The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A 48-game season is detrimental to the Canucks

RAMBUTANS

I live in bc and work in Pennsylvania I fly across the continent all the time, most of the time in coach. I can still function

That's all good, but I don't think you're a professional athlete and "functioning" at that level is something quite different than a regular job.

I am so sick of everyone crying about the travel, what about Detroit or Winnipeg? and we are talking about a 4hr plane ride big deal.

I live in bc and work in Pennsylvania I fly across the continent all the time, most of the time in coach. I can still function

These guys take a 4 hour flight to Boston in absolute luxury and we are suppose to feel sorry for them? It's not like they carry any bags or run around trying to make connections, they lay down and sleep or play poker with a grease ball.

How is it detrimental? Most people thought the season would be lost anyways...I'd just be glad to watch hockey.

Besides,

If we tank, and have a slow start...the better our draft pick will be! :)

I'm hoping for Mantha, or Lipon in the 1st, Carrier/Roy in the 2nd, and Fitzgerald in the 3rd :)

The Canucks will win. I dono when, but they will and every game we play brings us closer to our first cup , so if you want optimism there it is.

If you want pessimism were going to lose a lot more cups than we win and every game we play brings us close to heart ache and defeat.

So this debate is really pointless as we can speculate our whole lives as to what might happen, instead of living in the moment and appreciating what is happening.

However the truth is having something to look forward too and work towards is why we do what we do. That sense of accomplishment when we complete our goals is the addiction.

Anyway you spin it is your choice, my spin is a shorter season gives us the best opportunity to win a cup this year as opposed to no season at all where no cup is awarded so let's play!

You really think they are plastered to their couches? I know the Sedins, Raymond, Hansen, Schneider and Weise aren't. And you try hunting... David Booth is in tremendous shape. Higgins you don't have to worry about and Luongo wants to win back his job. Everyone else has taken cues from the Sedins. I bet we are the fittest team in the league when the season starts.

Honestly, I don't think I will even be into this season much, if the canucks get eliminated in the playoffs won't really bother me. To me, I want the Canucks to win in a full season, the true grind and roller coaster of emotions.

Do you fly to Pennsylvania work for a few hrs and fly to another city to work for another few hours spend a night at the hotel and then fly to another city? Or do you go to Pa. stay there for an extended time and come home to Vancouver on your days off?

it is an issue. The team spends millions on attempts to mitigate the affects of travel by hiring sleep doctors to psychiatrists. Just look what Team Canada did for the Juniors team this year. Any one who has ever been on an air plane can tell you jet lag is real and traveling to different time zones affects your sleep patern. Travel is a huge issue.

Would you rather be NYR who is a 1 or 2 hr bus ride to most of their division games or Canucks who's closest trip is Calgary. Would you rather drive home a 2 hr bus ride and sleep in your own bed or sleep in a hotel room hundreds of miles away.

Also playing a sport at world class level is a lot different than waking up and going to a conference. And then having to do it again the next night after another plane ride can get pretty hard on the body.

I can see why you would mention that, and it's not all that crazy... But remember, we are still an elite team. Not just in our division, but the conference too. So we have a very good chance of making the playoffs, and that's really all the chance we need It apparently doesn't matter how many times we finish 1st in a standing, if we don't go all the way. So let's just get in there and prove what we can do!

You are over rating it and I am under rating it i guess

NY is a bus ride to New Jersey and Long Island, Pitt, Philly, Boston are still a plane ride. Do you honestly think you can take a bus from pitt to philly? haha. look at chicago, nash, dal, actually, 90% of the league cant take a bus to any game!

It's not like its a crazy disadvantage, you make it sound like they play a home and home with the florida panthers every other day.

The kings and ducks have won cups.

Calgary is a 45 min plane ride in a luxurious private jet. Vancouver is an extra 45 min plane ride past Calgary and they are in the same division. this extra 45 mins is making this huge difference?

And god forbid if they have to go from one luxurious hotel to the other in back to back games

Life is hard playing a game you love for millions of dollars while traveling around North America.

Worst excuse ever, right up there with my dog ate my homework. Or I got chlamydia from a public toilet seat, baby I swear!

Except the difference in time zones becomes a factor for the Canucks in their travel but, in most of these cases, it doesn't.

Sorry but 48 games isn't a season. Not interested in watching. Hopefully the Canucks will go 0-48 and get a good pick.

Its funny how everyone bitches and complains about the NHL and NHLPA taking all the fans for granted and then as soon as the lockout is "maybe" over, everyone clamours back.

Anyone who jumps back on board to a 48 game season has no reason to b!tch next time a lockout/strike happens because you are part of the problem.

So you're not interested in watching hockey but you'll moan on an NHL message board instead? If I'm going to take the time to participate, you'd better believe that will include watching the games once hockey returns. If you're packing it in, do so. But your post means you're not. I'll jump back on board for selfish reasons, that are mostly centered around the fact that my life in the winter is pretty empty without hockey.

So you're not interested in watching hockey but you'll moan on an NHL message board instead? If I'm going to take the time to participate, you'd better believe that will include watching the games once hockey returns. If you're packing it in, do so. But your post means you're not. I'll jump back on board for selfish reasons, that are mostly centered around the fact that my life in the winter is pretty empty without hockey.

Hate to break it to you OP. Every team is in the exact same position. LOL. Imagine being on the Kings, riding high from their championship and have to wait an extra 4 months to share their cup with their fans?? The momentum will have dropped too.

Archived