27 replies to this topic

#1 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

So I've completely accepted the fact that there are no easy courses/GPA boosters at UBC. It's more to do with how interested you are in the subject. I'm looking for interesting electives, because quite frankly, I absolutely hated EOSC 114 (the so called GPA booster).

What was you're most enjoyable course to take? Or Professor?
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#2 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,052 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

I took a religious studies class which I thought was pretty interesting; the people in the class were pretty open to talking and chill b/c the prof said she wanted that and so it's usually pretty lax when we have discussions (not that they're not productive, but the atmosphere is pretty relaxed while the discussions were pretty thought-provoking).

Can anyone give feedback about the wine class? I've seen people take it and it doesn't seem too difficult to memorize and sample different wines and some facts about them.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#3 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

I took a religious studies class which I thought was pretty interesting; the people in the class were pretty open to talking and chill b/c the prof said she wanted that and so it's usually pretty lax when we have discussions (not that they're not productive, but the atmosphere is pretty relaxed while the discussions were pretty thought-provoking).

Can anyone give feedback about the wine class? I've seen people take it and it doesn't seem too difficult to memorize and sample different wines and some facts about them.

Do you remember which religious studies course it was exactly? Sounds interesting.

I know a friend that took that. I can ask him and see what he says.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#4 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

ECON 101/102 GATEMAN!!! Never fell asleep in his lectures, died on his exams.

But seriously intro Econ, while it may not be easy, I find it to be very useful to take.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan, 17 December 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#5 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

ECON 101/102 GATEMAN!!! Never fell asleep in his lectures, died on his exams.

But seriously intro Econ, while it may not be easy, I find it to be very useful to take.

Haha, already have Econ 101/102 as it is required for Sauder. Really interesting courses.
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#6 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Take a political science course then! It's really thought provoking and not that difficult to understand. Chris Erickson is a really good prof. I've heard really good things from Farkasch (sp?) also.

#7 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Do you remember which religious studies course it was exactly? Sounds interesting.

I know a friend that took that. I can ask him and see what he says.

Whatever it was, I can bet it wasn't Philosophy of Religion with Prof Russell. Never had another course that was so bad I had to drop it despite the prof being highly rated. Although for a bit I paid him back for wasting my time by driving him slightly mad. After some of my answers on a quiz, he ranted during almost a week's worth of classes. He had no idea what I looked like so he couldn't actually be angry with me and just sort of imploded with rage. It was definitely fun to watch.

#8 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Just pick whatever language you want to get better at and take those.

Heck, I took enough that if I wanted a degree in arts I could probably get one in under a year.

Lots of women in those courses to boot.

#9 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Haha, already have Econ 101/102 as it is required for Sauder. Really interesting courses.

Take Comm electives then. If you like macro and micro econ then you pretty much can't go wrong.

Also stay away from languages. Unless you're pretty decent at French, they're all gonna eat up your time with vocab memorization and thumbing through a dictionary to do even the smallest assignments. I made the mistake of taking Hindi.

Edited by nateb123, 17 December 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#10 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,405 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

why not cut out the middle man and just look through the class options yourself and choose ones that may cater to your personality and interests?

assuming you have a personality and interests?

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#11 luongo_4_life

luongo_4_life

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

can anyone recommend some easy/interesting arts courses that are 300+ level

Edited by luongo_4_life, 17 December 2012 - 11:59 PM.

#12 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

why not cut out the middle man and just look through the class options yourself and choose ones that may cater to your personality and interests?

assuming you have a personality and interests?

I'm terribly sorry if my thread has offended you. I will, from this point forth, never ask anyone on CDC about there personality and interests. :rolleyes:
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#13 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

I'm terribly sorry if my thread has offended you. I will, from this point forth, never ask anyone on CDC about there personality and interests. :rolleyes:

If that's what it's like being old, I don't wanna be.

On topic: Jared Taylor - taught BIOL 112, a hard course, but he made it fun.

#14 allons-y

allons-y

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

Take a political science course then! It's really thought provoking and not that difficult to understand. Chris Erickson is a really good prof. I've heard really good things from Farkasch (sp?) also.

I had Robert Farkasch for an intro to International Relations course. He's an engaging speaker and the course itself was pretty interesting.
Posted Image
I make hockey sigs. Send me a request.

#15 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,474 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

I had Robert Farkasch for an intro to International Relations course. He's an engaging speaker and the course itself was pretty interesting.

Yeah I heard he worked for U.S intelligence.

#16 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

Well I go to UBCO, but I just gotta throw out that the Chem prof Edward Neeland is just an awesome professor. If any of you go to UBCO and are going into 1st year Chem, definitely try to get in his lecture. He's engaging and funny, and challenges you deservedly...no way you can fail if you attend all his lectures and do the quizzes.

Wasn't until university when I could really appreciate how teacher's affect your education...on both ends of the spectrum. Had some truly crappy profs.
Posted Image

#17 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

My favourite elective (and probably favourite class overall too) was Environmental Science 200. Amazing profs and guest speakers, extremely interesting content, and no final exam. It's no GPA booster but it's not too hard to get a good mark either. And it might change the way you see the world.

#18 Perfect From Now On

Perfect From Now On

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

can anyone recommend some easy/interesting arts courses that are 300+ level

geog 310, pre reqs but theyll waive them, and they're really not necessary

Best course i've ever taken and really easy. One paper to write and a midterm and final that's it. For the midterm and final they spell out exactly what you need to know from each reading (articles) and there's no textbook so you'll save some money. take it with Bakker/Moore. Seriously the most interesting class i've ever taken, but you do need to go to most lectures, but you'll want to anyways.

Anth 326 - Primatology.

Took this last semester as an elective, pretty interesting class, there's lots of material but the exams were really easy and not very in depth. Some of the lectures can be boring but the material is interesting, I half assed it and got an A, so its pretty easy.
Posted Image

Paradise with pines and ice.

#19 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

I don't know about UBC van as I'm out here at UBCO, but if you're into the making of film at all, I'm sure there's a film studies course (it was FILM 100 here). I personally found it boring as all hell, but hey, everybody has different interests. I still ended up with a 90 and probably went to 9 lectures throughout the entire semester (even after missing almost every movie on wednesday - 2 and a half hour movie classes on wednesday).

Well I go to UBCO, but I just gotta throw out that the Chem prof Edward Neeland is just an awesome professor. If any of you go to UBCO and are going into 1st year Chem, definitely try to get in his lecture. He's engaging and funny, and challenges you deservedly...no way you can fail if you attend all his lectures and do the quizzes.

funny, I just had Neeland this semester. Have Vaisius next semester, and hear he's a great prof as well.
Another thing for UBCO students.. stay the hell away from teresa wrzesniewski. She teaches Bio and Physics, and dear god is she awful. Impossible to understand in lectures, not worth going, might as well learn off the powerpoints she posts online.
On the bright side, her tests are fairly easy and she is actually helpful during office hours. She knows her stuff well, but she's a terrible professor when it's not one on one.

Edited by schlaBAM, 18 December 2012 - 04:09 PM.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#20 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

If you need to take a Biology elective, try and take a course with Shona Ellis. She's the Associate Head of Biology, and is super, super nice, and very enthusiastic about the subject matter.

She teaches botany, and specializes in Bryology (the study of mosses, liverworts, and hornworts).

A lot of her courses include lab components and optional field trips to various locations which she usually personally takes you on.

I took BIOL209 (Non-vascular plants) with her. Most people don't find this subject particularly interesting, but Shona makes it fun. The course wasn't very difficult either. If you enjoy cutting stuff up and looking at them under microscopes, you'll enjoy tyhe lab component as well.

RIP LB RR PD

#21 CCF4E

CCF4E

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

If you need to take a Biology elective, try and take a course with Shona Ellis. She's the Associate Head of Biology, and is super, super nice, and very enthusiastic about the subject matter.

She teaches botany, and specializes in Bryology (the study of mosses, liverworts, and hornworts).

A lot of her courses include lab components and optional field trips to various locations which she usually personally takes you on.

I took BIOL209 (Non-vascular plants) with her. Most people don't find this subject particularly interesting, but Shona makes it fun. The course wasn't very difficult either. If you enjoy cutting stuff up and looking at them under microscopes, you'll enjoy tyhe lab component as well.

Nice to hear, I have 210 with her next semester. :P
Posted Image

Ehrhoff isn't from europe....

#22 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Anyone ever take ADHE 412? Or any of the ADHE courses?
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#23 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Anyone take PHIL 120 with Burkholder?

#24 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

Don't do it, probably the worst prof I ever had in philosophy. The statement that there are no gpa boosters at ubc are false, you're just not looking close enough. I've taken at least half a dozen courses with 80%+ averages.

#25 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

Don't do it, probably the worst prof I ever had in philosophy. The statement that there are no gpa boosters at ubc are false, you're just not looking close enough. I've taken at least half a dozen courses with 80%+ averages.

I've heard that he is horrible. Is it true that there are several online "exams" that you have to do?

What would recommend as a GPA booster? I know it's different for everyone.

#26 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

Just pick whatever language you want to get better at and take those.

Heck, I took enough that if I wanted a degree in arts I could probably get one in under a year.

Lots of women in those courses to boot.

Yup.

Or at least something you are interested in or that will help you in the future.

I dont understand wasting time with gpa boosters.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

View Postnhlconspiracy, on 21 April 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#27 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Anyone?

#28 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,546 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Wait. School, favourite, interesting, all in the same sentence?
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.