232 replies to this topic

#1 7thMan

7thMan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

After 113 hockey-less days and having gone collectively through all of the stages of grief, we know that the season will start in a couple of weeks and the greedy players have come to an agreement with the greedier owners. But before we have all accepted the fate of the season and gone through a stage of depression, there was a time when most fans were angry and felt powerless. There were many proposed ways to protest the lockout, many of which were rash and unrealistic, but others were possible.

The most practical and widespread form of protest, was the idea that we would boycott the league in some form. As it turns out, however, it's hard to boycott a business that is already withholding its product from you. Now, for the first time since this lockout began, the fans have chance to actually get revenge on the league

So, do you see a point in trying to stick it to The Man? If so, how will you be boycotting the NHL?

#2 *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

*VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS*

Lul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,605 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

POPULAR

All I know is I will be in front of the TV when the first game is aired

Posted Image

^Vintage Canuck^

CDC STHS Hockey League Commissioner

CDC STHS Tampa Bay Lightning

#3 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

You know, we probably should, considering the idiocy that went on during the lockout. However, now that the season is starting (finally) I can't seem to help but have those same old feelings of anticipation I always get at the start of the season.

I don't know if I have the power to ignore what the Canucks are up to this year...
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#4 AppleJack

AppleJack

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

I won't refuse to watch games like some fans are doing but I refuse to buy any more canuck merch until the playoffs (I always buy a playofff shirt and a playoff towel) so in that way I will be boycotting the NHL.

Posted Image
Do Not Trade TanevPosted Image

Thanks TS <3

formely known as Gillyfluffball

#5 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I might if they have 20 teams in the playoffs. That'd just be BS.

#6 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,497 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Won't be paying to go to games that's for sure. But I'll definitely be watching at home and hitting up the local restaurants and sports bars. They deserve the support.

To boycott the NHL all together would be more detrimental to me than to them. It's the best quality of hockey in the world, so why would I not watch it?
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#7 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,530 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I may tear up

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#8 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,372 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I'm going to boycott the people who boycott the NHL.

Subbancopy.jpg

#9 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,551 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

I have waited too long for my hockey. Not a chance that I boycott it when I finally have a chance to watch it.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#10 Brad Marchand

Brad Marchand

Sphincter

• Members
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Will watch like I always have, but not going to spend any money on tickets or merchandise for a while.
Luc Bourdon & Rick Rypien: Forever Canucks

#11 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,496 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

wont be purchasing nhl center ice for a long time now been a subscriber for 5 years won't buy any nhl merchandise until this cba expires and a new one is signed with no lockouts

#12 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

YES I will be BOYCOTTING the GREEDY NHL players and owners. It's time the fans sent a MESSAGE that we will not take this BLATANT DISRESPECT. The NHL needs to learn a LESSON that.....ah frack it, I LOVE YOU NHL.

#13 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Watching games. Won't buy merch or tickets to any Canuck games this year. Will be the first time in 10 years (since the last lockout) that I haven't seen a Canucks game live.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#14 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I'm not a hippie...

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#15 6YPE

6YPE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

If the games are on the toob, I will watch it... Center Ice is gone and staying that way, no money will be spent on merchandise, or anything to do with the NHL.....

11s35sy.png

Sig by -Vintage Canuck-

#16 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I won't refuse to watch games like some fans are doing but I refuse to buy any more canuck merch until the playoffs (I always buy a playofff shirt and a playoff towel) so in that way I will be boycotting the NHL.

Won't be paying to go to games that's for sure. But I'll definitely be watching at home and hitting up the local restaurants and sports bars. They deserve the support.

To boycott the NHL all together would be more detrimental to me than to them. It's the best quality of hockey in the world, so why would I not watch it?

Will watch like I always have, but not going to spend any money on tickets or merchandise for a while.

Watching games. Won't buy merch or tickets to any Canuck games this year.

Same here, I love hockey too much to not watch it but I'll be damned if I buy any NHL products for a long while.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 06 January 2013 - 02:16 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#17 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,024 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

If teachers go on strike again will you boycot sending your kids to school when they return to work? If there is another beer strike will you boycott drinking beer when they return to work? How about an airline strike, will you never fly again?

People need to understand that the NHL is in fact a business, not a right. Any business that invloves a union will face labor disputes. Such is life. Welcome to the real world. The crybabies can curl up and suck their thumbs while the rest of us enjoy our favorite sport.

Game on....drop the puck!
Posted Image

#18 7thMan

7thMan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

POPULAR

If teachers go on strike again will you boycot sending your kids to school when they return to work? If there is another beer strike will you boycott drinking beer when they return to work? How about an airline strike, will you never fly again?

People need to understand that the NHL is in fact a business, not a right. Any business that invloves a union will face labor disputes. Such is life. Welcome to the real world. The crybabies can curl up and suck their thumbs while the rest of us enjoy our favorite sport.

The difference between teachers going on strike and the NHL owners and players going on strike is that an NHL player makes on average 50 times more than a teacher and an owner rakes in an average of 1000 times more. Teachers go on strike for all sorts of reasons outside of money. Not only do they look after their own well-being, they fight for more funding to our education system. What do the NHL owners fight for? Money. What do the players fight for? Money.

And if we were sending our kids to private schools and they were striking, you bet we would switch schools.

#19 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Funny, I don't remember any teacher's strike lasting 3.5 months where union workers complained about being paid $575,000 instead of a million.

I think the major complaint that fans have is that the players are so out of touch with the 'real world', as you put it. The NHL is a business, and we are the consumers. As consumers, we have a right not purchase certain products. You're entitled to indulge in hockey and the NHL as much as you like, but I don't understand why you seem to have such a strong opinion against those who are making their own personal choice not to purchase certain things.

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#20 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Debating, but the main team I am cheering for after 12 years has changed.

Flyers baby!
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#21 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,024 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

The difference between teachers going on strike and the NHL owners and players going on strike is that an NHL player makes on average 50 times more than a teacher and an owner rakes in an average of 1000 times more. Teachers go on strike for all sorts of reasons outside of money. Not only do they look after their own well-being, they fight for more funding to our education system. What do the NHL owners fight for? Money. What do the players fight for? Money.

And if we were sending our kids to private schools and they were striking, you bet we would switch schools.

Funny, I don't remember any teacher's strike lasting 3.5 months where union workers complained about being paid $575,000 instead of a million.

I think the major complaint that fans have is that the players are so out of touch with the 'real world', as you put it. The NHL is a business, and we are the consumers. As consumers, we have a right not purchase certain products. You're entitled to indulge in hockey and the NHL as much as you like, but I don't understand why you seem to have such a strong opinion against those who are making their own personal choice not to purchase certain things.

Whoooosh! Right over your heads. It doesn't matter in the least what they make. It's simply a labor dispute as it is in any other business. The NHL is in fact a business not a right

You have the right to do as you please regardless of how silly I see it to be. Are you going to watch the games on TV? If so you are giving the team financial support. Advertising cost and what the networks pay are based on TV ratings. If you watch you are helping to boost the ratings.
Posted Image

#22 Scoobydooby

Scoobydooby

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Pft.. not I

I won't be watching any of this shortened season... the nhl and nhlpa don't deserve any attention at all after their complete disregard for the fans was shown through this process. They seem to think that lockouts are just a part of sports and that fans will just willingly come back with open arms.. if many other businesses did this they would be severely hampered by the backlash.. why should the nhl be any different?

They deserve all the bad publicity and I am glad that they lost a lot of money and fan support in this process.. their greed should not be rewarded just because fans want their hockey back.
Why would anyone want to watch a shortened season anyway? The achievement of winning the cup would be tarnished in my eyes anyway.

Whatever.. no nhl for me.. they have lost my support and will need to do more than just put players back on the ice to get me back.

Posted Image

#23 Nuck_Family_in_SD

Nuck_Family_in_SD

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Whoooosh! Right over your heads. It doesn't matter in the least what they make. It's simply a labor dispute as it is in any other business. The NHL is in fact a business not a right

You have the right to do as you please regardless of how silly I see it to be. Are you going to watch the games on TV? If so you are giving the team financial support. Advertising cost and what the networks pay are based on TV ratings. If you watch you are helping to boost the ratings.

Woosh! Seems the true impact of this lockout is right over YOUR head! I don't claim to know everything about it to the extent that many here do, but I do know that the season was trashed from DAY 1 when the players were locked out before any attempt to make a deal was made. Your teacher analogy is apples to oranges. Teachers provide an invaluable service to our children, are typically underpaid, and they are not (personally) a business. To compare them to greedy NHL team owners, players and league is disrespectful to teachers. Most other businesses hire replacement workers so the customer is not inconvenienced while negotiations take place, but in the case of this lockout, it was complete disregard for the customer, the FAN, the source of the MONEY. Without us, there would be no NHL, except for people like you who can be treated like crap and disrespected and you come back with wallet open and a smiling face. The NHL exists for you.

Like others here, our family won't punish local restaurants and sports bars, they're innocent. Just watching games on TV? Not sure how NHL makes money on me just watching. How do they know we watch?? Whether we watch or not, the ads get played no matter. It'd be nice if the advertisers stepped up and did a little boycotting. Maybe we fans should spend a little less with the advertisers?

Somehow we need to be a voice and send a message that this type of behavior is unacceptable from the NHL.
They exist for us, not the other way around.

#24 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,704 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Small businesses like pubs need and deserve my support, especially considering a majority of their revenue comes from sporting events. The league in itself as well as the PA can lick my salos.

Not sure how I can do that, but it's common that after most Canuck games, my buddies and I hit up our preferred pub. I will probably do the same, but skip the part where I watch the game. One less number for the league to use as a statistic.

#25 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,773 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Not spending anything on merch and tickets. Not watching games at home.

If the game is one when I'm in a pub or restaurant, I may watch but my money is going to the Juniors.

#26 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

NO.

#27 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,967 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

The media is busy selling that the fans will merely forgive and forget as usual, certainly. And why not? Those fools depend on us more than the league and players do.

There will be a downturn in attendance and revenue. Yes, the sucker loyal fan will be back, but it's the loss of the disgruntled fan and the sick and tired casual fan that will sting.

I'm looking forward to not paying anything for what i'll be watching this season.
Posted Image

#28 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,460 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

You are missing the point. I am already paying for the channels that broadcast games. I will continue to watch the games because I love hockey.

I'm not naive. Me not attending a game or not buying a jersey will not make any difference in the lives of the Aquilinis. The reason I am not paying to attend games is because I don't want to spend my own money on such things, because I believe the product is not deserving of my money. Not spending $200 to see a game won't mean anything to this organization, but it will save me a lot of money, money I can spend on something I feel has earned it.

#29 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Pft.. not I

I won't be watching any of this shortened season... the nhl and nhlpa don't deserve any attention at all after their complete disregard for the fans was shown through this process. They seem to think that lockouts are just a part of sports and that fans will just willingly come back with open arms.. if many other businesses did this they would be severely hampered by the backlash.. why should the nhl be any different?

They deserve all the bad publicity and I am glad that they lost a lot of money and fan support in this process.. their greed should not be rewarded just because fans want their hockey back.
Why would anyone want to watch a shortened season anyway? The achievement of winning the cup would be tarnished in my eyes anyway.

Whatever.. no nhl for me.. they have lost my support and will need to do more than just put players back on the ice to get me back.

As a Canucks fan, I totally won't care if they win the Cup in a short season.

Nobody ever seems to knock the Devils in '95, so screw it.

Who knows, maybe Kes will be ready for the playoffs
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#30 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I don't live in Vancouver so I obviously wonn't be going to any games but I will watch them all if I have to pay for NHL CenterIce or not.

canucks141.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.