Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[PTO] Cam Barker with Canucks?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
126 replies to this topic

#91 Beefcake

Beefcake

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Welcome to the Canucks organization Cam

#92 NuckMan

NuckMan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

So while I don't mind Barker getting a PTO with the team, I have it on fairly good authority that he has some substance abuse issues that have really reduced his career to the sad state it is in today. Secondly, you have to figure that eventually the organization is going to want to try to move some prospects up through the pipeline to the squad. I don't know how Barker is going to fit into the equation.

#93 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

That's what people said last year when Edmonton picked him up. They needed D (and still do) and yet they let him go.

Edmonton isn't really the greatest change of scenery.... -_-
Posted Image

#94 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,385 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

So while I don't mind Barker getting a PTO with the team, I have it on fairly good authority that he has some substance abuse issues that have really reduced his career to the sad state it is in today. Secondly, you have to figure that eventually the organization is going to want to try to move some prospects up through the pipeline to the squad. I don't know how Barker is going to fit into the equation.

May the best man win.

People and players get chances. At 26 this is a good one for him. Great organization if he can just get down to business and play hockey.

Edited by Dogbyte, 09 January 2013 - 10:28 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#95 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,216 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Edmonton isn't really the greatest change of scenery.... -_-

Why do you say that? He'd have gotten plenty of opportunity to succeed on the PP like he did in Chicago his career year. He'd have plenty of offensive support as well from all the young stars as well as the pretty useful veterans in Smith and Hemsky. If he couldn't make that work after also getting dropped by Minny and traded by Chicago, that's not Edmonton's fault.

Does that mean he hasn't found his game now or won't succeed with us, even if it is only in a 7/8 d-man role? Nothing's a given, but he has an uphill battle.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#96 NuckMan

NuckMan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

May the best man win.

People and players get chances. At 26 this is a good one for him. Great organization if he can just get down to business and play hockey.

I'm all in favor of him getting a shot, and if he makes it, he makes it. The Canucks have nothing to lose. However, if what I understand is true, I'm concerned about his commitment to the game. No one has a fall from grace like his for no reason.

I don't believe he will make the team. Especially if we pick up a dman in the near future here,

#97 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,653 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Even if he doesn't make the team, we could potentially have him on the Wolves for depth at least.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#98 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

I'm all in favor of him getting a shot, and if he makes it, he makes it. The Canucks have nothing to lose. However, if what I understand is true, I'm concerned about his commitment to the game. No one has a fall from grace like his for no reason.

I don't believe he will make the team. Especially if we pick up a dman in the near future here,

Well if anything we can trade him to Florida for a fourth or third liner or even a decent prospect.
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#99 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,537 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Yea, but can you call him a bust a s an 8th defenseman?

If he sucks or he has attitude problems, you put him on waivers.

At this point, I don't see a whole lot of options for D-men out there. We need a cheap depth defenseman. Maybe we can get that through a trade, but time will tell.

I agree, I think this is a great move, when he is on his game he can play a solid all round game, we just have to see if he can stay on his game. He has the talent and upside, he just needs to be more consistent and hopefully we can give him that and he can be a solid depth guy.

zackass.png

#100 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

The first time you replied with your stock answer of "need big tough, we small weak" I thought to myself I was glad actual hockey was back. The second time I saw it, I reminded myself I have to take the good with the bad. The third time I saw it I knew I lasted through it last year. The fourth time I saw it, I started thinking about my ignore list.

Sadly, size has very little to do with helping our team if he's so bad he doesn't play. Understand?

So apparently you still do not understand. A complete hockey team needs all kinds of different elements. You need skills, speed, leadership, and of course physical sizes and TOUGHNESS. Hitting and fighting, cheap shots are all part of the sport that you are watching, you still don't understand why we need someone who can stand up to other teams' bad boys?

#101 NuckMan

NuckMan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

Well if anything we can trade him to Florida for a fourth or third liner or even a decent prospect.

At this point he can't even crack a NHL roster, so I doubt you get any assets back in a sign and trade scenario, which is problematic to begin with.

Edited by NuckMan, 09 January 2013 - 11:49 PM.

#102 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

Cam Barker hasn't been able to make the jump from junior to pro, especially the NHL level. I remember when people were considering him to be equal or even better than Seabrook in junior, but it's clear that Barker is still struggling to find his game at the pro level, even after all these years.

I hope Barker figures it out, but IMO the Canucks should stay away.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#103 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

It's a no loss for the nucks. You never know. The guy is still young and has some upside. If anything he pushes the other guys to earn their jobs.

#104 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,653 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Cam Barker hasn't been able to make the jump from junior to pro, especially the NHL level. I remember when people were considering him to be equal or even better than Seabrook in junior, but it's clear that Barker is still struggling to find his game at the pro level, even after all these years.

I hope Barker figures it out, but IMO the Canucks should stay away.

He scored 40 points in 68 games in the NHL in 08-09. At that time it looked like he was becoming the third overall pick that he was touted to be.

But everything seemed to come off the rails after that season. His point totals started to take a hit. And people started questioning his game, until ultimately he was traded to the Wild.

There's been rumors of drug or alchohol abuse. I don't know if that's true or not because I have no proof. All I know is something happened to him after that 08-09 season that changed his game.

He's still only 26 years old. Which is the age alot of players start to enter their prime. It's not inconceivable to see him bounce back, and become a decent player again. He just needs a team to give him a chance. Good for the Canucks for giving him that chance. There's really little risk involved, but the reward could be good.

Edited by DeNiro, 10 January 2013 - 01:14 AM.

Posted Image

#105 austy

austy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Didn't he play for Canada in the Spengler cup? How did he go?

please be gentle with my posts...I am Australian, hockey isnt my first language.

#106 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,653 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

Didn't he play for Canada in the Spengler cup? How did he go?

Canada won the cup. He played 4 games had 0 points and was a +4.

Here's him receiving the cup from Smyth:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#107 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Why do you say that? He'd have gotten plenty of opportunity to succeed on the PP like he did in Chicago his career year. He'd have plenty of offensive support as well from all the young stars as well as the pretty useful veterans in Smith and Hemsky. If he couldn't make that work after also getting dropped by Minny and traded by Chicago, that's not Edmonton's fault.

Does that mean he hasn't found his game now or won't succeed with us, even if it is only in a 7/8 d-man role? Nothing's a given, but he has an uphill battle.

Lol, i was more referring to the bad scenery of the city of Edmonton itself as a joke rather than the actual team.
Posted Image

#108 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,216 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

So apparently you still do not understand. A complete hockey team needs all kinds of different elements. You need skills, speed, leadership, and of course physical sizes and TOUGHNESS. Hitting and fighting, cheap shots are all part of the sport that you are watching, you still don't understand why we need someone who can stand up to other teams' bad boys?

Oh, I understand just fine. It's you who makes your username ironic since Cam Barker doesn't play very tough and gritty. He's averaged 1.2 hits per game over his career but has been criticized for letting players rough up the goalie and out of 7 fights the last four years, has won only 2 of them.

As a comparison, Bieksa is 6'1", 200 but has had 20 fights in that time, winning 16 of them. Even if the ratings on HockeyFights.com are skewed by fans, Bieksa is a much tougher player despite being smaller. Bieksa averaged just over 2 hits a game last year as well. Dale Weise is 6'2", 210 but had more fights last year (8) than Barker in the last 4 years. Weise averaged 1.75 hits a game. Barker just isn't a tough guy despite being 6'3", 220.

Feel free to provide some actual evidence to the contrary, and then feel free to support that evidence with more evidence as to why he'd be a better player on the ice for the time when he isn't being needed as "someone who can stand up to other teams' bad boys" than anyone else we could have on the roster from our current pool of players.

Edited by elvis15, 10 January 2013 - 11:09 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#109 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Can never be upset with adding another dman, maybe he will fit our system better than edm and min

#110 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

He's got bust written all over him but we have nothing to lose so...

But has played on a team like the Canucks.............we are evilly good

"He can have his tryout. But I don't want Barker. He just flat-out sucks. Minnesota and Edmonton have already tried the "reclamation" project with him. It didn't work."

Who??? Oh well if teams of the "stature" of Edmonton and Minnesota can't turn him round we have absolutely no chance.........right?

Edited by Bodee, 11 January 2013 - 11:37 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#111 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

good to give the guy a shot

#112 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Not Ballard.

Yeh well Ballard gets a bye because he is one of the coolest smoothest hip checking mf on the planet................on his natural side.
Kevin.jpg

#113 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Official - Blake Price reported just moments ago on the Team1040, that AV confirmed Barker accepted a PTO today.

Thread can now be marked official.

#114 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 76,184 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Heres a source:

@benkuzma: Vigneault confirmed UFA defenceman Cam Barker has accepted PTO.

307mg00.jpg

#115 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,862 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

AV said he wants a puck-mover so it's going to be a battle between K-Conn and Barker.

#116 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

meh
Posted Image

#117 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,537 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I like this, if he plays at his best he can be quite good, a solid depth pickup, barring he doesn't have a disastrous camp I hope we sign him, like the move, he's better than Vandermeer IMO.

zackass.png

#118 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

I like this, if he plays at his best he can be quite good, a solid depth pickup, barring he doesn't have a disastrous camp I hope we sign him, like the move, he's better than Vandermeer IMO.

Maybe but has he got Vandermeer's pushback?
Kevin.jpg

#119 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

It reminds me of the Bryan Fogarty situation, couple decades back. They say that kid was a player(even the gm's daughter said so!). Lost his battle with the bottle, but the Nords were just a bunch of kids then. Maybe with the character vets Van has, this has a chance?..

#120 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Barker is a good old Canadian boy that likes to have a normal amount of fun, unfortunately a normal amount of fun isnt a good match to perform at en elite level. i think there is no risk here and a class move by the Canucks. He had injury problems as well so why not give the kid a shot. He's got the skill set and ive seen him play very,very solid before.

Who knows at 26 Cam could realize that now is his time and the Nucks could find themselves with a solid depth defensemen.

Welcome to the Canucks Cam, play your heart out and stay focused bud.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.