it blames Sydney-based radio station 2Day FM for the “tragic” death of Jacintha Saldanha after its presenters made the prank call.

On Sunday, the station’s owners refused to apologise for the incident.

Instead, they suggested that Mrs Saldanha may have killed herself because she suffered from depression – a claim denied by her family and friends – and said the hospital should “do its homework”.

Sandy Kaye, a spokesman for Southern Cross Austereo, which owns 2Day FM, said: “No one has looked at the hospital; it is quite easy to blame us. The hospital were very quick to get their statement out. It is much sexier to attack an Australian radio network without having done your homework to find out how much responsibility we actually bear.

“I don’t want to shift the blame. It [the prank call] is much sexier than the issue of depression or talking about what led someone to a suicide … The Australian industry seems to sit quite fairly behind us. It was only supposed to be a harmless prank.”

Detectives from Scotland Yard have contacted their Australian counterparts about speaking to the two radio presenters who made the call, before an inquest into Mrs Saldanha’s death. The radio station is also facing an inquiry by the Australian media watchdog after the broadcast, in which presenters Mel Greig and Michael Christian duped Mrs Saldanha into helping to reveal details about the Duchess’s health.

The mother of two had answered the presenters’ call and put them through to another nurse, who described the Duchess’s condition in detail.
Mrs Saldanha, 46, apparently took her own life after the incident. She was pronounced dead on Friday morning at staff accommodation near the hospital.
On Saturday, Lord Glenarthur, the chairman of the hospital, condemned the hoax as “extremely foolish” and said the station’s “premeditated and ill-considered actions” led to the “humiliation” of Mrs Saldanha and another nurse.
He wrote in a letter to Southern Cross Austereo: “I appreciate that you cannot undo the damage which has been done but I would urge you to take steps to ensure that such an incident could never be repeated.”
In a reply, Max Moore-Wilton, the company, chairman wrote: “As we have said in our own statements on the matter, the outcome was unforeseeable and very regrettable. We are all saddened by the events of the last few days. They are truly tragic … I can assure you we are taking immediate action and reviewing the broadcast and processes involved.”
Mrs Saldanha’s sister-in-law, Irene, also voiced her disbelief that she had killed herself over a prank call.
“I don’t see any reason for suicide,” she said. “The couple [Mrs Saldanha and her husband, Benedict Barboza] got along very well and there was no reason she could have taken her own life for whatever reason. She was a strong woman with growing-up children.”
A hospital spokesman said both nurses concerned had been told they were not to blame and were given full support.
The radio station has claimed that the presenters were in a “fragile” state and were being given counselling.

Edited by DonLever, 09 December 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#93 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,941 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

I agree with the radio station.

Not a funny prank by any means but I don't believe they should have any wrongdoing for it. Nobody could have seen the impact of that on her.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#94 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

Both nurses where told by the hospital they had done nothing wrong?

Im trying to imagine this happening in most businesses/organizations. Seems the opposite of what usually happens when mistakes are made. At best you get the cold shoulder.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#95 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

^ The hospital wouldn't be covering their arses would they? After all it's their word against hers. Nah, couldn't be...
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#96 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

^ The hospital wouldn't be covering their arses would they? After all it's their word against hers. Nah, couldn't be...

Of course. Hence the blame shifting towards the radio station.

Im really "trying" to imagine these nurses were told "not your fault" with the added pressure that this involved the sacred royal family.

Edited by لني, 09 December 2012 - 10:23 PM.

Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#97 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

Of course. Hence the blame shifting towards the radio station.

Im really "trying" to imagine these nurses were told "not your fault" with the added pressure that this involved the sacred royal family.

Bitter bloody reality .. this is one of those tragic incidents where everyone really had the best of intentions .. goes to show us that, even when we mean well, fate and circumstance can play a cruel, and unforeseen, game .. a game where every one involved gets hurt .. how 21st Century ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#98 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

when your a kid or a teenager prank calls are funny, but when you are actually a professional person in the media and you make a prank call, that is just immature and stupid. It is not directly their fault but wow their professionalism is seriously lacking...

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#99 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:40 AM

when your a kid or a teenager prank calls are funny, but when you are actually a professional person in the media and you make a prank call, that is just immature and stupid. It is not directly their fault but wow their professionalism is seriously lacking...

It's called humour. I've heard funny prank calls on radio before. It's not necessarily "immature or stupid" as you put it. The point of radio is to entertain and that's what they were trying to do. Hell, I found it quite amusing when I first read the story.

As I've posted already, there was absolutely no malice in their call and from the interview I've seen them in they are completely gutted. The people calling for them to be fired (or even worse) should be ashamed of themselves.

#100 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,891 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

I stand by my thinking that the hospital would have never been in a situation that "led to the humiliation" of people if calls were properly screened, as they should have been. The nurse did do something wrong if she answered a switchboard that was not part of her regular duties. And, to abruptly transfer a call without adequately verifying the caller's identity? It's a tragic series of events, but no one could have foreseen that it would lead to death. Embarrassment shouldn't - especially in regard to a mother and if she had pre-existing issues that deemed her fragile, why was she even on the job attending to others? The hospital likely dropped the ball on that one, too.

I think the hospital should be reviewing their policies on who they readily pass confidential information to and the process of identification (first).

One life was lost over this...I don't see the need to ruin 3. Things do happen and I think the hospital owns just as much - no, more - responsibility in the decisions of their employees while on the job. And in not recognizing that one nurse, in particular, may have been unstable?

Is there one single person who honestly thinks these DJ's would have done this knowing that someone would kill themselves in the end? I've heard many calls like this (CFox does it all the time)....but they are shut down as quickly as they're started and that should have been the case here. A bit of harmless fun that, unfortunately, went too far....but that's because the hospital receiving the call let it.

Posted Image

#101 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

^^^Couldn't agree more. Yes, prank calls are low brow, but's that's it. And majority of radio stations in the world have done this. Absolutely not their fault that the nurse committed suicide.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#102 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,386 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

It's called humour. I've heard funny prank calls on radio before. It's not necessarily "immature or stupid" as you put it. The point of radio is to entertain and that's what they were trying to do. Hell, I found it quite amusing when I first read the story.

As I've posted already, there was absolutely no malice in their call and from the interview I've seen them in they are completely gutted. The people calling for them to be fired (or even worse) should be ashamed of themselves.

Absolutely right.

99.9% of prank calls, people think are funny. Now, when we have a situation where someone commits suicide (despite the abscence of a clear connection to the call) people are calling the act immature and unprofessional, or are calling for the firing of the callers.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#103 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

British police have reportedly launched an investigation and Australian police are cooperating.

British police say they have contacted Australian authorities about a possible investigation into an Australian radio station's hoax call to a U.K. hospital.

The callers impersonated Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles and received confidential details about the former Kate Middleton's medical information. The call was recorded and broadcast.

The prank took an ugly twist Friday with the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha, a 46-year-old mother of two, three days after she took the hoax call.

Police have not yet determined Saldanha's cause of death, but people from London to Sydney have been making the assumption that she died because of stress from the call.

The disk jockeys involved have been suspended indefinitely.

Australian police Sunday confirmed they had been contacted by London police and said they would cooperate.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#104 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,386 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

Do they have a suicide note that says she did it because of the prank call? If not, I think it's pandering and a waste of time.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#105 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

So...the radio station shouldn't be at fault since radio stations have always made prank calls before???

Seems to me that was the same saying about kids getting bullied not too long ago. That they just needed to get a thicker skin. Times have changed.

#106 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Absolutely right.

99.9% of prank calls, people think are funny. Now, when we have a situation where someone commits suicide (despite the abscence of a clear connection to the call) people are calling the act immature and unprofessional, or are calling for the firing of the callers.

"People" think 99.9% of everything is funny.
"People" think 1000 ways to die and Dumbest stuff on wheels is funny.
"People" think others slipping on ice is funny and every once in a while someone cracks their head and dies, and "people" will say "Oh, maybe it wasn't that funny that time, but usually it is."

I think pranking a Hospital should be illegal in the same way pranking 911 is illegal.
Try pranking 911 and see how funny that turns out.
These people have serious and stressful jobs and should never need to worry about being the butt of some idiots prank.

#107 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

I can see it all now .. DJ doing hard time .. the crime .. PRANKING!!! .. don't mess with DJ Dan .. he'll Saran Wrap yer toilet seat!!

Edited by Tearloch7, 10 December 2012 - 08:23 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#108 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,386 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

I think  pranking a Hospital should be illegal in the same way pranking 911 is illegal.
Try pranking 911 and see how funny that turns out.
These people have serious and stressful jobs and should never need to worry about being the butt of some idiots prank.

A noble sentiment. However, until such a time that making prank calls to a hospital is deemed illegal, I have a hard time seeing these two being punished by the courts.

BTW: Which courts would have jurisdiction in this hypothetical case? British? Australian? Would the Brits seek the extradition of the perps?

#109 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,386 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

dp

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 10 December 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#110 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

RUP
Oh I don't expect anything to happen like that, more likely it is a crime in Canada and Australia to impersonate the Queen, but I do not care enough to look it up. Probably punishable by a week in stocks in the town square.
I think I heard the lady prankster crying on the radio this morning, and they may have been fired.
either way there is a reason I do not listen to the Q, Fox or Jack and it has more to do with not wanting to listen to "Radio Personalities" than it does having to listen to the music.
It would probably be better for all concerned if they get fired, nothing more. A fresh start would be good for them at this point.

#111 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

I can see it all now .. DJ doing hard time .. the crime .. PRANKING!!! .. don't mess with DJ Dan .. hell Saran Wrap yer toilet seat!!

A possible offence would be under section 55 of the UK Data Protection Act, 1998 that makes it an offence for third parties, such as hackers and impersonators, outside the organisation to obtain unauthorized access to the personal data of a person held by that organization.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#112 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,386 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

A possible offence would be under section 55 of the UK Data Protection Act, 1998 that makes it an offence for third parties, such as hackers and impersonators, outside the organisation to obtain unauthorized access to the personal data of a person held by that organization.

Hmmm....sounds like a tough sell to me, 'Coaster.

Would not the second nurse's voluntarily providing the information constitute "authorization"?

Edited by RUPERTKBD, 10 December 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#113 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hmmm....sounds like a tough sell to me, 'Coaster.

Would not the second nurse's voluntarily providing the information constitute "authorization"?

No.

#114 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,386 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

No.

Well, you're the barrister, but I still don't like their chances of convicting these two of any crime.

#115 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Well, you're the barrister, but I still don't like their chances of convicting these two of any crime.

The offence is quite simple. If you impersonate someone (or hack into a system) and obtain private data to which you are not entitled by virtue of that ruse, then the offence is complete.

55 Unlawful obtaining etc. of personal data.

(1) A person must not knowingly or recklessly, without the consent of the data controller—

(a) obtain... personal data or the information contained in personal data,

#116 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

RUP
Oh I don't expect anything to happen like that, more likely it is a crime in Canada and Australia to impersonate the Queen, but I do not care enough to look it up. Probably punishable by a week in stocks in the town square.
I think I heard the lady prankster crying on the radio this morning, and they may have been fired.
either way there is a reason I do not listen to the Q, Fox or Jack and it has more to do with not wanting to listen to "Radio Personalities" than it does having to listen to the music.
It would probably be better for all concerned if they get fired, nothing more. A fresh start would be good for them at this point.

Apparently DJ's Michael Christian and Mel Greig have now been fired and the radio station says it is stopping all future prank calls.
http://www.mlive.com...e_banned_a.html

#117 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

So...the radio station shouldn't be at fault since radio stations have always made prank calls before???

Seems to me that was the same saying about kids getting bullied not too long ago. That they just needed to get a thicker skin. Times have changed.

Oh my God, you'd totally be right. If it weren't for the fact that it's not the same thing or even closely comparable to it.

The radio station aren't at fault because it was a harmless, malice free joke. Now, if they'd called up the hospital and been verbally abusive to the poor woman, then I'd acknowledge your point. But they didn't and there was nothing to suggest that what they did would lead to what happened. It's hugely unfortunate but not the fault of the DJ's.

#118 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Oh my God, you'd totally be right. If it weren't for the fact that it's not the same thing or even closely comparable to it.

The radio station aren't at fault because it was a harmless, malice free joke. Now, if they'd called up the hospital and been verbally abusive to the poor woman, then I'd acknowledge your point. But they didn't and there was nothing to suggest that what they did would lead to what happened. It's hugely unfortunate but not the fault of the DJ's.

And yet they knowingly impersonated individuals and by virtue of that ruse were given private data to which they were not entitled.

#119 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Apparently DJ's Michael Christian and Mel Greig have now been fired and the radio station says it is stopping all future prank calls.
http://www.mlive.com...e_banned_a.html

Oh now it's just gotten bloody stupid. Fired? But I guess you have to keep your advertisers happy. Not to mention a world screaming for blood over a damned prank call. Unbelievable.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#120 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

And yet they knowingly impersonated individuals and by virtue of that ruse were given private data to which they were not entitled.

Whether they broke data protection laws or not isn't relevant regarding whether they are directly responsible for the nurse's death. They didn't set out to cause harm and in my opinion are not.

If they broke the Data Protection Act (or whatever it is now) then that's a separate issue that will no doubt be dealt with.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck, 10 December 2012 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.