Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Burke Says He's Never Been Fired Before

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,764 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Brian Burke knew exactly what to do. Didn’t even need to think about it for more than a second.

As soon as he learned he had been relieved of his duties as general manager of hockey’s most scrutinized team, he bolted from the Air Canada Centre to pick up his two youngest daughters, aged 7 and 8, at school.

“I called the older kids on the way, but I wanted the little ones to hear it from me first,” Burke told the Star today in an exclusive interview.

“They were okay. They just wanted to know if we’d have to move again. I said no.”

This morning, 48 hours after being dismissed in shocking fashion by the Maple Leafs and then agreeing to become a senior advisor to the team, the 57-year-old Burke walked into his preferred neighborhood coffee shop wearing a grey Providence College sweatshirt and a leather jacket.

No ball cap, no sunglasses. No attempt to hide, no sense of wanting not to be seen or recognized.

“I was floored, and I still am stunned. I’ve never been fired before,” he said about Wednesday’s announcement. “How am I doing? I’m doing okay.

“I’m so grateful I had a chance to run the crown jewel franchise of the NHL. I’m grateful to have been given the chance to live in Toronto. I love this city and I am grateful for the support of the fans.”

This was his second visit to his favourite Starbucks of the morning — he was up at 4:30 a.m. to work out, then out for his first coffee at 5:30 a.m. — and came after a neighbour had pointed out to him that the back window of one of his cars had been smashed in.

“I don’t know if it was a disgruntled fan or not,” he said in his first interview since being dismissed. “But they didn’t steal anything.”

Burke was driving to the airport on Wednesday to catch a 10:30 a.m. flight to New York for an NHL board of governors meeting when he answered a phone call from Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment chief operating officer Tom Anselmi. Anselmi asked Burke to instead come to the team’s offices at the Air Canada Centre where he was told he wasn’t in charge of the Leafs anymore.

When the late Pat Burns was dismissed as Leaf head coach 17 years ago, he immediately left for the Eastern Townships.

Burke, however, has no intention of going anywhere, at least not yet.

“My daughters need me around for a few days,” he said. “This is not a time to get out of town.”

He gave his older children tickets to the New England Patriots home playoff game this weekend, and may join them for that. On Thursday, without the responsibilities of running the Leafs any longer, he went to an afternoon matinee of the film Jack Reacher, choosing that movie over Hyde Park on the Hudson and Lincoln.

“It was great,” he smiled. “First time in my life I’ve ever been to a midweek matinee. First time I’ve ever gone to a movie alone.”

Otherwise, he’s still digesting his dismissal, still at a loss to explain why he isn’t running the Leafs anymore. Burke is under contract to the Leafs for the rest of this season and next, and he fully intends to help his former assistant, Dave Nonis, as a consultant, a job he suggested to chairman Larry Tanenbaum and Anselmi when they relieved him of his GM duties.

“I think I can help,” he said. “I’ve been at this for a while. I have my name on the Stanley Cup. I’ll do whatever I can.”

Burke, grateful for the dozens of calls of support he has received from NHL people and other friends over the past two days, will hold a press conference at the ACC on Saturday morning to discuss the events of the week and his future plans.

“I wish Dave (Nonis) and the Toronto Maple Leafs all the success in the world,” he said. “I’ll do my best to help them win.”

Which begs the question, was he actually fired from the Canucks? Or was he needed in Anaheim to win a cup for them after the lockout, and therefore released?

I believe the official record is that the Canucks fired him.

comeundone.gif

#2 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

memory loss
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#3 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hmmm,as far as I know the Canucks fired him.
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#4 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Which begs the question, was he actually fired from the Canucks? Or was he needed in Anaheim to win a cup for them after the lockout, and therefore released?

Or did they just not renew his contract?
Posted Image

#5 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

They didn't renew his contract, so he was not fired.

#6 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Yep

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#7 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Canucks hung him out to dry, but did not fire him. They told him during his last season, they were not renewing his contract.

Our OLD management, used to be pretty scummy.

#8 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,526 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Hence the reason he called himself a "lame duck GM."

Posted Image

#9 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,764 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hence the reason he called himself a "lame duck GM."

Solution: Become a cup-winning Duck GM.

Thanks for clearing this up, folks.

comeundone.gif

#10 BCNeil

BCNeil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

He wasn't fired, he was demoted to some fake fluff job.

#11 7thMan

7thMan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

You've got to feel bad for the guy. He made some weird trades (ahem, Phil Kessel), but he did a lot of good, too. He certainly isn't the god he's always made out to be, though. He makes bold decisions (Sedins, Pronger, Kessel again) and sometimes they turn out great, other times they turn out terrible. He doesn't deserve to be practically run out of Toronto.

#12 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,058 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

well tecnically he's not fired, he just got demoted.... because hes till working in the Leafs head office.

but no need to feel bad for him, he's still making 5 million dollars per year. It happens in life. sometimes people lose their job, and get fired. I do feel sorry that his car got smashed. that's uncalled for.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#13 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,621 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

well tecnically he's not fired, he just got demoted.... because hes till working in the Leafs head office.

but no need to feel bad for him, he's still making 5 million dollars per year. It happens in life. sometimes people lose their job, and get fired. I do feel sorry that his car got smashed. that's uncalled for.

Pretty much the same thing as being fired. "Hey, we don't think you're doing a good job so you're out and Nonuts is in."

I think I would rather be canned altogether.
Posted Image

#14 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Nonis is going to trade for Luongo, then get fired after two seasons.
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#15 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

His kids have playoff tickets to the Patriots? Jealous.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#16 AnchorCanuck

AnchorCanuck

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Where did you hear about that..? O_o

#17 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hmmm,as far as I know the Canucks fired him.

I stand corrected,never too old to learn something new
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#18 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Or did they just not renew his contract?

This. His contract expired after the 03/04 season and as him and McCaw did not get along too well, his contract was not renewed and the Canucks choose to move on with Nonis.

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#19 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,897 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

His contract here expired. No different than a UFA leaving.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#20 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Still can't quite understand how some people find her attractive.

To each his/her own, I guess.

Well I don't think she's ugly, she's kinda attractive but no bombshell that's for sure. When I first heard about it I was in denial the whole time I didn't think it was true at all. I was really convinced that Burke would not do something like that, especially after what happened with his family and losing his kid. Then I started doing a lot of searching and realized this is something that has taken place, but it's trying to be covered up by other stories, even some Toronto websites are being locked so people can't read about it, when I started seeing things like that I was shocked.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#21 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,764 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

lol At Hazel Mae getting it on with Brian Burke. Sounds like a rumour that would be made up by a few of her co-workers.

comeundone.gif

#22 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

His contract here expired. No different than a UFA leaving.

Totally agree. Still Burke uses it as a technicality. The Canucks didn't want him back plain and simple. Toronto fired him. One came with a contract the other didn't. What's the diff Brian, you weren't wanted. You got your Stanley Cup on the cheap in Anaheim, you know that one too.

1. No renewed contract.

2. Fired

3. Cheap Stanley Cup

It's a tri-fecta the way I see it.

Also, no one really jumped in when he was fired and tried defending this guy did they? He's made a lot of enemies with his contemporaries, agents, media, fans and players. He then states that's what you get, I'm not changing and it's your fault if you didn't know what you were getting attitude. The guy doesn't accept one drop of responsibility for his own demise. It's everything else and every one else but not Brian Burke.

So hearing him state he's never been fired didn't surprise me because I already knew he's a snake oil salesman from listening to what he and Glen Sather promised the community their commitment to keeping WHL hockey in Chilliwack for the long haul then turning and running. A lot of people committed their money in Chilliwack on the premiss they were getting a long term commitment from Sather and Burke.

A lot of people in Chilliwack stood up and clapped the day , the only time, you ever got fired.

#23 Johnny Shotgun

Johnny Shotgun

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

And jails are full of " I'm not guilty " types too. Once a blowhard always a blowhard.
No one escapes my blast!

#24 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

This. His contract expired after the 03/04 season and as him and McCaw did not get along too well, his contract was not renewed and the Canucks choose to move on with Nonis.

It was Stan McCammon ( McCaws right hand man ) that he did not get along with and the rumour was the reason he did not get his contract renewed was because he went and signed Bertuzzi to a larger deal then ownership had wanted him to offer
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#25 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Totally agree. Still Burke uses it as a technicality. The Canucks didn't want him back plain and simple. Toronto fired him. One came with a contract the other didn't. What's the diff Brian, you weren't wanted. You got your Stanley Cup on the cheap in Anaheim, you know that one too.

1. No renewed contract.

2. Fired

3. Cheap Stanley Cup

It's a tri-fecta the way I see it.

Also, no one really jumped in when he was fired and tried defending this guy did they? He's made a lot of enemies with his contemporaries, agents, media, fans and players. He then states that's what you get, I'm not changing and it's your fault if you didn't know what you were getting attitude. The guy doesn't accept one drop of responsibility for his own demise. It's everything else and every one else but not Brian Burke.

So hearing him state he's never been fired didn't surprise me because I already knew he's a snake oil salesman from listening to what he and Glen Sather promised the community their commitment to keeping WHL hockey in Chilliwack for the long haul then turning and running. A lot of people committed their money in Chilliwack on the premiss they were getting a long term commitment from Sather and Burke.

A lot of people in Chilliwack stood up and clapped the day , the only time, you ever got fired.

blah blah blah , You can blame the Abbotsford Heat for the real reason why the Bruins were moved
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#26 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

blah blah blah , You can blame the Abbotsford Heat for the real reason why the Bruins were moved

And because the WHL wanted a team in Victoria. If they didn't the Canucks would likely have tried to get their farm club on Vancouver Island.

I still think its dumb that Abbotsford isn't the Canucks affiliate.

BO KNOWS

#27 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:42 AM

I wasn't the biggest fan of Burke when he was here (mainly because he stuck with Cloutier year after year) but he is a quality General Manager and will find another job with ease. When he was fired in Toronto and had his contract expire in Vancouver it was quite evident that his departure was due to personality conflicts with ownership groups who had not originally hired him.

He isn't afraid to make bold moves. Every team he has managed got better over the course of his tenure. Even his tenure with the Leafs, a failure as it is, the team is still remarkably better positioned than it was when he took the job.

#28 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,637 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

I wasn't the biggest fan of Burke when he was here (mainly because he stuck with Cloutier year after year) but he is a quality General Manager and will find another job with ease. When he was fired in Toronto and had his contract expire in Vancouver it was quite evident that his departure was due to personality conflicts with ownership groups who had not originally hired him.

He isn't afraid to make bold moves. Every team he has managed got better over the course of his tenure. Even his tenure with the Leafs, a failure as it is, the team is still remarkably better positioned than it was when he took the job.

How many playoff games the leaf had since Burke took over the team?

This guy dried up the leaf's prospect pool, handed two first rounders for kessel, and mis-develop his prospects.... Just the money he lose for not making the playoff is enough to get him fire.

He maybe a decent gm in the pre salary cap era where you can just throw money at players to build a winning team, but so far he had done crap for the teams he managed after the introduction of the salary cap

#29 leftcoast

leftcoast

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

He wasn't fired but was driven to the airport

Totally.....i want a fresh, fully healed Willie

#30 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 27,705 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

I thought Hazel Mae can do a lot better than that.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.