The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NRA calls for an armed police officer at every US school

-Vintage Canuck-

I dunno about you but I'm having a discussion. I'll let Charlie Sheen do all the "winning".

Heh, put simply, it's unorthodox for an amendment to take away a right.. and while I can't see the high courts ever striking down the second amendment (if that's even possible), if Obama can replace Kennedy, Scalia, or Thomas (Roberts and Alito aren't going anywhere any time soon), any one of those three, I see it likely that major gun restrictions including specific weapon type bans will be allowed undoing the Heller case.

The incidence of police killing someone illegally also happens.

In this case, it was a military officer.

Looks like you might have personally justified no police either.

Undoing prohibition..

The amount of states that might actually vote yay to toss the second amendment.. less than 10 very likely. Of the 50 states, they need what, 38'ish states to amend the constitution.. along with a supermajority of both Congressional chambers.

Yeah, not gonna happen.

Statistics thrown around to day:

USA ,, home to 5% of the worlds population has 50% of the worlds guns

USA .. home to 130,000 schools plus 6,000 Universities .. 136,000 schools with an average annual "security cost" of say $80,000 per year .. total cost of +/- $11 billion .. sounds like it should be funded directly by the top 2%??

NRA annual budget is +/- $200 million .. will they buy the guns for the program?

Well, to think about it logically, bank robbers don't go to banks to shoot people, they go to rob them. If a bank robber does his job right, he makes off with the money without ever having to pull the trigger. If the guard does his, he prevents the robber from getting the money or getting away, hopefully without shots fired as well. Not a shot needs to be fired for either side to be successful at their 'job' in either case.

By contrast, putting armed guards in schools is not meant to prevent people robbing them, but rather prevent people from killing the teachers, students, etc. In any of these events, no person goes into the school to not fire upon people, and the result is often either the shooter killing themselves or being shot by police. A school shooting situation isn't likely to end up with the guard disarmed and no shots fired from then on, but rather the guard would be shot and then the shooter going on as if there wasn't a guard to begin with. The guard would also be much less likely to just put down his/her weapon in hopes of a non-violent end knowing the shooter's plan is to kill people, particularly children.

Continuing that, the amount of people who would have to be hired (likely with low pay compared to and armed bank guard since there's no money for education, let alone guards) probably wouldn't suggest a high quality of person prepared to cover a building with multiple entrances, plenty of spots in which to hide and a huge square footage. The possibility of the quality of shots fired likely decreases, and the possibility of unnecessary shootings increases due to quality of training, type of situations, people that are being protected, etc.

Consider it more of a situation like a convenience store robbery. A number of stores have weapons behind the counter, and even if they don't shootings still happen as the robbery becomes confused and the robber or worker becomes stressed.

Statistics thrown around to day:

USA ,, home to 5% of the worlds population has 50% of the worlds guns

USA .. home to 130,000 schools plus 6,000 Universities .. 136,000 schools with an average annual "security cost" of say $80,000 per year .. total cost of +/- $11 billion .. sounds like it should be funded directly by the top 2%??

NRA annual budget is +/- $200 million .. will they buy the guns for the program?

The concerning issue is that, a gunmen would go to a school to pull a trigger and wouldn't care too much about who he/she shoots while the armed guard has to find the line of sight. It does make the situation very dangerous. The point i'm trying to make is that the people from the other side would say guns can be used for self defence and we should arm good people with guns. But its never that simplistic.

The one example i can think of is the shooting of the democratic senator(Arizona i believe). Apparently there were a couple of people in the crowd with handguns but couldn't fire back because of the chaos that followed.

An armed guard wouldn't work for the NRA, and chances are this guard would go through a lot more scrutiny in training and backgrounds than the NRA would want. I don't see how armed guards at a school are a victory for the NRA. Given their citation on their Twitter of Israeli teachers equipping guns, it seems they would (like me) prefer teachers be armed. The guard thing obviously was a compromise for them ( :lol:) because the concept of additional law enforcement over personal accountability is more against their line of thinking.

I find the video game and culture of violence argument so dumb. Like you said, every other country has the same video games, and imports violence into their culture in the form of movies and television.

These arguments are used by pro gun lobbyists, and are simply meant to divert attention away from the real issues. American youth are the same as any kids around the world.

So when all things are equal, you have to look at what the differences in American society are. And really the only differences are the ability to obtain weapons. That seems pretty obvious to me, I don't see why it wouldn't be to everyone.

People want to equip teachers with guns? Are those teachers also going to be equipped with tactical bullet proof gear from head-to-toe just like the mass murderers in many of these shootings? Because if not, I can't see the staff being too effective against assailants covered in armour. Under pressure, moving target, not much to shoot at....I dunno....that would be a tough shot for marine, let alone a school teacher.

People want to equip teachers with guns? Are those teachers also going to be equipped with tactical bullet proof gear from head-to-toe just like the mass murderers in many of these shootings? Because if not, I can't see the staff being too effective against assailants covered in armour. Under pressure, moving target, not much to shoot at....I dunno....that would be a tough shot for marine, let alone a school teacher.

Archived