The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Ball + Kelly Hrudy to call HNIC late games

Canucks_4_Cup

Certainly, though he was named the Canucks' secondary play-by-play man in 2008 once Shorthouse started calling games on Sportsnet. Every time Shorty calls a game on SPAC, Ball provides the radio play-by-play on TEAM 1040. He's been doing this for four years, becoming quite familiar with calling Canucks games over the past number of seasons. It will be great to hear him call games on television now.

This is great news, Mark Lee and Kevin Weekes were simply awful. It'll be really nice not to hear NUGENT- HOPKINS!!!! being screamed at us whenever he touches the ice.

To the poster above who mentioned Tom Larschied, I think it would be awesome if he was doing the color-commentary again in some capacity. He is kinda old now though and is maybe enjoying his Gillis-induced "retirement".

I'll have to see how Ball does I don't have a strong opinion of him just yet. I probably wouldn't mind Hrudy if he wasn't so anti-Canuck. That was one thing I liked about Weekes, he didn't have that negative attitude towards Vancouver that Simpsons and Hrudy have. I hope everyone likes stories about Al Arbour.

HUGE improvement over Lee/Weekes IMO. Baller's pretty good and Hrudy, while a bit annoying at times is very knowledgeable and by all accounts a really nice guy. Frankly a barking dog and screaming baby would have been an improvement over Lee/Weekes though...lol

Archived