Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

A 48-game season is detrimental to the Canucks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#31 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,201 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

You are over rating it and I am under rating it i guess
NY is a bus ride to New Jersey and Long Island, Pitt, Philly, Boston are still a plane ride. Do you honestly think you can take a bus from pitt to philly? haha. look at chicago, nash, dal, actually, 90% of the league cant take a bus to any game!
It's not like its a crazy disadvantage, you make it sound like they play a home and home with the florida panthers every other day.
The kings and ducks have won cups.
Calgary is a 45 min plane ride in a luxurious private jet. Vancouver is an extra 45 min plane ride past Calgary and they are in the same division. this extra 45 mins is making this huge difference?

And god forbid if they have to go from one luxurious hotel to the other in back to back games

Life is hard playing a game you love for millions of dollars while traveling around North America.

Worst excuse ever, right up there with my dog ate my homework. Or I got chlamydia from a public toilet seat, baby I swear!

Except the difference in time zones becomes a factor for the Canucks in their travel but, in most of these cases, it doesn't.

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#32 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

If it is a drag race season I think we have the team to pull it off. We would need a stellar training camp and someone to fill that huge hole on the second line for Kes other than that I think we could do some serious damage.

That is one big problem that no one has addressed. Our 2nd line is in shambles without Kesler. Schroeder is simply not ready, especially with only 48 games to adjust.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#33 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

That is one big problem that no one has addressed. Our 2nd line is in shambles without Kesler. Schroeder is simply not ready, especially with only 48 games to adjust.

I don't think the team you see now will be the same to start the season. I think we will have a trade after the lockout ends.

#34 cs2016

cs2016

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Also, you have to consider the fact that the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Lu and other Canucks have children who have to go to school and moving to say Europe would be quite a hassle and disruption to their families' lives.

#35 Stelar

Stelar

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Sorry but 48 games isn't a season. Not interested in watching. Hopefully the Canucks will go 0-48 and get a good pick.

Its funny how everyone bitches and complains about the NHL and NHLPA taking all the fans for granted and then as soon as the lockout is "maybe" over, everyone clamours back.

Anyone who jumps back on board to a 48 game season has no reason to b!tch next time a lockout/strike happens because you are part of the problem.
Things you own, end up owning you.

#36 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 28,201 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

So you're not interested in watching hockey but you'll moan on an NHL message board instead? If I'm going to take the time to participate, you'd better believe that will include watching the games once hockey returns. If you're packing it in, do so. But your post means you're not. I'll jump back on board for selfish reasons, that are mostly centered around the fact that my life in the winter is pretty empty without hockey.

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#37 Stelar

Stelar

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

So you're not interested in watching hockey but you'll moan on an NHL message board instead? If I'm going to take the time to participate, you'd better believe that will include watching the games once hockey returns. If you're packing it in, do so. But your post means you're not. I'll jump back on board for selfish reasons, that are mostly centered around the fact that my life in the winter is pretty empty without hockey.

My post actually means I am bored surfing the net. I like to watch the ups and downs of fans who say they are never coming back and the owners and players have screwed them bad and then any sniff of a settlement they all forget how pathetic they have been treated the last 3 months.
Things you own, end up owning you.

#38 stanley2012

stanley2012

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

You said it yourself... slow starters.. They catch fire at the mid point of the season, which would be playoffs this season. Catch fire at the right time...

#39 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hate to break it to you OP. Every team is in the exact same position. LOL. Imagine being on the Kings, riding high from their championship and have to wait an extra 4 months to share their cup with their fans?? The momentum will have dropped too.
Life is short, LIVE IT

#40 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Doesn't matter if we get a slow start or win 48 straight if we get to the playoffs only to be manhandled and ragdolled like biatches,
a la 2010/2011/2012

#41 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

It wont matter if our team is a little slow to start. We got Cory in the nets with Luongo backing him up. Take your time getting to mid season form guys.

#42 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

I knew this was a Mr. Reputable thread before I even clicked on it
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#43 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Add to this, the Canucks core are lazily taking time off and not playing in Europe save for Schneider. The Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, Edler, and others are stuck in their couches while other teams are playing in Europe, AHL, Spengler, etc.

This is the biggest concern, to me. I don't understand why these guys haven't been playing. Shinny with your teammates is not exactly representative of a competitive game.

And then, of course, if the Canucks miss the playoffs, on will come the chorus of "we were screwed by the NHL, the Cup would've been ours if the season was started in October", etc.

#44 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

Do you fly to Pennsylvania work for a few hrs and fly to another city to work for another few hours spend a night at the hotel and then fly to another city? Or do you go to Pa. stay there for an extended time and come home to Vancouver on your days off?

it is an issue. The team spends millions on attempts to mitigate the affects of travel by hiring sleep doctors to psychiatrists. Just look what Team Canada did for the Juniors team this year. Any one who has ever been on an air plane can tell you jet lag is real and traveling to different time zones affects your sleep patern. Travel is a huge issue.

Would you rather be NYR who is a 1 or 2 hr bus ride to most of their division games or Canucks who's closest trip is Calgary. Would you rather drive home a 2 hr bus ride and sleep in your own bed or sleep in a hotel room hundreds of miles away.

Also playing a sport at world class level is a lot different than waking up and going to a conference. And then having to do it again the next night after another plane ride can get pretty hard on the body.

Boo-hoo. Not a new phenomenon. Vancouver's geographic location hasn't changed, ever. This whole "travel schedule" BS is a Mike Gillis creation that we simply did not hear about very much prior to his arrival.

And let's not forget the flipside of the location; the fact that we're at an advantage when visitors have to fly all the way in to play us. But of course, that is also never discussed. Only the excuses.

#45 combover

combover

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

might be a good year to tank and get a great prospect we all know this team needs it.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#46 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

and last season's excuse was that the season was too long and our trip to the finals didn't give the cancuks enough time to rest

#47 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

I think Canucks fans are THE MOST NEGATIVE fan base of any team in the league
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#48 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

This is the biggest concern, to me. I don't understand why these guys haven't been playing. Shinny with your teammates is not exactly representative of a competitive game.

And then, of course, if the Canucks miss the playoffs, on will come the chorus of "we were screwed by the NHL, the Cup would've been ours if the season was started in October", etc.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Edited by Mr. Reputable, 29 December 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#49 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Judging from the board, I would say quite the opposite is true. Hodgson is the next Bure!!! Kassian is the next Bertuzzzzii!!1 ZOMG Corrado is a stud!!!!

You might be mistaking reality for negativity.

Thankfully there are a few posters here whohave one foot planted in the real world.

Edited by scottiecanuck, 29 December 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#50 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Judging from the board, I would say quite the opposite is true. Hodgson is the next Bure!!! Kassian is the next Bertuzzzzii!!1 ZOMG Corrado is a stud!!!!

You might be mistaking reality for negativity.

Totally agree, we overhype prospects, defends Luongo to no end, proclains MG as god and he makes no mistakes.

#51 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, but knowing you, if the Canuck players had gone overseas, you would have complained about how they are stealing jobs from players in Europe and have abandoned hope for an NHL season.

Jagermeister.jpg

#52 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

You are over rating it and I am under rating it i guess
NY is a bus ride to New Jersey and Long Island, Pitt, Philly, Boston are still a plane ride. Do you honestly think you can take a bus from pitt to philly? haha. look at chicago, nash, dal, actually, 90% of the league cant take a bus to any game!
It's not like its a crazy disadvantage, you make it sound like they play a home and home with the florida panthers every other day.
The kings and ducks have won cups.
Calgary is a 45 min plane ride in a luxurious private jet. Vancouver is an extra 45 min plane ride past Calgary and they are in the same division. this extra 45 mins is making this huge difference?

And god forbid if they have to go from one luxurious hotel to the other in back to back games

Life is hard playing a game you love for millions of dollars while traveling around North America.

Worst excuse ever, right up there with my dog ate my homework. Or I got chlamydia from a public toilet seat, baby I swear!

Don't know if I'm over rating it, I've never said we lost a cup or failed to make the playoffs because of travel. But if less travel gives my team a 1% advantage overall I'll take that 1%.

With the team being older, and travel being an issue its better imo to have a shorter season and no out of conference games. It can only help.

Some teams travel 27 to 30 thousand miles per year. 13 teams travel less than 40 thousand miles. Only 5 teams travel over 50 thousand miles. SJS, PHX , VAN, EDM and MIN

It's not just MG. I've watched this team for over 25 years. It's always been an issue. MG just attempted to do something about it to mitigate the affects. He has attempted to get the league to schedule less back 2 back games etc on top of sleep doctors.

#53 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

They're definitely not lazing around. You cannot afford to do that as a professional athlete. Most can't anyway.

ahhhhhhhh byfuglien

Posted Image

#54 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Would still rather have a smaller chance to win the Cup than none at all. I was also a bit worried about the possibility of a slow start, but the Canucks are an elite team, the short season should not be an excuse.

#55 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,599 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

I think it will be to our benefit honestly.

Everyone is skating, everyone is keeping active so across the board the energy level should be the same for all teams.

Where I think it helps us is in the playoffs, shorter season = less injures and less wear and tear, so we will be more fresh than in previous years and when we are at our best I think we are the best team in the league, or atleast one of them.

zackass.png

#56 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,632 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

ahhhhhhhh byfuglien

And Ovechkin. Just an assumption given he hasn't been the same player for a couple seasons now. Rumors of him being lazy in the off season, I think. But he has so much skill he can afford to do it. Still better than 90% of the league.
Posted Image

#57 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Most people are either a sky is falling, panic at the first sign of trouble type or an overconfident, Pom-Pom waving cheerleader.

#58 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

As 'vanfan' and Mr. Reputable have stated,this team is all about Kesler being healthy.

Kes can make Booth and Kes can carry the team.

Most of all,healthy Ryan means the Sedins are not the complete focus.

10 game season is fine with me as long as Kes is at the top of his game.

#59 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,191 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Most people are either a sky is falling, panic at the first sign of trouble type or an overconfident, Pom-Pom waving cheerleader.

I don't see why you can't be supportive and optimistic without being a cheerleader. Isn't that what being a fan is about?

Should we all just be non emotional, ho-hum type of fans?

Edited by DeNiro, 29 December 2012 - 09:37 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#60 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Every single fan base claims their fan base has the most negative nancies and wagoners. The bigger the base and more successful the team, the truer it is.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.